1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Recommended Word of Muth: Cowboy Zone

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jimnabby, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

4,608 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Here's Ben Muth's latest column on the Cowboys O-line. By his own admission, it's not one of his more interesting columns, but the stuff on individual plays is still pretty great. He focuses entirely on running plays here, and there's good stuff about Free, Waters and Frederick.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-cowboy-zone
    Duane, dogberry, jobberone and 3 others like this.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

9,442 Messages
    3,989 Likes Received
    I've been looking forward to this. Thanks for posting!
  3. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,246 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    he still completed 60% of his passes and had a clutch TD when it mattered. The interception can be pointed at Romo, but it was really good d-line play. Not to mention Romo didn't need to pass the ball the last two drives.
    visionary and SDCowboy85 like this.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

5,194 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    I think the author needs to reconsider what he considers a success. Wins matter not fantasy stats.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    1,636 Likes Received
    True. But he still didn't look as sharp as he has lately.

His numbers looked pretty ugly because of the things you mentioned, but his actual play also didn't look nearly as great except for that beauty of a TD to TWill.
    visionary likes this.
  6. jimnabby

4,608 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    It was pretty clearly an off-day for Romo: not sure what's controversial about that. The 60% completion percentage and 5.7 YPA are very low by Tony's standards, and just watching the game, a number of passes were off-line, which I'm not used to seeing from him. But of course, the article focuses on running plays anyway.
  7. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    A lot of Tony's completions were short and not very useful; he finished with < 6.0 yards per attempt.

Anyway, wins are a team stat and I rather doubt the author considers Sunday night unsuccessful for the Cowboys, even if it was somewhat unsuccessful for Romo.
  8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

9,442 Messages
    3,989 Likes Received
    I'll be watching for that right-side counter when Witten lines up on the left, to see if we just got careless with our tendencies, or if we were setting up the Eagles.
  9. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    good long read
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

6,686 Messages
    4,062 Likes Received
    First, that throw to Williams for the TD is as good of a throw as there's been in the league this year.

Second, big returns can throw an offense off. Too much standing around on the sideline.

Lastly, the Redskins have a good front, and Haslet has a very complicated blitz scheme that he definitely wanted to use on our young lineman.

Overall, it was an encouraging performance by the o-line.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,715 Messages
    3,007 Likes Received

if we blame the qb (romo) when the team loses, we need to credit him when the team wins

JMO
  12. jimnabby

4,608 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Fortunately, I don't do the former, so I don't need to do the latter either.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,715 Messages
    3,007 Likes Received

i sometimes do the former so i will do the latter as well :)
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

5,194 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    If Romo threw for 500 yards and the RB fumbled the ball to the loose the game...I would agree with your take on it. But as we know that is not what happend. Romo directly impacted the outcome of game regardless of the track meet that ensued for the previous 58 minutes.
  15. kruddy

kruddy Duffer

131 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Bus driver ........HAHAHA