1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Will we ever have a dominant Oline again?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bleu Star, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

19,881 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    We have been talking about this for years. Outside of Tyron who is indeed a certified stud, our offensive line is still mostly a rag tag unit of slip ins and hopefuls. While one should always be hopeful, there has to be some level of dexterity entered into the selection process in order to increase the possibility of success. Where to we need to get to in order to see real action during the offseason? Do you believe the addition of Bill Calahan will help to skew the draft mindset in that particular direction during the offseason? It goes without saying that we are all mostly on pins and needles every time Romo drops back. While Romo does have his misgivings (not unique to him.. everyone has them), you cannot expect a quarterback to remain efficient with an average of 3 seconds or less in the pocket (if it ever forms). Even still, against all odds, the guy that gives me fits every week remains efficient depite the obvious inefficiency on the offensive line. Make no mistake, Romo urks me, and then in the same breath, he amazes me. The fact that he is putting up the stats that he is amassing behind that offensive line speaks volumes to his ability to shrug the obvious and remain thick skinned. So many other teams out there see the importance and have addressed their olines. Is it too much to *** for just one draft filled with interior offensive linemen?
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,672 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    No.........
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,096 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    Get Costa healthy, spend $$$ on a free agent guard or tackle, draft the highest rated guard or tackle. Easy peasy.
  4. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sure.

THe question is whether or not we'll have one before we lose all of the current talent we have now. It'd be nice to see the Witten, Ware, and Romos not be hamstrung by the OL their entire careers.
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe maybe not, but in do we really need a dominant offensive line? No. Look at the Giants last year and the Packers the year before that. They were mediocre at best up front, but they had what we currently have and that is a very mobile, accurate, and good quarterback. Really the only Super Bowl Champion in recent memory to have a great/dominant offensive line was the 2009 New Orleans Saints. Give me a good quarterback, good receivers, good defense, and I'll take my chances.
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    unless I over looked someone, I don't think there is a free agent lineman at any position worth spending money on.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Costa is decent but in no way,shape or form is he going to anchor a dominant O Line
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,752 Messages
    10,047 Likes Received
    Preach it.

It's sad when you read things like that. Shows how long it's been that there was actual quality play there. The fans can't even remember what it looks like.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,096 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    He's probably our best lineman right now.
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,918 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    And this is exactly why it is so important to savor every moment when your team is doing well. You never know when or if you will see it again.

I told my wife in the early stages of the 90's team run that I was going to enjoy every moment because it had been a long time since we had a good team and you never know the future. Little did I know that 16 yrs of Jerruh would be this bad.
  11. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Jerry would rather have skill players than a dominant oline. Funny that our dream team of the 90s was all about dominating teams on the line of scrimmage.

Garrett got rid of Gurode so he can start Costa. He also got rid of Holland which was our best linemen last year. This goes to show you that either Garrett doesn't care about the oline that much, or that he really thinks that it can easily be fixed with coaching. Thats why Callahan is here - he is supposed to perform miracles like part the Red Sea and turn water into wine.
  12. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not with Mr. Jones in charge. He doesn't value the position, can't evaluate the talent (or lack there of) on the team, and has no idea how to build a team.
  13. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,173 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    thats pretty sad when costa is reguarded as the best lineman. smith is the best and we just need to build from there. livings has been ok. the right side is just a complete mess.
  14. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  15. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :confused:

Oh I get it because he hasn't really played
  16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,731 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    Who has a dominant offensive line? Real question.
  17. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Cleveland...when playing us?
  18. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Brandon Albert or Andy Levitre would be good.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,731 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    hahaha, true that.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,997 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    I think this is what we end up doing, too. The FA might not end up being a great player, but a solid one. And then another development guy relatively early in the draft (first three rounds).