1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

You won the lottery, you own the cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by iceberg, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,079 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    WATCH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS OR THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Fire anyone in the organization with the last name of "Jones" or anyone that looks like the crypt keeper.

Then for the next 5 years I'd try and get the salary cap under control, even if it means eating a crap ton of dead money the first couple of years. No more pushing large amounts of money to the future.

Of course I'd hire a real GM and make sure that new GM and I stayed out of the coaches' business.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  3. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    the OP premise is flawed since winning the lotto wont suffice to buy this team.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Then assume you won like 5 lottos in the same week. It's just fantasy... go along with it.
    silver likes this.
  5. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    They wont be easy, but feasible.

Building in the trenches, finding a good safety, adding a well rounded RB, and future QB should be possible.
  6. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    OK I'll play. Hire a real GM, maybe Ozzie Newsome understudy or the personnel guy in Seattle. Hire Kevin Sumlin as your HC and go from there.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    Seriously? I treat it like a work project

* I hire a team of football minds to assess the team - a think-tank (the Polians & Parcells of the world)
    * Look at lean management styles and determine where I need to take hits to get the team to prominence on a long-term success basis
    * Balance the plan against revenue to make sure the team stays relevant
    * Develop realistic time-tables for the changes
    * This think tank is also the group that hires the GM (it could be someone on the think tank)
    * The GM has whatever the time table is to develop the plan (plus one year)
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,529 Messages
    9,690 Likes Received
    Winner.

It may take you a few hires to find the right guy but at least the structure is sound.

Anything short of this is window dressing.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,529 Messages
    9,690 Likes Received
    So in other words, hire Bill Polian and then do all his thinking for him.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Consider a Ted Thompson understudy as GM -- two have left in the last three years:

Schneider - GM of the Seahawks
    Dorsey - Hired this year as the GM of the Chiefs

Can't complain about what those two franchises have done in recent years under these Ted Thompson disciples.

The guys I'd like to see the Cowboys hire is Elliot Wolf -- Ron Wolf's son -- he is currently the NFL's youngest Director of Player Personnel and is considered an absolute wonderkid. He started his NFL scouting when he was 14.
  11. black label

black label Well-Known Member

345 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Buy the fastest wheelchairs ever made
    Find the biggest hills in Texas
    Put kiffin,garret,jones in them and push them down the hill.
    T-RO likes this.
  12. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

940 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Same cure as always. Just get rid of the Jones family. It's not like some new disease has been discovered.

After that, well, try to come up with a vision and new identity for this team. No more Jerry-like "what tendencies in the league can I replicate" kind of thinking. No more country club and entitlement culture. No more attention to past history.

Redefine yourself and move forward. I don't really care about the exact plan for this. As long as you move on from the current ownership.
    HeavyBarrel likes this.
  13. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Pretty good post. Those that disagree with your take are the ones who want full blown change but don't want to go through the suffering of a rebuild. In order to correct certain issues there will be some suffering. I think if you have a good QB you can always be in the mix even during a rebuild. However, its going to take a crappy year or two and some lowered expectations during that time frame to get where you want to go.
  14. hutch1254

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Well the punter just took inadvertent shrapnel.
  15. Naruto

Naruto Active Member

622 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Hire Jimbo Fisher.

Go to Junction Texas for training camp re-named Franchise Cleansing. Cut all the losers, hanger-ons and dead weight who can't hang.

Suck bad for a couple years but stockpile talent in key areas.

Re-evaluate
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Eh, it's just a punter.
  17. hutch1254

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Yup and one that I don't considered to be a weapon in the special teams part of the game. To me he's just there.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Yeah, he's average. But even if he were the greatest punter of all time... he's still just a punter. :D
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received

this
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    I would keep the coaching staff, but I would look for somebody else to run the offense. I want to stick with the zone blocking scheme. I'd keep Callahan as the O-Line coach.

Since I'm the owner, I would look for an offensive mind that is not only creative from a pass play perspective, but from a running play perspective. I want *balance* on offense. And I want an offense designed to go for it on 4th downs quite often. But, I need a play caller that keeps that in mind.

The math behind it is simple. If I need 10 yards on 1st and 10, if have to get 3.33 yards per play in order to get a first down if I use the typical 3-down playcalling. But, if I use a 4-down mentality, now I only need 2.5 yards. And if it's 2nd and 10, it is the difference between 5 yards and 3.33 yards per play. 3rd and 10 it comes down to 10 yards versus 5 yards.

Since I'm the owner, I can take it. But, I have little doubt that this would work brilliantly once you work out the kinks. We would kill time of possession, we would make the RB and QB's jobs easier.

From there, I would work diligently to stockpile draft picks each year. I would try and set up 2014 draft as one 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd, etc. Then take a 2nd rounder and draft a QB.

Defensively, I would start looking at taller corners and DB's. That is what Pete Carroll has done. Size and physicality on the backside, speed and explosiveness on the front side. It would also fit in with Kiffin and Marinelli's scheme.

YR