1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Squirrels Aren't Good Pets

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hoofbite, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    [youtube]v0pAIEBpeXA[/youtube]

Look at that thing sink his teeth in and hold on.

"I don't wanna DIEEEEE!!!!"

The mother is just too great when asked if the squirrel doesn't have rabies......."I dunno".

When I was in middle school, my friends and I wanted to release a couple of squirrels into the cafeteria during lunch hour. Catching them was hard as hell but we set up the box+stick+string combo and actually snagged one by baiting him with peanuts.

We let it go and ditched the plan, he was meaner than I had ever imagined and made this weird squirrel-bark noise that was terrifying.
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What a dumb mother to watch as her son holds it
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    [youtube]TqYunoirWRA[/youtube]
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,471 Likes Received
    The squirrel bit the kid. What a shock. It's a wild animal, what did you think it was going to do once it felt threatened?
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
  6. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    It's not like the kid was holding a bomb.
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    That wasn't a rabid animal. That was an annoyed animal that had given the kid more than enough time to let it go.
  9. Tony33

Tony33 Benched

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Considering the kid was no more than 12, he probably thought he had a pet. He likely never considered he would get bite, otherwise I bet he wouldn't have picked it up.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    when I was living in Elmira NY we had a squirrel that would come into the back yard looking for food I one day grabbed a bag of mixed nuts and tossed them toward him one at a time soon he would come up to me and climb on my shoulder and I could feed him and he would hang on to the screen door and knock it back and forth till I would come outside and feed him..pretty cool but when I left again (Army) my mom said he would nerve them day after day peeking in windows always being around when they opened the door and just making a nuisance out of himself...but I never thought of picking him up
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,471 Likes Received
    You are correct. Where was the responsible parenting?
  12. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,729 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    +1. I actually thought the squirrel was remarkably patient longer than I thought it would be.
  13. Tony33

Tony33 Benched

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The mom seemed to be very calm in the situation. She told him to put the squirrel down and that they couldn't keep it. Did you want here to smack it out of his hands?

I lived in the woods as a kid brought, chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels all the time. Parent really wasn't an issue here.

I see what you were trying to do though, deflect the concersation away from your original asinine comment.
  14. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod Saved

182 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My cat acts the same way when I hold him long enough.:p:
  15. Tony33

Tony33 Benched

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  16. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Yes, squirrel boy. You are going to die. But probably not today.
    :lmao2:
  17. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Responsible parenting?

I dunno if I would reach for that card.

Kid's playing outside and comes in from the backyard with a squirrel, what should the mom have done. Panicked and ran to him to slap it out of his hands?

When I was a kid, if you messed with a squirrel or garter snake and got bit it was a little lesson in life. I'm not even old enough to say this kind of stuff either.

Sometimes the responsible parent lets a kid be a kid instead of leashing them up or putting them in a bubble.

The kid knows that animals can have rabies and he lives in a wooded area. I'm guessing he's been told a thing or two about approaching wild animals.

Bet he pays a little more attention to the warning next time. He's probably lucky he was bit because he's little idealistic "don't worry little fella" take on things would probably get his *** torn apart by a raccoon or a badger.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    C'mon people, responsible parenting? Holy crap this is why kids today are sheltered, entitled, over-pampered and lazy.

"Oh my god, he touched ... an ANIMAL!"
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Mom: You don't die from rabies...

Umm... yes you do...
  20. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    :laugh2: