1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WR Prospect Cowboys might be interested in signing

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RealCowboyfan, May 25, 2006.

1. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Drouzon Quillen
    [IMG]:starspin

DROUZON QUILLEN MEASURABLES Height: 6-6 Weight: 218 40-yard dash: 4.44

Is tall and lanky. Has room to add more bulk and strength. Is athletic and played basketball in college. Uses body well to shield defenders from the ball and wins most jump balls. Adjusts well to bad passes and makes tough catches. Has a long stride and gets downfield quickly.
    Shows raw technique and has little experience against elite competition.
    Quillen has the height and athleticism to be an NFL receiver. He could have used another year of college experience but could prove to be a sleeper in the '06 class. He likely will be selected toward the end of Day 2 but could rise to the middle rounds with good predraft workouts.

Info>F.Y.I::

Quillen will skip his senior season and is training in Naples, Fla.
    "I had to do the best thing for my family," said Quillen, who is married with two children. "That was number one on my list. I felt that financially, I just couldn't stay in school another year."
    A junior from New Orleans whose nickname is "Tree," he is the first Louisiana-Monroe player to leave early for the NFL since cornerback Pat Dennis departed after the 1999 season. Dennis was a fifth-round pick by the Kansas City Chiefs in 2000.
    Quillen said he hopes to be a first-day pick. "I have my report back from some of them saying I may go as early as the third round if I'm lucky. I may go as late as the fifth," he said. "I'm pretty confident I'll go on that first day. I'm not really worried about where I will go. I know I can go play in that league right now."
    Quillen caught 32 passes for 514 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman in 2002 but missed the 2003 season with a knee injury. He bounced back to lead the Indians with 44 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns in 2004.
    As a junior, Quillen moved into the top 10 on ULM's career lists for touchdown receptions (19), catches (121) and receiving yardage (1,979). He recorded a catch in 30 straight games since midway through his freshman season. Quillen has signed with an agent.

2. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,166 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    So, I guess this guy is still available? What would be the reason?
  3. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My guess would be lack of experience and his unusual size for the position. But at 4.44 for a guy his height he might be worth taking a look at.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If he's so good why is he available? :D
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,512 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    He is so bad, he had a tryout for the Washington Redskins and hasn't been signed yet.
  6. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He must really suck :D
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,350 Messages
    4,312 Likes Received
    That's cuz he was too tall for the Skins WR corp.
  8. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,512 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    Probably.

He is just one of those players that nobody really has seen play, yet look at the measureables and think he can play.
  9. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Very true :laugh1:
  10. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,862 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    he is not a football player first and foremost. second I am leary of those really tall WRs. they are usually one trick ponies, run straight up and get jump balls. he probably can't even play ST. reminds me of randall williams. these tall lanky guys have trouble getting off the line and they tend to round their routes and not be very sharp in cutting and getting separation. they are easier to defend than you think because they don't run great routes and defenders can easier stick to them and bat balls away.

he would only be good if at all for deep throws and red zone offense. he would be a waste of a roster spot.
  11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Didn't we draft some 6'6" player in the 2002 draft? I think in the 6th round.

He was featured on Hard Knocks.

I was hoping he would be able to help us, but even with his height advantage, he wasn't able to make the team.

But to an extent, it just doesn't make sense ... when we used to play in the playground, we'd simply throw the ball high, and the tallest kid would come down with it?

Physics still applies. Even if Deveren Johnson can't run routes, heck, throw some jump balls to him ... he's got at least 6-8" inches over the CB's.
  13. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly Dev Johnsons problem was he had hands of stone.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Didn't he lose his entire year's salary from the PS by showing up late to a meeting once???
  15. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At 6' 6" he may not have the agility to be a WR.
  16. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't recall that.
  17. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Randal williams all over again?
  18. RealCowboyfan

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I seen him play and with the right coaching he can be a dominant receiver in the NFL...:starspin
  19. RealCowboyfan

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I wouldn't say that much...:starspin
  20. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,125 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    If we want a tall, lanky redzone receiver, we already have one. Pat Watkins...