1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

World Trade Center Memorial Park

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Someone was talking about this recently and I noted that I would be visiting it on Jan. 7th. I did and took a few pics and figured I would share them with you guys.

Anyway, enjoy.

Two of the towers that are going up at WTC.

[IMG]

This is "One World Trade Center". It is going to be absolutely gorgeous! (I'm a big skyscraper fan) It will be 105 floors (2.6 million square feet) and cost $3.1 billion to build. The heights are top floor: 1,314 ft, roof: 1,368 ft, Antenna spire: 1,776 ft.

[IMG]

Not sure which tower this one is.

[IMG]

The following are in ground fountains. Their foot prints are the original twin tower foot prints.

This fountain is the "South Tower" foot print.

[IMG]

Also South Tower fountain.

[IMG]

Names along the edge of the South Tower fountain.

[IMG]

I believe this will be a WTC museum that sits beside each of the fountains. It's still under construction.

[IMG]

Another view of the museum.

[IMG]

North Tower fountain.

[IMG]

This is the Millenium Hilton Hotel. (tall skinny black building) I stayed here many many times when I was traveling to NYC on a monthly basis before I ended up moving to NYC. It overlooks the site. I remember looking down from the 32nd floor when I stayed here. The WTC site was just a giant hole in the ground. :(

[IMG]

Because the pools are in-ground, taking pictures of them from a distance doesn't turn out very well. This is the North Tower pool

[IMG]

South Tower Pool

[IMG]

This is a mural outside of the park on a building.

[IMG]

This is the same mural, but the entire length of it. It looks curved in the picture, but it's not. I used a panoramic picture taking to take a picture of the entire thing. It's actually straight.

[IMG]

The following is a video I took with my Galaxy Nexus. I'm standing in front of the North Tower pool when I made it.

[youtube]U0wEnANaCq0[/youtube]

...and finally, I took this imagine of the Empire State Building lit up in blue the night before. It's in blue for the Giant's playoffs. Even so, it looks great in blue, so I took the picture.

[IMG]

I hope you guys enjoyed this. I definitely did enjoy visiting the site. I highly recommend you visit too if you ever make it to NYC.
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Thanks for this! My first real look at it.
  3. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Awesome pics, thanks Sam.
  4. SC Cowboyfan

SC Cowboyfan Member

740 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting! I hope to visit this summer..
  5. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I was there on Dec. 31st, and this was my favorite part. They had a guy out in front polishing off the sculpture and telling unique facts about 9/11.

The Preview Center was cool too. They had a complete timeline up on the east wall and a few TV screens showing video from that day.
  6. IowaCowboyFan

IowaCowboyFan Member

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    wow that has come along way since i was there last a few years back.

i remember that wall sculpture though it was amazing then
  7. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    those pictures are amazing. :D
  8. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,130 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Great. Thanks.

I personally feel they should have put the towers back. Leave the original footprints as they are with the fountains and find a way to put new towers opposite the fountains.

Oh well.
  9. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Impressive. I haven't been back to the city since they finished all that. Planning on it this summer though.