1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Yahoo Sports Free Agency Team by Team Grades

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Apr 4, 2014.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is not just the defense. It is the quickest way for the whole team to get where they need to be.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,819 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Its the correct grade. We only signed Henry Melton. Lost 3 starters. Its not a big deal. Now if after the draft we're still looking at a D-? We're in trouble.

The NFL is not built on free agency. Its built on how your talent progresses from year to year. None of these free agents will have any factors into who makes the post season or who wins the Super Bowl next season.
    jnday likes this.
  3. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    But if it doesn't translate to wins, what's the point?

Their grades reward signing the most big names and that is a lousy strategy. If it worked, the Redskins would have been a dynasty in the 2000s, and Andy Reid would be dominating the NFC East with his "Dream Team."
  4. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    This is actually the first time in years that the Cowboys have handled free agency correctly. I give them credit when credit is due. But at the same time, I know it's because they backed themselves into a corner and had no other alternative but to handle this year they way they have.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,565 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    Or, it was an article about the team this site represents.

I see you ducked out for a few days after claiming I was avoiding you. And still no apology.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Exactly, this isn't rocket science here.

We lost 52% of our sacks from last season and all we did was sign a guy coming off an ACL injury and a couple of backup scrubs.

Anybody that thinks this team is better, needs to learn the game.............even Spags said on Talking Cowboys (the ultimate homer) has said the team is gotten worse, not better this offseason.

Bottom line is this is a 500 team that has gotten worse.........I know that may not be what the 10, 11, and 12 win crowd wants to hear, but its the truth.
    jnday and Idgit like this.
  7. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,423 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    We got worse but those were the right moves. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. Just need to build through the draft. This thing is broken and takes time to fix. Letting ware and hatcher walk frees cap space and makes room for young guys to come in and get some reps. Dallas is going to lose anyway, I'd rather lose knowing they aren't overpaying guys that under achieve.
    Idgit likes this.
  8. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    What grade did y'all expect? I give Dallas an F. Who have they even signed? Brandon Weeden and some guys off other teams practice squads and Henry Melton coming off ACL surgery?
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,343 Messages
    2,898 Likes Received
    Because hate sells and collects likes.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,123 Messages
    1,985 Likes Received
    The team could maintain this sucky free-agent ranking right to the start of the season and still end up with a better defense than last year (which I believe is going to happen).
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,073 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Yeah, shouldn't you get letter grade points for not overpaying 30+year old free absents and trouble makers? Lol

They saw I was missing a a letter.
  12. egn22

egn22 Active Member

816 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I give us a B. We did good w what we had to work with and moved on the right direction to improve our cap.
    I'm happy with it
  13. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Better than mortgaging the farm for a safety when they drafted one the year before. Saints have had a far worse offseason than Dallas and they'll probably lose Jimmy Graham after next season.
  14. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Because obviously free agency is only part of the formula. Both the Redskins and the Reid-Era Eagles habitually drafted like poop, which is why they never have never won anything despite all of the FA signings.

OTOH, a team like the Patriots, which is not exactly a great drafting team either, typically uses free agency very well and is obviously a perennial contender.

So no, whoever does the best in Free Agency doesn't win the offseason trophy or an automatic entry into the Superbowl. But to ignore it as one method that well run teams use to remain consistently competitive, or for teams like Seattle to quickly go from the basement to the penthouse is silly. Doing well with FA matters.
  15. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,068 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    It's the truth. and some times the truth hurts. this team has not done anything to get better this off season. in fact the team has gotten worse. right now this may very well be the worst team in the NFC. Who are we better than? Tampa Bay has gotten better and has a better head coach. so who are we better than? Atlanta when health is better than us. this team is in trouble.and a lot of you are acting like you are shocked that others see just how bad we are.
  16. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,254 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Now that's going out on a limb:D
  17. MichaelWinicki

31,123 Messages
    1,985 Likes Received
    Yes, it's the truth.

But until the draft, training camp & preseason are concluded, I'm not looking at it as a harbinger of things to come.

The offense is coming back nearly intact. Some help through the draft combined with some good health on defense... Well it wouldn't take much to be better than last season.
  18. MichaelWinicki

31,123 Messages
    1,985 Likes Received
    No one else posted it. LOL!
  19. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    My point wasn't that free agency doesn't matter, it obviously does. My point was that the free agency grades don't correspond with actually doing well in free agency. For instance, the Patriots are famous bargain hunters, behavior which generally doesn't get a high grade.
  20. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,068 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    +1000. your post is right on the money. may be the worst team in the NFC outside of Minnesota.