1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Worst game in Cowboy history?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by The30YardSlant, Dec 2, 2004.

1. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My pick has to be the Ice Bowl, the greatest game ever played and we will always be remembered for losing it. Damn Bart Starr.... :mad:
  2. Roughneck

Roughneck Active Member

2,682 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1/15/95......NFC Championship Game......San Francisco 49ers......****ing refs......

:(
  3. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The Ice Bowl was a killer but we still had so much upside...and the Packers were the reigning dynasty...

For me, the real killers came in the next three seasons....the two playoff losses to the Browns, clearly an inferior team, I think by the scores of 31-20 and 38-14. Those losses were mind blowers...at least the Packer games were great games...close contests.

And the Superbowl against the Colts...we kicked the Colt's butts all over the field...and lost after an INT that bounced off of Dan Reeve's (usually a reliable receiver) hands on a high pass (usually a reliable passer except in big games) and a FG with no time on the clock.

"Next Year's Champions"

I'll take the 38-14 loss to Cleveland as the worst....
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Ice Bowl or Pickle Juice game
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    For me it was that stupid lucky arsed catch.
    I hate that play and the 49ers.
    I am reveling in their current misery.
    I hope Dwight Clark gets kidney stones.
    Yes I am bitter.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    And it doesn't help ESPN plays it ALL the freaking time :mad:
  7. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,366 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    44-0 at home or something like that. They had Steve Fuller at QB. Danny White got killed by the 46 Bear defense that day. Totally embarrasing
  8. CMJ76

CMJ76 Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the eagles game when buddy ryan had cunningham fake taking a knee only to stand up and throw a td pass.i've never wanted to hit anyone so bad in my life. ryan is a jerk in every way. i loved it though when he sucker punched kevin gilbride when the were both at houston. that had to be one of the lowest moments for that organization..........and they've had plenty.
  9. Phoenix-Talon

Phoenix-Talon Eagles Fan Liaison

5,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It could have been just yesterday ...

Superbowl XV ...Raiders 27 - Eagles 10!
  10. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    a few stand out for me:

1) losing to Houston in their first game...utter disgrace

2) pickle juice blowout loss to Philly in Campo/Zimmer's first game

3) losing 44-0 to the Bears in 85

4) losing at home in the playoffs to the lowly Cardinals after the 98 season...

5) 44-3 loss at home to Minnesota in 1988...totally knew it was over for Landry after that

David
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,898 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    I was going to say the NFC championship of that year against the Eagles.

Roger's last game against the Rams in the playoffs. Dallas just didn't seem to get up for it. They seemed very lethargic.

Any game under Campo.
  12. CMJ76

CMJ76 Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    how could i forget the the texans game? i was there. maybe i'm trying too hard to forget.
  13. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm with you on that one... I never liked the whiners, but after that... hated, hated, hated them..

It's the play that everyone likes to use to pour salt on an open Dallas wound. And my brother -in law (huge whiner fan) has that danged thing on tape and likes to use it as a wager. If the whiners lose, he has to wear a T-shirt I made that has the 49er emblem and the word fan on it with "owned by" across it and the Cowboys star with the word fan under it- thanks for the owned idea Trick... and if the Cowboys lose, I have to watch that stupid game and catch... 7 times I've seen that catch this year... . I can't take it anymore.. the Cowboys have to win

I hate that catch - it's burned into my brain
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,898 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    I was at that 98 playoff game against the Cards. Gailey's playcalling was horrible. It was very cold, too. The only good thing was that I had free tickets.
  15. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the worst game that i've seen was the pickle juice game. i've never been so excited for a season as i was in 2000. when they got that onsides kick i knew the season was over.

also the 95' championship game in san fran was dissapointing too. i just knew we would win that one and win 3 super bowls in a row.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,587 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    A couple stand out in my mind.

Obvioulsy the "Catch" game and the NFC Championship game in 94 conferance championship.

70 loss to the Colts in the Super Bowl. We should have won that game.

Both Steelers Losses. Both games could have been won. Lost both times.

Loss to Houston in 2002. Team just rolled over. Hard to watch that.

Probably the 79 Playoff loss to the Rams. This was a team that we were better then. We had soundly thrashed them earlier in the season 30 to 6. We should have beaten them but instead, we mailed it in. Roger Staubach had a good game but he was the only one. I knew it would be his last game in a Cowboy uniform and I wanted him to go out a winner so badly. Instead, we lost 21-19. Too little too late and then it was over. Roger was gone and it would be 3 straight Division Championship losses, the classless dismisal of Tom Landry and 10 long years of futility before we would have hope again.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,980 Messages
    3,543 Likes Received
    Thanks guys. I had successfully repressed many of those memories. ;)
  18. twa

twa Active Member

1,053 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to agree ,that game still hurts and I am childish enough to enjoy every loss and misfortune that befalls SF. :p
  19. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember several Cardinals defensive players making fun of Gailey after the game...said he ran alot of the same plays in the same sequence as the other two games we played them, and almost never varied a playcall in the same formation...I also remember our WR's dropping like 4 or 5 easy ones in the 1st quarter, and it was all downhill after that

David
  20. THEHEREAFTER

THEHEREAFTER Active Member

2,370 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would have to say "The Catch" game.. what I remember vividly.. is time on the clock even after Dwight Clarks incredible catch... Danny White was driving us.. and Drew Pearson caught a pass in their territory close to field goal range but fumbled.. Game Over.. the highlights make it seem like "The Catch" was made with no or too little time left..

Second place is the Buddy Ryan.. "Bounty" Thanksgiving day debacle..