1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Game...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Believe it or not, Dez and Austin do run alot of drag routes.

As a matter of fact, one play Dallas has ran alot is the pick/rub route to get Austin free over the middle of the field when he's in the slot. They also did this repeatedly with Beasley vs WAS.

They usually end up being routine plays that pick up first downs so no one really notices it unless you go back and study the tape.

[youtube]eC1hf4t_rec[/youtube]
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,965 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    I know that they do. But what happened to the comeback route? That was a major one up through last year and it seems to have lost beeing a feature. Quick ins? slants? etc.

Don't get me wrong, I know we have and use these routes, but more often it seems we have two deep routes, an intermediary and a short check down.
  3. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't say 2nd half, I said second quarter.

Going back a month eh, when the OL was still getting destroyed. And play-action off of shot-gun snaps, when Dallas was clearly going pass, because the Giants were up 23-0. I mean that impressive 19 yard rushing game was just the key of which to make effective play-action. Please don't go there... Even if we were to assume for the sake of argument what you say is true, which as we can see is quite comical in your rather lame attempt to establish a point, one game does not a trend make. Remember, we are 11 games into the season.

Well, considering he rolled straight to his right on the play-action, from the beginning of the snap, you can be pretty sure he was rolling to the right. But don't be confused on this, i.e. the play was still all Romo, but the fact that that side had shifted the defense right, made a big difference in Dez being able to break free for a TD.

Sorry, but this play was one-on-one, straight down the seam, without any safety help and Witten had burned his man, because of the play-action. And one more time, you do realize we are eleven games into the season.

I didn't say that they couldn't improve on the OL, I said if one thinks the problem is primarily the talent, they are fooling themselves. It's the same OL and Doug Free was getting abused all day.

One more time....

Play action..

The fact that, even if we assume that the Red-Headed Genius, came up with going play-action, the reality that anybody and everybody could see it all year long, including the like's of Sturm is telling about this coach... Like I said, my grandmother could have coached the talent on this team.

And like I said as well, Philly played a lot of man from what I could tell, which helped the Cowboys offense...
  4. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Dez's catch and fumble in the WAS game was on a double slants with Beasley running a slant beside him.

The comebacks are still there but the Cowboys saw the voids in the middle of the field and kept attacking those areas.

Route concepts usually have a deep route or two in the design. The purpose is to get a Safety to commit to that deep route so you can go underneath it or get them to commit underneath so you can go over the top. The better option for the S is to always keep things in front of them. When you can't run the ball effectively against a two deep coverage, you don't give anything the defense can respect and they won't change their coverages.

Opposing defenses are playing two deep coverages to keep Romo going underneath so that we have to dink and dunk are way up the field. With the effectiveness of the running game PHI had to reconsider that approach and we took our shots when they aligned a S closer to the box.
  5. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    You simply don't get it, consider yourself ignored from this point forward.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No I get your love for Garrett, despite his tenure as straight sucking...
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Well, nobody wants to hear this but it may be that Tyron is a RT. These discussions were had early on during the draft discussions. Tyron will get more time to prove he can play LT but right now, he looks like a bad fit for it IMO. Time will tell.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    I think he's ignoring you.
  9. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,868 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I was encouraged by a few things:
    OL seemed to get a little better as the game went on. This is against a very deep Philly DL.
    We finally got a little pressure in the 4th on defense.
    Dez maybe developing into something.
    Defense, I just want to see us play hard. I know this defense isn't the same w/ the injuries, but would love to see some guys take advantage of the situation.
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    of course you dont, it is too convenient for garrett lovers to say this

put Kyle Orton under center and watch the system fail

romo bails out RJ and his lack of imagination several times every game
  11. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    Just like 2010, when Romo went down. That kind of every time? Or just the pretend kinds of every time that haven't happened yet and so can't be verified one way or another?
  12. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So there is only one solution... Go get Jon Kitna and replace him as a starting QB over Tony Romo so we can see JG's brilliance shine forth once again...

BTW, that system did fail by the end of the year... That's another myth of the JG lovers.. That team scored a whopping 13 points against the Eagles, when they started Kolb. 4 out of those 8 games, Kitna didn't even break 200 yards passing. Jon Kitna threw 12 INTs. It just so happened the defense started to get turnovers and they played some awfully bad teams.

They actually ran the ball and played especially conservative, which will get you a few wins, but not anywhere near a play-off team.

But yeah, let's just leave out the part of Jerry threatening the whole team that they were playing for their jobs...
  13. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    Dang that Jason Garrett. I just knew he was responsible for something bad happening that season, but I just wasn't sure what it was. Good to know, now.

And, hooray for Jerry Jones for making the team so much better by threatening their jobs! He should totally do that every week then. What a GM he'd be if he threatened the players more.
  14. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,598 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    I read a blurb somewhere that said Free had "technique" problems which were corrected at halftime, so he played better in the 2nd half.

My question is a simple one: why did the coaching staff wait until halftime when he was looking like the worst OL in the history of the sport? Why not put in the swing tackle and coach him up immediately, then put him back in?
  15. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,615 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    Garrett minus Romo would be ugly. Anyone remember the Brad Johnson days?
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,084 Messages
    4,560 Likes Received
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluestang [IMG]
    You simply don't get it, consider yourself ignored from this point forward.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong if you tried to. Learn what a cover 2 is and how to attack it with our offense successfully. Then you will understand how to get a safety to commit and beat the coverage.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    You're kidding, right? Bernardeau was horrible.

Livings had a better game than Bernardeau.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    What pocket?

And the JG apologists in this thread have given me great entertainment. Thank you.
  19. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There you go missing the point again. I wasn't trying to argue that a small stretch of games proves a guy as a genius. You are..

You see, these type of changes are bandages on wounds and only temporarily mask apparent issues, like being a pathetic coach in reality or having an owner threaten you with your job. As time goes on, then reality sets in, like it does with Garrett, and he gets exposed more and more everyday.

It became apparent by the end of the season yet again that year... Kitna was throwing less than 200 hundred yards a game and had a whopping 12 INTs.

It's funny how Garrett's supporters blame all of Garrett's problems as lack of turnovers on defense, no OL, and so on and so forth, but when the team actually gets TOs and the like, suddenly it's a result of Garrett...

Then the next year happened... and this year...

Like another poster happened, we can also see Garrett's record with Brad Johnson... So I guess we should follow your logic and bench Romo and bring in Kitna, so we can see for ourselves the genius of JG... what you say?
  20. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    I say this post is very tenuously tethered to reality because you're addressing arguments that aren't even being made and the attributing them to me or to an entire group of people who don't agree with you. At least you got all the proper names right.

And that that thing you're referring to in your first sentence as a 'point'...it isn't actually a point. I'm not arguing that that stretch of games in 2010 made anybody a genius.