1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would Dan Marino succeed in the NFL today?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by DFWJC, Dec 28, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,526 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    Please don't ban me for asking maybe the dumbest question in years on this forum. But with so much talk of QB play lately the topic of Dan Marino came up.
    A person claims Marino would be terrible in today's NFL due to his lack of mobility and (at least according this poster) a lack of accuracy.

I say that he would be amazing now because:
    1) Well, he is Dan Marino and one of the best pure passers of all time
    2) The NFL has never protected QBs more than they do now
    3) The offenses slant way toward throwing thew ball and the depth of good WRs is scary. This is Marino heaven right now.
    4) and much more. I could go on and on....

What do you all say?

Would Marion get killed and stink or would Marino succeed in today's NFL?

BTW, I wanted to make a poll but something has changed in setting it up.
  2. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Marino would be awesome. To say otherwise is ridiculous.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    ANY QB from "back in the day" would be BETTER in today's NFL.

WR's that are bigger, faster, and stronger that are allowed to run their routes untouched... then aren't allowed to get hit like they were before.

Not worrying about getting whacked in the head like they did in the past, etc...

Marino would probably put 5K yards way in the rear view mirror. I think he'd be pushing 6K yards in today's NFL.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    There were quite a few years that Marino played where receivers could get pretty much mugged. That is gone. QBs are not allowed to sustain the hits that they used to.

Given that Marino had perhaps the fastest release in the history of the league and the rules adjusted to promote offense since his prime, I would say that he might make the numbers that Brees and Brady have put up look rather pedestrian.
  5. DFWJC

23,526 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    Assuming he had the weapons, I think he'd go for at least 5000-5500 and 40-45 TDs.
    He is perfect for today's NFL and would be in QB heaven.
  6. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,577 Messages
    549 Likes Received

With all due respect to one of the greatest passers of all time , I think he would struggle unless he was in a system like New England's. He is very slow and zero mobility.
  7. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    He had a very fast release and was very smart on the field. He wouldn't be standing there taking hits.
  8. DFWJC

23,526 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning can dominate in today's NFL, so could Dan Marino.

Zero doubt. It's as much a given as anything football-related that I can think of.
  9. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,789 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Heck yeah he would be sick in today's NFL.
  10. ringmaster

1,789 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    You're right any of those QBs like: Marino, Elway, Aikman, Young, Moon, and Kelly would be absolutely raping NFL defenses today because of how they protect QBs and they wouldn't have to worry about too many concussions either today.

As for Marino he make 5,000 yds child's play as you say he be nearing 6,000 yds every season.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,835 Likes Received
    I don't think he would have a problem at all. His quick reads and release killed teams that blitzed him. Dan also was good at moving around inside the pocket to avoid the rush.
  12. ringmaster

1,789 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning would disagree with you my friend while he's slow and has zero mobility he too has one of the quickest releases in the history of the NFL.

Not mention they he and Marino is/was able to by time in the pocket by sliping, and sliding from a rush as well as their quick release.

Tony Romo also has a very quick release and the best part about it he has alittle mobility to go along with it not every QB is blessed with RG3, Newton, or Vick type athleticism and to be honest the dual threat QB is now becoming vastly overrated with the sucess of Newton, and RG3 just to name a few but the thing also is that they have shown they can be good passers as well.

So a QB has to use what got him to the dance in the NFL, be it his arm, or arm/legs.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,047 Messages
    4,540 Likes Received
    Is he'd be very good an understatement?
  14. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,097 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    One could (and some do) argue that Dan Marino was the best QB in the history of the league. His numbers would skyrocket if he was playing with today's rules. It would be frightening.
  15. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Why is mobility supposedly more important now? They protect quarterbacks from more hits now than they used to. If anything, it's easier to sit in the pocket now because of the aggressive protection for qbs from the league.
  16. DFWJC

23,526 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    I agree.

Marino would dominate in today's league.
    A dream come true for him.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    6000 yds and 60 TDs a season.

Only those that watched him understand just how good he was. He never had a good D and maybe one or two years had a decent run game.

In a lot of ways his career is like Romo's.
  18. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,577 Messages
    549 Likes Received

Dan Marino would be a good QB but would have to be in the right system to be top 5. Statistically, he does not have the accuracy of a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo or Joe Montana. He doesn't read a defense like Peyton Manning either. You guys remember all the great amazing stuff and forget all the picks and inc's in between for Mr.Marino. I remember the glory plays but I also remember the stinky old fish outings.

If the theories on this post hold true and you guys are not just fascinated with the "older days" then why does Joe Montana from the 80's have modern day "Tom Brady/ Peyton Manning" numbers and Dan Marino doesn't come close except for yards? Defenses tried to mugg Jerry Rice as much as they did Mark Duper/Clayton. The best have a 62-65% comp%, 92%+ rtg, INT rtg below 3% , Marino has none of these numbers nor does Elway. In Fact Elway's numbers are worse except he has two rings. They were great but to blame it on modern day defensive rules without looking at the systems their in you would have to put Montana far above all modern day Qb's like Brady and Manning and I'm not sure that is true.

What Marino has besides SB rings is the most Game winning drives in NFL History at 51. He did that in 240 games. Romo has 19 over 92 games and is on pace to break the all-time record.
  19. DFWJC

23,526 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    I would have done a poll.

If I had it would be about 50-1 before all was said and done.
    I just think it's one the no-brainer questions that you could ever dream up when discussing players from 30 years ago and now.
    Marino is a perfect fit for today's NFL. He would be amazing.

It's ok to disagree though.
    :starspin
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,669 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Not a doubt in my mind Marino would put up huge numbers in todays NFL. Gifted and smart always works at QB.