1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Woodson, NFLN: If you can't win in December you're not going to win in the playoffs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bleu Star, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

19,881 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    Whoops: Was actually Rod Woodson.

We're 2-2 yet again in December.

Same as December of 2005.

Same as December of 2004.

Same as December of 2003.

This does not bode well for our fledgling playoff hopes.
  2. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,800 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    no kidding
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :mad:

GROZ would be a good start in remedying (is that a word?) this problem.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    The past two seasons regular actually ended in January, and we lost those games (making us 2-3 in December and January). In 2005, we lost four of our last six. In 2004, we lost three of our last four. In 2003, we lost three of our last five. If we beat Detroit this week, we will finish 3-2 in December and January and will have won six of our last eight games.

Also, Carolina went 2-2 in their last four games last year and still won two playoff games to make it to the NFC title game. Philadelphia finished 2-2 in 2004 and went to the Super Bowl. Atlanta finished 2-2 in 2004 and went to the NFC title game.
  6. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

19,881 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    I admire your optimism.
  7. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,800 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I'm still having a little problem with mine. I still have that taste in my mouth like I just took a bite out of a s*** sandwich.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received

But did those teams finish that way cuz their playoff spot was decided and were "coasting" into the playoffs? Did anyone of them lose a CRITICAL home game late in december that would of won them their division and given them a chance at the #2 seed?
  9. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,420 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Wasn't Philadelphia resting its starters though?

And I'm not sure about Atlanta, but weren't they the #2 seed, and didn't they just rest their starters?
  10. Timbo2st

Timbo2st Benched

1,091 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes.

Against the Rams/Bengals.
  11. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,420 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Yeah so the Eagles not "winning" in December doesn't really hold water.

Adam, still hope you're right though.
  12. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    gotta love stats!!! Joey Bell, Juwan Howard, Rob Johnson... gotta love stats!!!
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    The record really is irrelevant, however you look at it. What's important is how you play. And the cowboys have been playing like crap the last 4 games. And we played like total arse in a HOME game that would of given us the division against a team with a backup QB.
  14. AdamJT13

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    The 2004 Eagles rested starters. The 2004 Falcons rested a few injured players for part or all of those games, but most of their starters played the whole game. The 2005 Panthers desperately needed every victory.

Yeah, the Panthers last year. They lost at home to us on Christmas Eve. If they had won that game, they would have ended up winning their division and getting the No. 2 seed.

The 1995 Cowboys also finished 2-2 and went on to win the Super Bowl. I can find other examples of teams with two late losses who did well in the playoffs, too.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,091 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    Theory....

...debunked.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Well one thing that's being overlooked is that eventhough we're 2-2 since T-Day, we've played poorly in all 4 games. So, as I said, it's not about your record, it's how you're playing. And we've been playing like crap (mainly on defense).

The Giants were in a MAJOR slump before we played them. We beat them, but all of the sudden Eli looked like an NFL QB again.

We made Mike Vick look like Johnny U. Karney and Griffith looked like Rathman and Moose against us.

Yes we beat they Falcons, but our D looked like crap in the process.

And do not be surprised if we make John Kitna and Roy Williams look like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    I recall the 1995 team. Were pretty bad down the stretch, barely came back to beat the Giants on a last second FG at home (after the choke game in Philadephia the week before), then only had home field that year because the 49ers choked their last game in Atlanta. Yet we still won the SB going away.
  18. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,968 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Agreed.

It's going to take a complete turnaround in the playoffs to really get back on track.

No longer does this team "look" like the one that looked like a legtimate contender a month ago.

Luckily, the Cowboys might face Seattle in the first round. They've got to be one of the most vulnerable playoff-bound teams. Of course, a loss to them would be quite disheartening.
  19. AdamJT13

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    The 1997 Broncos went 2-2 in their final four games (and 1-2 in their final three). Their only wins during those four games both came against the 4-12 Chargers.

In the three games leading up to the final game, those Broncos had allowed 97 points. Their only win was 38-28 on the road. Their two losses -- both by double digits against playoff-bound teams -- cost them the division title and home-field advantage in the AFC. Does any of that sound slightly familiar? And of course, those Broncos also went on to win three AFC playoff games and the Super Bowl.

None of this means that we will turn it around and go to the NFC title game or the Super Bowl. It doesn't even mean there's a great chance. It just means that there IS a chance, if we can play like we should -- and have at times.
  20. Kobal

Kobal Member

334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :pray2: