1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WWJD (What Will Jerry Do?)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Picksix, Nov 15, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,028 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    TheXFactor and Wolf2k5 like this.
  2. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

831 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Maybe another special teams draft
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Somehow we have to go 1-15.
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,290 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Yea, its like night and day the difference between Payton and Opie..................and to think Payton was once on this staff and we let him get away...........................man, that hurts.
  5. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,870 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    We can talk ourselves blue in the face about who might enter the picture to pull this team out of the rut it's in but the inescapable fact of the matter is that as long as JJ is guiding the football operations of this team, it'll be more of the same. The hole is deep and getting deeper. Jerry will compromise anybody and everybody who is foolish enough or desperate enough to work under him as this team's HC. We've seen some otherwise decent candidates go by the wayside one after another. This team is gushing blood from its many wounds, thanks to our incompetent GM. Unfortunately, for us and them, there's no tourniquet available to stem the bleeding. Truth.
  6. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,387 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    We're tied, for one more day, in the worst division in football at .500, coming off a record-setting demonstration of ineptitude that recalls the heady days of Anthony Wright and Dave Campo. A little more context helps with the perspective.
    TheXFactor likes this.
  7. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,568 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    His priority is profit first winning second. We've been mediocre this long and the cowboys are still the most valuable franchise so winning isn't essential.

With that said, I hope he goes back and tries to figure out why we have so much cap money tied up in players that aren't contributing on the field or aren't even on the team. The key to any job is constant improvement and if we aren't going to get a real GM whose job depends on getting results at least he could try to get better at it.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,648 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    If anyone knows, or can figure out what Jerry's next move will be, you need to seek medical attention/help as soon as possible.
  9. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

838 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I'm saying let's have the "who's the next coach?" Threads where they belong. Combined with all the other sky is falling posts.

I'm not saying I'm extremely confident in any aspect of the team and I've been against Garrett since he started but I'm not ready to call the season over just yet.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,788 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
    I think Garrett stays.

Jerry knew when he hired a new DCoordinator that it might take a season to get the defense together.

The offense got worse under Callahan than it ever was under Garrett. If it does not improve, then I think Callahan gets the blame.

Summary:

Defense fails: Jerry attributes it to new scheme and injuries.

Offense fails: Jerry blames Callahan.

The biggest question will be if the new OC brings his own scheme or if they stay with Garrett's scheme.
    Wolf2k5 likes this.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that Jerry would actually make a good, effective choice, that'll dramatically improve our fortunes. I'm just trying to get an idea of what people think he'll do (if he ends up making a change).
  12. Picksix

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Okay, let's say we get a new OC. Any ideas who that would be? I'd kinda be interested in Doug Nussmeier from Alabama. I know he's a college coach, but he's coaching more of a pro style offense, and there's the Saban connection. Of course, he may be looking ahead a few years to when Saban retires, with the idea of possibly taking over himself. Joe Philbin perhaps? Hard to see him surviving what's going on in Maimi.
  13. xwalker

10,788 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
    I have no idea. I want somebody that is creative without depending on gimmicks.

Does Alabama do anything special or do they just have much better players, especially on the OLine? The 2012 Alabama OLine was much better than the 2012 Cowboys OLine.
  14. Picksix

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Good point. They don't do anything gimmicky, but yeah, they are typically physically superior. Although I will say, living near Seattle, that I saw Nussmeier a lot when he was with UW, and I was very impressed.
  15. Beast_from_East

14,290 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    So what exactly is Opie around for then?

If he does not call the defense and the new OC installs and runs his own offensive system that is totally different than what Garrett ran........................what exactly is left to do for Garrett besides stand on the sideline and clap?

He would be nothing more than a glorified cheerleader at that point, so I really dont see the point in keeping him if we toss his offense out the window.
  16. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    I don't know of every move Jerry will make, but I am afraid that until Jerry exhausts every excuse there is, Garrett will be head coach. He has another offensive coordinator to go through before things get shaky for him. I DO NOT agree with this way of thinking....I'm just saying that I believe thats what we'll see. I said before I think 2 things would have to happen for Garrett to get the boot after this season:
    1. Cowboys finish off the season going 1-5.
    2. the NYG win the division after starting 0-6.
  17. Beast_from_East

14,290 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    If the G-spots win the division after starting 0-6...........................Entire coaching staff out the door.
  18. Picksix

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I hear you, but then what was Jimmy? He had Wannsteft to run the defense and call the signals, and he brought in Norv in his 3rd year to run a different offense...correct? He also did a lot of clapping on the sidelines. There's no question that Jimmy had his hand in everything, and yes, most of his coaches were his guys from Miami. I think Jason oversees and has a hand in everything, too, just maybe not to the same degree or not as well.

And btw, you should stop calling him Opie, as if it's a negative. That kid was money :p
  19. Picksix

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Can't see it happening. They'd have to win 5 of 6 just to make it to 8-8, and they still play at Was, SD, and Det, and have Sea at home.
  20. xwalker

10,788 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
    I'm sure anybody that works for Saban is a smart, hard working, no-nonsense type.