1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Winning Isn't News

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by heavyg, Aug 13, 2008.

1. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, July 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Iraq: What would happen if the U.S. won a war but the media didn't tell the American public? Apparently, we have to rely on a British newspaper for the news that we've defeated the last remnants of al-Qaida in Iraq.

London's Sunday Times called it 'the culmination of one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror.' A terrorist force that once numbered more than 12,000, with strongholds in the west and central regions of Iraq, has over two years been reduced to a mere 1,200 fighters, backed against the wall in the northern city of Mosul.

The destruction of al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI) is one of the most unlikely and unforeseen events in the long history of American warfare. We can thank President Bush's surge strategy, in which he bucked both Republican and Democratic leaders in Washington by increasing our forces there instead of surrendering.

We can also thank the leadership of the new general he placed in charge there, David Petraeus, who may be the foremost expert in the world on counter-insurgency warfare. And we can thank those serving in our military in Iraq who engaged local Iraqi tribal leaders and convinced them America was their friend and AQI their enemy.

Al-Qaida's loss of the hearts and minds of ordinary Iraqis began in Anbar Province, which had been written off as a basket case, and spread out from there.

Now, in Operation Lion's Roar the Iraqi army and the U.S. 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment is destroying the fraction of terrorists who are left. More than 1,000 AQI operatives have already been apprehended.

Sunday Times reporter Marie Colvin, traveling with Iraqi forces in Mosul, found little AQI presence even in bullet-ridden residential areas that were once insurgency strongholds, and reported that the terrorists have lost control of its Mosul urban base, with what is left of the organization having fled south into the countryside.

Meanwhile, the State Department reports that Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's government has achieved 'satisfactory' progress on 15 of the 18 political benchmarks — a big change for the better from a year ago.

Things are going so well that Maliki has even for the first time floated the idea of a timetable for withdrawal of American forces. He did so while visiting the United Arab Emirates, which over the weekend announced that it was forgiving almost $7 billion of debt owed by Baghdad — an impressive vote of confidence from a fellow Arab state in the future of a free Iraq.

But where are the headlines and the front-page stories about all this good news? As the Media Research Center pointed out last week, 'the CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News and CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 were silent Tuesday night about the benchmarks' that signaled political progress.

The war in Iraq has been turned around 180 degrees both militarily and politically because the president stuck to his guns. Yet apart from IBD, Fox News Channel and parts of the foreign press, the media don't seem to consider this historic event a big story.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If anyone needs anymore proof of the leftist bias in the American news they need to have their heads examined.
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,661 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    Harry Reid and the Democrats declared the war a defeat. The media took his word for it and that is all the media needed/wanted to hear. Democrats like it when the US "loses" a war, it turns the Democrats on big time.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Have you ever considered you do as much damage to your party of choice and turn away many from your party of choice by saying such silly things?

Just curious if you aware of it.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You realize he is closer to being right than wrong though, right?
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Only if you follow the republican party.
  7. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I wouldn't go as far as to say the Dems love it when we lose. But you have to admit they will jump on anything slightly negative regarding this war. Yet they ignore anything positive
  8. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    I don't disagree they will jump on things...both parties do that and sometimes to the extreme.

However as you said...they don't love it if we would lose. That is just idiotic to say.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :blind:
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Great picture of you.:laugh2:
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh, nice come back. :rolleyes:
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,909 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Nope ...... but I would say that about the hardcore Liberals.

As long as it does not physically threaten them or their families I believe they would love us to lose the war in Iraq so that they could say "we told you"
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Says the man who used the icon as a comeback in the first place.

Is a Touche in order?
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    We can't declare victory just yet, but I don't think you can pretend it's simply a Republican thing to have noticed all of the vitriol and negativity, from politicians and the media alike, concerning this.

Every utterance of dissent has been trumpeted. Every death reported as a rebuke and, yes politicians calling the effort a complete failure, talking this nonsense well before proper etiquette would dictate.

If this in fact does turn out to be a success and a boon for U.S security and interests, alot of people are going to look like complete *****.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Shakes head.

I do not disagree about the negativity.

I do disagree that Dems (as a whole not just a demented individual) LOVE TO LOSE WARS.

That is just idiotic right wing spin no matter how you slice it.
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Perhaps not, but people sure do cave in to the seduction of being right and in the position to say 'I told you so'. It's evident who has been susceptible to this, with all of the premature talk and also why such an assertion would even be considered.

I don't think the Democratic party wants to lose wars, but I think their own 'demented individuals' have certainly given them an unflattering image. And we can start at the top with Pelosi and trickle on down.
  17. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,005 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    No, he is close to right...the only problem with his statement is he inferred the whole democratic party felt that way...which is not true, but many of the vocal leaders of the party did not want us to succeeded in Iraq.

Edit: never mind...read the rest of your post...
  18. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Actually it is in pretty much all of politics and it is not a thing that is Germain to one party. It just shows up on different topics.

It even goes so far as claiming someone is not patriotic if they don't share a parties view points...See my point...parties do this type of thing.

However I am sorry if I will not swallow swill that they would LOVE TO LOSE WARS...that is the same type of tripe as saying you are not patriotic, you hate america or you love the terrorists just because you do not share the viewpoints of the President.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Yeah...ok..sure

:laugh2:
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,103 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    The Democrats don't love to lose wars. That's an absurd claim.

They are trying to gain votes; many of them flopping to anti-Iraq war claims. Of couse, they are going to concentrate on the negatives. Duh. They are trying to pander to their base and independents.

If the roles were reversed, the Democrats would be lauding the war in Iraq and the Republicans would be chastising it.

Its about votes.

Not about winning/losing wars. Both parties love to win wars - win it benefits them politically. Both are willing to lose wars when they can gain - politically.

Its about votes.