1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zach Mettenberger Quarterback LSU

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Apr 1, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,560 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Zach Mettenberger | Quarterback
    Team: LSU Tigers
    Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 222
    [IMG]
    LATEST NEWS
    RECENT NEWS

Draft insider Tony Pauline is reporting that the Vikings are "heavily leaning towards" taking LSU QB Zach Mettenberger in the second round because they want an LB such as Buffalo's Khalil Mack in the first.
    The Vikes desperately need a franchise signal-caller, but they also have a huge need for an edge rusher capable of disrupting opposing passing games. Coach Mike Zimmer's nights are presumably interrupted with nightmares of being helplessly carved up by Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford. Mack would afford the team a massive upgrade on the outside if Minnesota allots Mettenberger a grade not far below the top four QBs. Mettenberger could be a good fit in Norv Turner's vertical passing game, as Rotoworld's Josh Norris discussed in a recent "Draft Needs" video. Apr 1 - 7:57 PM
    Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,560 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    If this has any truth to it, a position player is off the board and a QB drops.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,918 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    I really don't expect Zimmer to go after one of the top QBs. Especially not Manziel. He's a no-nonsense guy and I bet the circus like atmosphere at JFB's pro day completely turned him off.
    tm1119 likes this.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,868 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    I would think that the Vikings could potentially have a few guys from whom to choose in the 2nd round, but if Cleveland goes WR in round #1 (which they are leaning at the moment), then they take a QB early in the 2nd
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,434 Likes Received

Cleveland can go WR and QB in the first round as they have two 1st round picks.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,063 Messages
    5,399 Likes Received
    Zimmer really needs to make the right pick at QB. A new Head Coach can do many great things, but if he doesn't get a decent QB, he's probably going to get fired in a short period of time.
    Gaede likes this.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,868 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    true, my bad...I think I already have cleveland trading their 2nd first rounder and their 2nd rounder to us for the #16 :D
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    From ESPN
    Zimmer called it a sideshow and went to great detail about their visit with Manziel.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...texas-qb-johnny-manziel?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Also....
    Consider what Zimmer told reporters last week at the NFL owners meetings when talking about picking a quarterback: "For me, it's the character of the guy. Will this guy lead our football team? I want to make sure that the guy we bring in has the athletic ability but I also want him to have my persona. Because him and I are going to be tied together, whoever we draft. I don't want him to be a completely different personality from me if I can help it. I want this guy to be a leader and a guy who wants to take a bunch a guys and make a great franchise. "

Some are saying this is smokescreen and doesn't rule out Manziel. But with Zimmer being pretty no-nonsense, I tend to agree with you.
    Gaede likes this.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,139 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    An LSU QB? Dunno about that one...
  10. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I think Mettenbeger has real upside.. Not kidding here (also not predicting it) but I've thought could be end up being one of, if not the, best in this class.
    Big, tall, and a much stronger arm than any of the top three.

To me, the light came on for him before he got hurt this year. With a little NFL coaching, his upside is very real.

He's worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a QB needy team, imo.
  11. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

812 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    Probably rules out Mettenberger as well.
    For that and other reasons, he's ranked #135 on my board.
  12. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, the 2nd round seems rich. He does have some warts.
    I think for team that will have a vertical passing attack--like the Vikings most likely will--I can why there is interest.
  13. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

789 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Yeah. The Vikings are making their draft strategy public.
  14. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,913 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Murray's got a higher ceiling, and a higher floor.
  15. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

404 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Mettenberger's potential >>>>>>> Aaron Murray's potential

If Vikings did grab him, they would be getting a helluva player and a upgrade to what they have now on the roster. I don't even like LSU but I know this kid was legit under Cam Cameron
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  16. Cowboy Brian

11,913 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    No way man. Mettenberger is unlikely to hit, and if he does I see him capping out at about the Joe Flacco level. Murray will not be a disaster, worst case he's an elite back-up best case is Tony Romo level. Murray > Mettenberger on both fronts.
  17. Cowboy Brian

11,913 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    It's like running a post to the end-zone with a hot pass to Marty B. four times in a row and having an incomplete every time. It's so nuts no one would believe you'd actually do it, so maybe it's so mental that it is their actual strategy.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,691 Messages
    4,965 Likes Received
    I would not discount the fact Mettenberger had his best season under Cam Cameron, who is a crony of Norv Turner's.
    Gaede likes this.
  19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    This is the kid I want in Dallas dang it. He's a very good prospect.
  20. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I kind of like Murray too.

But have you ever looked at him compared to Colt McCoy?

Both were big winners in college, record-wise.

Stats:
    McCoy
    6'2", 217 lbs
    70 % comp rate
    155 Career QB rating
    13253 yards passing
    1571 yard rushing,
    20 rushing TDs
    112/45 TD/INT
    45 team wins

Murray
    6'1', 208 lbs