1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zack Martin a wild card for 1 st rd ?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by bodi, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,965 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    I would be happy with any of the 3 ND players in the first round under the right circumstances...Martin, Nix, Tuitt
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received

never figured out why 1 inch makes so much difference
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Yep, arm length didn't keep Phil Costa from being All Pro, Oh wait...

Obviously some players have defied the odds, but IMO, good teams draft based on probabilities. Having really short arms just lowers a prospects probabilitty of being successful at the next level. Optimum for an OT is 36".
  4. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    FWIW, Bill Callahan likes his position flexibility and he has told some around VR, including Bryan Broddaus, that he would start Martin at OG Day 1.
  5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,442 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I'm curious, so I'll drag my ignorance out. What's optimum for guards and centers?
  6. burmafrd

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received

Gil Brandt said they passed on Mike Singletary because he was ONE INCH under the minimum they wanted for LBs.
  7. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    When you play the probabilities you'll miss here and there. But not as often as you'll miss if you don't play the probabilities. That's the point. There will always be the exception to the rule you can point to... but that doesn't change that there's a rule for a reason.
  8. burmafrd

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    they were too rigid; they did not look deeper that was a problem once the rest of the league caught up to them in the late 70's and early 80's.

They passed on both Joe Montana and MIke Singletary. Both pretty much for the same reason. Size.
  9. xwalker

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    I assume that you are getting this from some of the videos on the Cowboys' website.

I like Martin as a Guard and I like the concept that he could probably play OT, at least in a backup role. I would just be sure to rank him based on being an Guard and not elevate his ranking based on playing OT.
  10. NeonDeion21

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Yes. But I don't know that him being a Guard here necessarily moves him down the board further. We have seen in recent years that the Cowboys value guards in the draft with Cooper, Warmack and DeCastro all receiving high first round grades. They have also spent big money on Davis, Livings, MB and Waters.
  11. xwalker

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Yes, I realize that. Also, the Cowboys might be more likely to take a Guard or Guard/Tackle than a Tackle only type player if need has an impact on the decision.

If you rank him as a Guard only, then a couple of questions come up. Is he powerful enough at 305 lbs to play Guard. Does his small wingspan indicate that he is maxed out on his frame? The fact that the Cowboys play a Zone Blocking scheme would make it less of an issue than it might be for some teams.
    NeonDeion21 likes this.
  12. NeonDeion21

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Agreed. I have a feeling this guy is going to get a lot more consideration from the Cowboys than we might have ever expected. I'm not sure there is a lot of risk there and I think JC prefers to go the safer route in the 1st.
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Kouandjio will be there when they pick, and would be hard to pass up IMO.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    -- I went back and watched more Greg Robinson tape. He's one of those guys who is really talented. He can get overextended at times and needs to improve his footwork but he really finishes. If you need an offensive lineman, he would be a great addition. I think he's good enough to play left tackle. You can start him at guard. You can start him at right tackle as well. He's probably the best run blocker in the entire draft. I really enjoyed watching his tape. He did have some inconsistencies in pass blocking, where he would get overextended or was late off the snap, but no one finished better in the run game.

-- I watched more of Cyrus Kouandjio's tape to compare them and I think they have a lot of the same attributes. Kouandjio is also a really nasty run blocker. I just think Robinson is more rangy, and is more athletic. They're really similar players.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2014/01/cowboys-draft-2014-cowboys-nation-top.html
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't want him due to his size unless he can get in the 320lb range. The biggest failure in drafting OL is hoping they can gain weight and strength. IMO there are OL that has the size and power to step in day one without the gamble that the strength and size with develop. Frederick didn't need time to develop in those areas and it worked out well.
  16. xwalker

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    I think you have to take an educated guess on which players will get bigger. Tyron Smith was 307 when drafted, but he has a big frame with a big wingspan. He was also strong in both the bench testing and in game footage.

Martin appears to be very strong in game footage. He's not David Arkin; however, he's also not Tyron Smith.
    Wingspan:
    Tyron Smith 84-5/8
    Zack Martin 76-7/8
  17. burmafrd

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received

kind of unfair to compare a mortal to superman
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Zack Martin is also a guy Broaddus won't shut up about. Last year, the random guy he kept bringing up was J.J. Wilcox and the Cowboys snagged him - so it's possible he knows something about the Cowboys interest in the guy.
  19. xwalker

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    His (Broaddus) favorite player last year was Floyd.
  20. xwalker

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Travis Frederick 33"

The 2 Guards drafted in the top 10 in the 2013 draft:
    Chance Warmack 34-3/4"
    Jonathan Cooper 33"

Two top NFL Guards:
    Jahri Evans 34-1/8"
    Logan Mankins 33-3/8"