1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Zimmer given permission to interview with Falcons

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by mullet, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There are times when you need to trim the tree before you cut the sucker down.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Cut the fat!!
    Zimmer be gone!!

If ANYONE thought that our 2003 Defense was a top D then they are beyond stupid. The teams with a real offense and good OCs ate us up. We might have been #1 in yds, but in points we were WELL below that.
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    We don't play Atlanta next year, and in any event, given his stature on this board, wouldn't playing him be a good thing?
  4. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,919 Messages
    41 Likes Received

Umm we were #2 in points lol
  5. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,969 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Good!

Hope he takes Bowles (ex-deadskin & forty-whiner) with him.
  6. Achozen

Achozen Sounds From The Lair

5,077 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It would suck if he turns ATL's D into a beast next season.

:eek:
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,244 Messages
    5,489 Likes Received
    That will not happen.

Bowles will probably succeed him.
  8. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lately i have joined the people that think its not all Zimmer's fault, Parcells tells Zimmer how he wants the D ran and its Zimmer's job to execute(yes could be either destroy it or get it done...) it. Parcells style of game which is conservative is the main problem!!! although yes i still hope zimmer is gone!!!
  9. burmafrd

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    #2 in points is not how I remember the last part of the season where we got toasted by Miami, Philidelphia, then Carolina in the playoffs.
  10. smarta5150

smarta5150 Mr. Wright

7,161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he does you know what that means, dont you?
  11. BlueDemon

BlueDemon Benched

383 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) Isn't it against NFL rules to make a lateral move?

2) Zimmer was pretty damn good in the 3-4 - Why not just go back to the 4-3 b/c our LB's are brutal...in coverage. And we get no rush.

Don't forget Zimmer had a number 1 defense here!!!
  12. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And your reasoning as to why Zimrod's defense sucked BEFORE Parcells got here is...?

We had exactly the same problems then that we do now folks. Trust me, it's Zimmer but Parcells kept him on because they have a similar mindset of "playing-not-to-lose".
  13. BigDFan5

14,919 Messages
    41 Likes Received

It was #2 in points allowed thats a fact
  14. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

His contract expires. Therefore, he can make a lateral move.
  15. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,963 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    I don't think Zimmer's an incompetent coordinator. It wouldn't surprise me that, if hired therre, he does make that defense a solid unit. I think he's shown he can take a unit and make it sound.

Look at the 2003 team. Even this year's defense was among the league's best for nearly 10 weeks.

The two questions I have are: What happens when offenses start to figure him out? That's been his problem here. Not a great adapter, it seems.

Also, I'm curious to see how aggressive (or, how successful he is when being aggressive) he is. Here, at times, he's seemed timid. Other times, when aggressive, the blitzes typically just don't work. We either have some of the worst blitzing linebackers/safeties in the league, or there's something wrong with the coaching/scheming. I guess we'll soon find out.

I think it has to attract teams that he has experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4. If he can ever successful schemes/personnel to mix these two schemes, he might be an interesting guy to watch.
  16. burmafrd

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Went back and looked at the schedule for the 2003 season. The team with the highest rated offense we played was Philthy who was 11. Then NE at 12, NO at 14, Caolina at 15, Miami at 17. THose were the highest rated offenses we came up against and we LOST TO ALL OF THEM. We got blown out by Philthy and Miami, and Carolina in the playoffs. THAT is not the mark of a team with a #1 D.
  17. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  18. BigDFan5

14,919 Messages
    41 Likes Received

We beat Carolina and Philly in the regular season holding them to 20 and 12 points

We held NE to 12 points

Held the Saints to 13
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,244 Messages
    5,489 Likes Received
    That is the summary of his problems. He is incompetent in that respect alone. Either we get it right to begin the game, or we don't get it at all. That was the hallmark of the Campo era when he was actually in charge of the defense.

While I question how dirty his hands get in our defensive implementation, I do believe he is charged with game management and adjustments. He doesn't do that well at all.

He will preach "attack" while at the same time whisper "conservative" out the other side of his mouth. That's why he has confused players. If you are going to preach an attacking style, you cannot instill fear into your players to not give up big plays. The two styles are counterproductive. He does not give enough freedom to make an attack defense much more than simple lip service. He doesn't coach solid blitz techniques, nor have his units been very successful at creating turnovers either. That is what an "attack" defense is supposed to do. Cosmetically, I am sure it will look that way. But eventually the styles will converge and he will go back into a bend but do not break philosophy.

I believe you are giving him too much credit.
  20. burmafrd

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    If you remember, TB and the Pats absolutely owned us. THEY shut us out and did what they wanted to pretty much on D. They controlled the game and ate our lunch. The second Philthy game was a total blowout; Miami owned us on Thanksgiving. Then Carolina owned us again in the playoffs. THAT is not a top D.