1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

With Two Weeks Left - AL East

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Two weeks left in the Regular Season and it's looking like the Yanks and the O's. Honestly, I figured it would be the Rays instead of Baltimore but hey, Baseball is funny that way.

Half game lead in favor of the Yankees as of yesterday.

If I look at both teams remaining schedules, I think that it favors the O's.

Baltimore's remaining schedule looks like this:

@ Boston (68-82) 3 gms
    Blue Jays (66-81) 4 gms
    Boston (68-82) 3 gms
    @Tampa (79-70) 3 gms

Yankees remaining schedule looks like this:

Blue Jays (66-81) 1 gm
    A's (84-64) 3 gms
    @Twins (62-87) 3 gms
    @Blue Jays (66-81) 4 gms
    Boston (68-82) 3 gms

Both teams have only one team on the schedule with a winning record (Yankees vs A's and BoSox vs Rays). The combined winning percentage of the O's remaining schedule is .471 while the Yankees remaining schedule has a winning percentage of .467. Slight edge to the O's but no real difference there.

To me, the determining factor is that the Yankees have a 3 game home stand with the A's, followed by an 8 game road trip and they finish up against the BoSox who always play the Yankees tough. Figure that the season will likely come down to those last three games and the Sox could salvage their season by preventing the Yankees from winning the AL East. that's going to be very tough.

Orioles have it easier IMO because they have 3 in Boston and then come home for 4 against the Jays, followed by another 3 at home against Boston. Basically, they have a 7 game home stretch against teams they have winning records against. Very easy, very winnable 7 game stretch where the team should be rested up before going on the road to face the Rays for a 3 game stand. Now, this series will be very important because the Rays still have a shot at the Wildcard but they are 6 games back so it's very unlikely IMO but still, that could come into play.

The Yankees have to beat Oakland and that's not an easy trick. Yankees are 3-4 against the A's this year and got swept 4 straight in the second half of the season. Yankees are only 8-5 against the Jay's so they are beatable but they did not dominate them. You look at the Twins and the Yanks are 2-2 against them for the season. Yankees are 10-5 against Boston this season but in the 2nd half, they are only 5-4. Oakland has a better pitching staff then the Yankees do IMO but then, the Ray's have a better pitching staff then the O's do as well.

It's going to be interesting.
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yankees will make it. ;)
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    If the Skankees win the AL East I would not be surprised.

If they get in as a WC team I would not be surprised.

If they collapse I would not be surprised.

Most likely scenario is they get in as a WC. Unless they get swept by Oakland and the Angels roll.

Baltimore has the best record of all AL teams since July 24th.

They just won their 15th straight extra inning game.

The Orioles are 66-0 when leading after the 7th inning.

Bullpen has been very strong all year.

With the call up of Manny Machado they have a really good defense now.

Orioles Magic is back!
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I don't know who is going to win the AL East but I can tell you this, I don't either the Yanks or the O's will be going far in the playoffs.

The Yankees are doing it with long ball and the O's are squeaking out 1 run games the likes of which are unheard off.

When the playoffs arrive, teams that each will be facing are teams who have better then just average pitching. Good pitching beats good hitting almost every time and I don't see the Yankees hitting enough extra base hits to keep them in it without their pitching coming back.

The O's are going to lose all of those real close games because they don't have great pitching or great hitting and the teams they are playing will.

I guess we'll see what happens.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    The Orioles have been 2nd to the Yankees in runs scored as a result of the homerun.

The reason the Orioles win all those 1 run and extra inning games is because of pitching. Their closer now has 45 saves. The bullpen has been consistently very good all year.

The Orioles starters are better right now than people who dont follow the team think.

Right now the Orioles, Yankees, and A's are only 3 games behind Texas for the best record in the AL. This should be a fun last 2 weeks to the season. One would think the Rangers end up with the best record in the AL, but the AL West could beat up on each other and the AL East could move up for best record. Who knows, but it'll be fun.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

Augh...... no. The Orioles are ranked 18th in the Majors in Pitching and 16th in the majors in hitting.

The O's have won 53 games by 2 or fewer runs. Of those 53 wins, 28 were to teams that did not have winning records. Interestingly enough, in games against the Yankees that were decided by 2 or fewer runs (there were 6 this season), the O's are 2-4. I don't think the O's are going to be able to count on those kinds of games in the playoffs. Of the 4 probably playoff teams, Yanks, ChiSox, Rangers and A's, the O's have losing records against all of them except Chicago. Would be better for the O's if they could win the East because if you don't, you probably get Texas and the Rangers pretty much beat the hell out of the O's this year during the regular season 5 games to 2 outscoring them on average by almost 5 runs per contest. Texas scoring 56 runs in 7 games to Baltimores 24 runs. That's a bad matchup for the O's.
  7. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    The Orioles can be ranked wherever in pitching and hitting. The team they field now is much different than they started the season out with. Many of the stats are skewed in a sense. Stats do not tell the story with this team. On paper they are average at best. As a collective unit they are playing good baseball. Its one of those special seasons.

They split the season series with the Yanks. And actually should have won it if not for some fluke plays. Actually the Yanks swept them 3 games in Baltimore the 4th, 5th, and 6th games of the season. Then the O's went 8-5 against them, including winning all 3 series in NY.

Texas has beat them up this year already, but this is a different team playing right now. Not saying they beat Texas if they play them, just a better team right now.

The Orioles are better than the Yankess and White Sox. If Detroit gets in instead of the White Sox I'd still favor the Orioles. Really the West is where the Orioles have had issues. For some reason they struggle with Oakland.

I have been an Orioles fan since the mid 70's. I watch just about every game. This team is nothing like the below .500 teams of the past 14 consecutive seasons. I have been skeptical all season and waiting for the collapse. It hasnt happened and I would be shocked if it did now. If they win their division I fully expect them to be playing in the ALCS.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    The O's are the same team now that they were in the 1st half. They are not a great pitching team and they are not a great hitting team. It remains to be seen if the O's are better then either the White Sox or the Yankees. The O's have a winning record this year against the White Sox but not the Yankees. They are not better statistically then the Yankees. The Yankees are a better hitting team, a better fielding team and a better defensive team statistically speaking. What exactly do you base your statement on?

As beat up as the Yankees have been this year, particularly on their pitching staff, I would expect the O's to have better numbers but they don't. I guess we'll see what happens.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    I base it all on watching the games.

The Orioles have been beat up and plagued with injuries. Lost our starting Lf'er a couple weeks into the season. Lost our gold glove RF'er twice to broken bones in his hand getting hit by pitches. Lost our best starting pitcher twice to injuries. BP pitchers have been injured.

The Orioles have the best catcher in the AL.

Their SS leads all SS's in homers and defense.

If you say the team they field right now is no different than the team they fielded in the 1st half of the season then it just shows you dont know what they are doing as a team.

Machado at 3B is playing GG caliber defense. The kid is really good.

Reynolds at 1B has been amazing defensively.

Adam Jones in CF - gold glove guy.

I would love to see them get the Yankees or CWS in the playoffs. Iam fully confident in those matchups.

Stats tell a story, but just part of the story.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    They have not sustained more injuries then the Yankees. It's not even close. I too have watched the Orioles. Heck, I've seen them three times in Camden this year and I live in New Mexico.

I understand that you see a different team then you have in the last 14 years but how is that proof that they are better then other teams? As I said before, statistically, they are not. They don't have a winning record against the Yankees and in the last 10 games, while the O's have been playing great (7-3), the Yankees have been better (8-2). I don't see any proof of your statement at this point.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    The Yankees had a 10 game lead. Now that lead is 1 game. Its been 1 game or tied, back and forth the past couple weeks. If the Orioles arent playing better than how did they make up the 10 games?
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    The Yankees had there entire starting Rotation on the DL for much of the second half. They also had a lot of injuries to their starting position players for much of the second half for one. I'd say that this is the majority of the reason why. The O's are not scoring runs prolifically, nor are they pitching exceptionally well. They are winning a lot of close games and that is to their credit but I don't see anything that suggest they are better then the Yankees are at this point. I mean, they could be but there is nothing that I can see that points to that. I guess we will see how the rest of the seasons goes. I do believe the O's have the more favorable situation at this point but we will see. Yankees getting CC, Pettite and Nova back is huge for them IMO. That helps the Yankees a lot. At the beginning of the year, the Yankee rotation was supposed to be Pineda, CC, Nova, Kuroda and Hughes or Garcia with Mariano closing. We lost Pineda before the season started. We lost Mariano immediately after that. Only now are we getting those guys back. If I had to explain it, I'd say that this is the biggest reason why.

As I said earlier, over the last 10 games, the Yankees are 8-2 and the Orioles are 7-3. I don't think you can say that the O's are better at this point. I think the most you can say is that both teams are playing good baseball down the stretch thus far.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,689 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    No question getting Pettite back is a huge boost for the Yankees.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,114 Messages
    1,961 Likes Received
    Yep...
  15. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    Looks like it, but doubtful they go very far.

Looks like NY and Balt are going to get in.

Tex is in.

Oakland over LAA? Suddenly Oak is slidin a bit.

CWS or Detroit? Toss up.

This is a great pennant race!
  16. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Wow! O's win 9-6 in Extra Innings in Boston and The Yankees give up 4 runs in the top of the 13th inning to the A's only to come back and score 4 in the bottom of the 12 and win 13 to 12 in the 14th inning.

OMG, this is unbelievable.

Yankees 1 game ahead of O's for the American League East.
  17. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    That game may just end up costing the A's a post season berth. There is no excuse for giving that game to the Yankees. A's are sliding and that could be really bad for them. Angels are smiling for sure.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I would not say the A's gave that game to the Yankees but if it makes you feel any better, the Yankees gave a game back today.
  19. WPBCowboysFan

5,918 Messages
    2,107 Likes Received
    Didnt watch any part of Sunday's game.

When you have a 4 run lead in an extra inning game and you let the other team win = giving the game to the other team. No other way to put it really.

This is gonna be a fun AL baseball ride till the end. Rays and Angels are still in it. Its possible the East could tighten up more if Tampa is rolling. O's finish the season - 3 games - in Tampa. Could be big.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    So then, the same logic could be turned around and applied to the Yankees. They allowed the A's to score 4 in the top of the inning and the A's did the same in the bottom. I don't see any real difference there.