1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why you should say NO to Sammy Watkins

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    This will be a dissenting opinion but I am not a fan of Marquise Lee and Sammy Watkins as opposed to Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin.

13 of the top 16 WRs last year were 6-3 or taller. The days of the smaller quicker receiver being a true #1 are over. Even a 6-1 guy like Watkins is ok as a #2 but not worth a top 10 pick IMO.

The reason Seattle has the best secondary? They're the biggest so they can match up best.
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Okay.....Yeah being bigger is more ideal but it doesn't guarantee a superior football player. Both Lee and Watkins are the real deal.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,839 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Just about every scout I have an ounce of respect for thinks Watkins has star written all over him.
    the_h0wey likes this.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    No offense, but that was a very, VERY narrow minded OP with a short term "fad" type of view.
    Just because maybe you watched Todd McShay (see ESPN's draft lab) mention the number of really good tall QRs last year does in no way rule out a talent like Sammy Watkins.

And btw, Watkins is McShay's top WR anyway.

The trend is bigger right now though, no arguing with that. But talented is talented.
    Risen Star and brymatt94 like this.
  5. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

592 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    All things equal, sure, give me more size (that sounds terrible). But I'm not sacrificing actual skill for height just for the sake of it. Now, I'm not drafting a 5'10 WR in the top 10 in all likelihood, but at 6'1 with a very physical style? Nothing at all wrong with Watkins.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    What's next? Khalil Mack only wears a size 10 shoe, don't draft him!!!!

Watkins is incredibly talented with freakish athletic ability, great hands, and the mentality to run like a RB once he has the ball. Good luck passing on that guy.
  7. Parcells4Life

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Again didn't say he'd be a bum. But a top 5 pick is supposed to be a FRANCHISE CHANGER. In this day and age a 6-1 guy is not a franchise changer.

There is a big difference between Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones and Victor Cruz. Both are pro bowlers but only 1 is a franchise changer
  8. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

592 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I get where you're coming from. This observation isn't totally without merit. It would be nice if Watkins had a couple more inches on him. Do you personally like Evans better?
  9. Parcells4Life

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I think his size gives him more chance as well as scouts reviews that he's the one who made Johnny Manziel to become a dominant franchise changing receiver.

Obviously I don't want a Randall Holmes over Watkins so size isn't everything but I think there's a ceiling on the impact of receivers 6-1 and under lately.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,189 Messages
    3,016 Likes Received
    Who is Randall Holmes?
  11. Parcells4Life

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Andre Holmes I meant.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    Are we looking for a #1 WR or do we already have that in Dez?
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    If Steven Smith were in this draft, I'd draft him in a minute. That guy is only 5'9" but what a WR he's been.
  14. dbonham

dbonham Active Member

197 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I wish we had the opportunity to say no to Watkins
  15. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,126 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Yep, that 6'2" Dez Bryant really sucks.
  16. Parcells4Life

592 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I was listing Dez at 6-3 when making that list. I've seen him listed at both 6-2 and 6-3.
  17. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,126 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    So that possible inch difference would really make that much of a difference? Watkins is a special talent.
  18. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

271 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Size? remember Ramses Barden?
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    He's 6'2" on all sites.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,687 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    What franchises have those guys changed? Julio just missed the entire season and Calvin has only been to the playoffs once, with 0 wins, if I'm not mistaken.

And, not for nothing, Sammy Watkins will be a better pro than Victor Cruz.