1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you wait on extending Romo?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CaptainMorgan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    Im interested in what you guys think about this. Im a huge Romo fan but Im a Cowboys fan first.

All signs point to Romo being extended this offseason to make his cap hit more friendly in the short term and we all know we need to clear some cap space.

My question is, would you focus on re-working some other player's contracts to clear that room and get under the cap, let Tony play out this last season under contract albeit at a substatial cap number and see where we are as a team at the end of the season. Or....

Do what is expected and extend him now.

If the team seriously underachieves this season perhaps not having Tony signed long term to a mega deal makes more sense. We have been snake bitten many times over by signing aging vets to big contacts as their wheels were coming off.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,628 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    Because of their cap situation they basically have to extend Romo. There certainly isn't a reason to not do it anyway. You should never let your qb go unless you have already found his replacement.
  3. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Great picture of my hero, Dick Winters...

To answer your question - sign him up for 5 more years. Backload his contract. Restructure in 4 and add a couple more if he is still performing.

The guy is great and will continue to be for several more years. Besides, the cupboard is bare for a replacement. Don't want to go through the post Aikman period again...
  4. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,061 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yup, those are my thoughts as well. It's either extend him or release him (and releasing him is not an option, as some of you here would suggest)
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,324 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Romo must be extended, but it must be done very carefully, and I'm sure it will be.
  6. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    You could resign Romo to keep the "status quo" but in the end the guy is not going to see that whole contract and we will eat some dead money in the end.If you really think resigning Romo would clear up some cap look at what other starting qbs are making on a yearly bases. I don't think resigning him will do any good cap wise unless you going to move some of his money around to the end of his contract which will be escalated once the guy is cut. Dallas is sort of in the same boat they was with Troy Aikman.. will you keep the aging qb long enough for that 70 million dollar contract to come in effect? The same with Romo are you going to resign another aging qb to a huge contract ??? Also please don't think Romo will take a "home team" discount its absurd for a starting qb in the NFL not to take his worth especially for the huge demand of qbs in this league. Heck i bet Romo could still possibly net a huge contract by another team if we would let him walk next year . My approach for this season would go as follows; i would get under the cap, be low key this FA and if a qb falls to me in the draft i would take him then trade Romo. If nothing happens i would let him play out his contract and let him walk... Of course this is just my input im sure JJ is already working on an extension for the guy.
  7. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,478 Messages
    462 Likes Received
    of course that makes more sense. But since when have Cowboys made sense in past 15 years. They will extend Romo contract and take the cap hit when they release him like they do with all of their over 30 year old signings.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,121 Messages
    4,318 Likes Received
    Extending Romo doesn't put him into that category.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,176 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    If I were Romo, I wouldn't sign anything.
  10. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    58 Likes Received
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    No not saying he does necessarily but if the team proves they are not capable of performing at a high level this season does it really matter who we have at QB the next couple of seasons while we continue to rebuild?

Its a perplexing question. I dont want Romo to go anywhere but its a gamble in my eyes if you give him the deal he is going to want this offseason.
  12. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,076 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Extend him, get him 2 OL starters this draft and give him a running game and we can make a run at it this year. Grab a DT or DE this draft along with a rb and a safety and the defense will have to make due. It is imperative we get two OL this draft to start this year. Throw them in and let them start, Give me Warmack or Cooper rnd 1 and another OL 2nd or 3rd round and let them start. Have to get back to the ground and pound.
  13. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Extend him now
  14. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    How do you plan on getting all this talent with 6 draft picks and being +20 million over the cap:rolleyes: ? Also don't forget we have to resign Romo.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,121 Messages
    4,318 Likes Received
    Depends. If you are responsible for selling tickets and putting people in chairs and selling the public perception we are still a viable playoff contender - yes.
  16. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    No extend him now, and bring in quality players on the offensive line.
  17. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    we are no better than the Arizona Cardinals do you think they are a playoff contender ? We haven't made the playoffs in 3 years !!!
  18. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,600 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    I wouldn't resign romo right now. Let him show what he has with a revamped oline and a new defense. If he pulls a flacco or kaepernick and takes us somewhere then I'm all for it. but until he proves himself we can't to him yet
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,467 Messages
    6,173 Likes Received
    I'd extend him in a heartbeat. As will the Cowboys.
  20. weaver21

weaver21 Member

633 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Re-signing Romo helps are cap situation, it doesn't hurt it.