1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is Geno Smith still considered top prospect on most mock drafts?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

2,942 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    I admit, I got caught up in the Geno hype after he put up video game-like numbers in his first 5 games. But after losing the next 5 games (after winning the first 5) then finally breaking the losing streak in less-than-stellar fashion, I still can't find any mock drafts that don't have him as the number 1 overall or top QB prospect going in the draft.

First 5 games: 1996 passing yards, 81.1 completion %, 24 TD, 0 INT, 5-0 team record.

Next 5 games: 1365 passing yards, 60.4 completion %, 11 TD, 5 INT, 0-5 team record.

And his last game (which was his first win in nearly 2 months) wasn't that impressive: 236 passing yards, 71.0 completion %, 2 TD, 0 INT.

I can see him still being a 1st of 2nd round prospect after losing 5 straight games. I'm not saying he should go undrafted because the team around him sucks. But I just can't understand how he gets excused for having a bad team and remains the top prospect on most mock drafts, when Barkley is getting blamed for USC's struggles and has his stock falling each week. This isn't a Barkley thread. This is just a "why is Geno Smith still relevant?" thread.
  2. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Look at his all time stats. 93 TD-20 INT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats no joke. Dude is smart as well. High GPA. High Football intelligence. WVU maybe has the worst defense in college football and even worse oline.He is gonna go 1st overall. Jacksonville or KC. The only other QB Id love to have is Landry Jones. Big accurate arm. 6-6.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    your judgement of QBs is highly questionable
  4. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,006 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    It may not be impressive. But it's far from being bad as well. So he has 35 touchdowns and 5 interceptions on the year. I wish Ash had that stat.
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,862 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Uh, have you watched WV's defense? They couldn't stop the common cold if you rubbed penicilin, antibiotics, Robitussin and Tylenol over their entire uniforms.
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    He definitely isn't the sure-fire prospect that he looked like early on and definitely not on RG3 or Luck's level as a prospect. Once the Big XII defenses adjusted, he wasn't as dominant. I think he is still a 1st rounder but maybe 15th pick at the earliest.

I don't think Barkley, Tyler Wilson or Geno are worth Top-10 picks but who knows, some team will reach for them
  7. burmafrd

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    there is not a single QB prospect I have seen that frankly warrants a first round pick.

But some dumb GMs will reach for a couple
  8. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,841 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    system QB if there ever was one.
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,593 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Hmm, stock has definitely dipped with the team's fortunes, but still a remarkable talent. Has a great arm and touch.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Bad analogy considering there is no cure for the common cold...
  11. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,451 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Is there any particular reason you can't just say I don't agree and give at least one reason?
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,166 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Agree with you of this guy has real potential. 1st overall? Not so sure about that one. Top 10...maybe.

But Landry Jones? meh
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,147 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I can see the love of Geno but I really don't get how a person can want Landry Jones.

That kid is a disaster waiting to happen against top competition and teams that can bring the heat.

He's one of the most scared QBs I've ever seen in the pocket when people are putting pressure on him.

Landry Jones will get eaten alive at the NFL level.
  14. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,386 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I like Aaron Murray the most out of qbs coming out.
  15. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,054 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    What KC will do is a fascinating question. Will a team stretch for a mid-first round qb talent. on the first or second pick? Will a franchise that doesn't traditionally draft qbs in the first round be the team to do it? Will Pioli, who comes from the Tom Brady school, do it, or look for Matt Cassel 2? Would they pick Geno Smith or trade for Alex Smith? Would their fans revolt if they don't stretch for a quarterback and take a defensive lineman, instead?
  16. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,625 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Yeah, i'm not digging the QBs in next year's draft. Maybe a mid round guy like Nassib or Cameron. Geno's not worth selling the farm for. Neither is Tyler Wilson and I think Barkley will bust.
  17. burmafrd

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    I ams surprised at you job.

Juck thinks Tony is one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Is that enough reason for you?