1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you wait on extending Romo?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CaptainMorgan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,618 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    I don't think he'd miss the media attention.

He'd miss playing for the Cowboys that's for sure but I don't think he miss the constant grief he catches because he plays for the cowboys.
  2. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,618 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    If he throws for another near 5000 yds id think there would be a QB less franchise willing to take a chance even if the team does have a mediocre year.

But really we all know Romo gets a new deal to stay in Dallas.
  3. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

757 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    If Romo can't take the pressure then peace out. This is what comes with being the QB, especially of Americas Team the Dallas Cowboys. Is it fair? Damn sure isn't. But it is what it is. There's pressure, there's blame, there's scrutiny. He has big shoes to fill. Even though he's doing all he can, if he's not able to deal with all of the above then he shouldn't sign the extension and go to a city like Cleveland where they will most definitely cherish him and he won't need to deal with the pressure there.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,997 Messages
    7,742 Likes Received
    Good luck with that.

He's as good as extended, and probably don't think twice about whatever few fans who still don't realize how good a QB he is think about his ability to 'deal with it.'
  5. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,048 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    For the record, I think Tony does sign an extension and if he doesnt it will be of his own doing not that of the Cowboys. He knows we need cap room if we stand a chance of adding anyone this offseason so I really doubt he handcuffs the team by refusing to extend unless of course he wants out of here. Which is a possibility.
  6. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Again, no one would ever voluntarily leave playing quarterback for the Cowboys. Especially for the Browns.
  7. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

757 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    One wouldn't think so but you have posters on here saying "Romo might think about it because he has no help" blah blah blah and he's always scrutinized. If thats the case and Romo truly feels that way, deuces. This is what comes with being the QB of Dallas and if he can't take then he can gladly go to the Browns or whereever. I'm all for extending Romo but not if he has these so called doubts that fans on this forum are speaking of. If he's not mentally tough to handle the pressure of being here then I'm all for him leaving. If his mentality is NOT the aforementioned, then I'll gladly extend him.

Personally, I don't think he feels the way some posters think he does. I think he understands the scrutiny and although it is unfair, it is what it is and he's willing to cope.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,092 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    If he throws for 5000 yards and doesn't extend he gets franchised and we could do the same again the following season if we want to which means he'd be 36 by the time he hit FA. I'm sure there's lots of teams willings to take a chance on a 36 year old QB but not for anywhere close to the money they would pay him now.

Romo really doesn't have as much leverage here as some people think, he can't really choose where he wants to play for another 3 years even if his contract is up next year. Look at our OL and tell me if you'd gamble your carer on basically 3 1 year deals behind them
  9. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,680 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    I love tony and have backed him 100% but I think it's time to draft someone a bit higher to groom behind tony. Maybe light a fire under him. If we fixed our oline and tony still can't get it done its time to move on but I think he deserves one more shot
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I understand your reasoning but given who Romo already is, I think the logic is flawed.
    Light a fire under Romo?
    Do you actually think a film room and competition junkie who clearly would leave a kidney on the field to win needs to play harder?
    How much more effort can a person give and still have a life and family?

Maybe we find out Romo is not the right guy. It's possible.
    But at least for now, it certainly is not from any lack of desire by him to win and play his best.

I agree that the time is approaching to groom someone for down the road. Outside of the 1st round, I think if they saw a QB that was the BPA at the time they were picking, they would take one.
    I think they would have taken Dalton a couple of years ago in the 2nd round if he had been there.
  11. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,540 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    If Romo plays out this year and is franchised the next two, he'll make 43.5 million in the next 3 years. His leverage is plenty strong.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Considering the sacrifices Romo has given the last few years I don't question the fire Tony has.
  13. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,092 Messages
    489 Likes Received

If Romo signs an extention he's looking at somewhere close to 80 for the next 5 years. So it's really not. Not to mention that our OL is the last OL i'd want to risk my carer on a 1 year deal behind
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. There are many time Romo has gotten rocked having a hard time getting off the ground. He has had his ribs broken last year and the this year and the guy will continue to fight. He could go to the bench and use the injury as a legit excuse but the man wants to win. This notion he does not play with fire or have the desire to win is non sense.
  15. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Troy didnt do it by himself. Neither did Roger. Expecting Romo to get you there and to win in the playoffs all by himself is rediculous. This all falls at the feet of the talent evaluator.
  16. DFWJC

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    We know that no QB can get a SB without good or great talent around him on either offense, defense or, very often, both.
    But I'm even having a hard time thinking of any SB winning QB that totally carried their team to the title.

I guess Rodgers was close--but his D was close to leading the league in turnovers and his WR group was outstanding. Brees' Saints won it in similar fashion but with a better oline.
    Maybe Brady in one of those early years?
    I guess if Kurt Warner would have won with the Cards a few years ago, that would have been almost as close as it gets.
  17. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Elway the 2-3 times he went early in his career with the likes of Sammy Winder running the ball and I cant even name his receivers. But they had a good defense too.
  18. DFWJC

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Good example of someone almost winning one. But yes, the defense was good though. Weren't those the original "orange Crush" defenses?

I still can't think of one where they actually won it....but i'm sure someone will find one.