1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Without Dez Bryant, the Dallas Cowboys wouldn't have a chance.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MissouriCowboy, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,312 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    Without Dez Bryant, the Dallas Cowboys wouldn't have a chance.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/24/4506705/without-dez-bryant-the-dallas.html#storylink=cpy

A very merry, or whatever you choose to celebrate, holiday to you all today.

Finding greater meaning in pro football these days can sometimes be a painful, and often fruitless, task but on this day I give you...Dez Bryant?

Seriously.

He has earned it.

The lesson in Dez is to never forget the rule of Tom Landry: We are always better to wait a bit before making a final call on anything.

About six months ago, Dez was sitting by his mother in the law offices of Mr. Royce West trying to explain a domestic dispute. Around that time the consensus was Dez is a man-child who will never learn. And, he isn't worth the headache because the production would never intersect with the potential. That Jerry Jones should never have pulled rank to draft this kid.

On this Christmas Day, it is nearly impossible to envision the Dallas Cowboys going into the final game of the regular season against the Redskins with a chance to win the NFC East without Dez.

Their best chance may be Dez.

(BTW -- A serious shoutout to Twitter follower, @CarlAllDay, who called Dez's progress months and months ago. Nicely played.)

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/24/4506705/without-dez-bryant-the-dallas.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

964 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Witten actually scares me more than Dez for the type of game I believe Sunday night will be. We haven't given up many big plays at home lately - what I fear most are the 3rd down conversions and long demoralizing drives...and Witten always seems to be around to convert on those.
  3. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,746 Messages
    1,960 Likes Received
    I get the feeling you really really like Dez Bryant. This is like your 4th thread on him this week. Great article.
  4. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,963 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Murray and Witten are more important than Dez, Witten helps the running game with his blocking, moves the chains and keeps drives alive.....Murray helps the running game and brings balance in the offense

you sound like you have a crush on Dez, Dez isn't the end all be all YET!!! Has a long way to go before he's elite....doesn't grasp the playbook...so the organization had to limit the routes he runs....three years and still doesn't grasp the playbook is inexcuseable as far as I'm concerned..
  5. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,522 Messages
    1,731 Likes Received
    I think everybody really, really likes Dez right now. I know I do.:p:
  6. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,522 Messages
    1,731 Likes Received
    What games have you been watching lately? You gotta give Dez his props right now.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,779 Messages
    10,081 Likes Received
    We are 31st in the league in rushing yards per game.

What in God's name are you talking about?
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Neither one of them sees any room on the field without Dez. He commands a double team every play. Without him, teams will consistently put 8 or 9 in the box and bracket Witten.

Dez is an explosive playmaker...there aren't 5 guys better at it in the league than him. More polished receivers, sure, but not gamebreakers. You take Dez away from this offense and we struggle to score 17 a game, regardless of how many times DeMarco and Witten get the ball.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Dez has come a long way since early in the season. He does have a better understanding of the offense than he has had before. He is 2nd in the NFL in TD catches and has moved up the board steady. Getting after guy when he was messing up is understandable, staying on him even after he has shown he does get it and has been putting up big time numbers in consecutive games is nothing but agenda driven complaints.

Dez deserves the credit because he has gone out and did what he needed to do.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,158 Messages
    1,934 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Interesting thing is having a top 1-3 ranked superstar WR type has absolutely no correlation to winning superbowls.

You have to go back almost 12-13 years to find a team that had an established top top 1 - 3 i the NFL WR who won a superbowl -- Torry Holt with the Rams.

Not sure what it means, but I think it's interesting.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    That is interesting...

The teams that have won recently - NO, GB, NYG, and NE - have all had very good receiving corps though. Maybe they didn't have one guy, but they were getting that production from the whole group.
  12. perrykemp

6,158 Messages
    1,934 Likes Received
    Exactly. None of those teams had or evidently needed anything close to a superstar WR.

IMHO, what it means is that, while it's sure fun to have a mega superstar WR, there may be a correlation to teams that have those kinds of guys not winning superbowl because the teams become so dependent on that WR for success.

It might also mean that while WRs are exciting to watch, the difference between good WRs (of which there are tons in the NFL) and great ones (of which there are few) just doesn't mean much as compared to other positions.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I think that might be stretching it. There have certainly been dynasties with dominant receivers, but its more relevant to quarterback play imo. They have the ability to make receiving corps look better than they actually are so you can win with average guys.

I think all of these teams that I mentioned that have won recently do have star quality receivers, but there are also other great ones. Saints have Colston, Pats have Welker, Giants have Cruz/Nicks who are both great, and GB has Jennings who is just about as good as anyone. Just because there isn't one star on a WR corps, doesn't mean they aren't great talents.
  14. perrykemp

6,158 Messages
    1,934 Likes Received
    I agree with you that all those team had WRs were were established top 5-10 WRs in the NFL. I just find it interesting that none of them had a true Superstar WR -- top 2-3 at their position.

When I look back at the history books, I have to go back to 1999 to find one -- Torry Holt.

It may just be a big coincidence -- it probably is. But a notable one.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,779 Messages
    10,081 Likes Received
    I think it's just a case of severely limiting the teams that qualify. You're talking about 3 teams max. The odds of one of the 3 winning a Super Bowl over the last 10 years are probably pretty long.

When's the last time one of the top 2 or 3 RBs in the league won a Super Bowl? You'd probably have to go all the way back to that same Rams team with Marshall Faulk.
  16. perrykemp

6,158 Messages
    1,934 Likes Received
    Good point on RBs.

What you can say is that top 1-3 ranked QBs are the rule as opposed to the exception when it comes to Superbowls -- Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Warner when he won it, Peyton Manning, etc.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Good point...I think Jamal Lewis was pretty outstanding for Bal the next year as well though.
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

964 Messages
    81 Likes Received

The threat of Murray and Witten definitely keeps defenses honest. Its very much a "pick your poison" type deal.
  19. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,312 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    I do. In fact I defended this guy more than I have than Romo from Chief fans.
  20. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,359 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    It is.

And Cruz was elite last year for the Giants. Maybe not top 2-3, but he played like a top 5 WR last year.

Having an elite WR definitely doesn't hurt your chances of winning a SB, that's absurd.