1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zoners: Do you prefer Speed or Brute strength?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Mar 2, 2013.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,176 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Zoners,

All I read mostly is our OL is the greatest need in either FA or the Draft, however, if our #1 OL draft prospect is already taken before we pick--then, how many of you believe we should just go for it?

NFL Mock Draft: Tavon Austin breaks through http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/165254

I believe after watching this kid destroy OU, with his speed; quickness; pass catching ability etc.....he might just make our OL look a little bit like NFL caliber lineman.

Garrett would have to draw up plays similiar to the way New Orleans utilizes Sproles--honestly, we need to take this player and roll the dice! :starspin

Do you believe this is a STUPID Idea?
  2. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I like strength on the o-line vs. mobility.

Yes, the mobile o-lines of Houston and Washington did great things this year. But the 49ers and Ravens essentially rode their o-lines to the superbowl. Those were big strong o-lines that moved the line of scrimmage where they wanted it to go.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    Sounds like a question for a poll.
  4. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

772 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I think weapons on offense, especially pass catchers, is not our need. Momentum changers in the trenches, both sides of the ball, was our achilles last season and needs to be addressed in a big way.

I prefer strength/brute vs. speed on the OL
  5. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,601 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    Strength by far
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I prefer consistency. Doesn't matter if it's brute strength or speed if you can't consistently deliver either.
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,327 Messages
    824 Likes Received
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,809 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
  9. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,176 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    This Austin kid has speed to burn and quick as a cat.

I dread the day we play the team he is drafted by.......this kid is the real deal and he can make our OL look much better then they actually are.....and not to mention taking short screen passes from ROMO to the house for 6!

Adding this rookie Austin with Dez ......I can only imagine how fun it will be watching this offense.
  10. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,935 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Strength but with a mean aggressive attitude......
  11. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,213 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    I dont perfer anything
  12. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,675 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I don't see how he improves the Oline. If Romo can't get the ball away, no receiver is going to succeed. And, just how long would a 170 pound receiver last in the league running crossing routes.
  13. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    As good as Tavon can be in the right offense I'd think our current offensive line would make him fairly useless as a weapon. He'll be easy enough to jam at the line of scrimmage and our poor blocking would make re-routing him an issue.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    I would never take a player that's only 5-8 1/2 174 at any position in the first round. First rounders should always be guys that have it all; size, speed, smarts.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,567 Likes Received
  16. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

866 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Go Dline.

Draft a WR in the 5th at the earliest.

Josh Boyce. Taller, runs great routes, smart football player, and is a real deep threat. Versatile WR who can play on the outside and the inside.
  17. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,604 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Interesting thought for those who are talking strictly about the Oline, if you heard Mayock and others use the phrase "converting speed into power". Slow big guys are not what the NFL is about anymore, you have to have the guys who can finish the equation of using athleticism and speed and capitalizing at the end to punctuate the speed with power.

My answer is both with speed first, translate power.
  18. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

343 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I like strength in the trenches and speed at the skill positions.
  19. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,604 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Not going to lie, I would be pretty happy to get Austin, we can draft smart in this draft and still come away with good Oline picks.
  20. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Don't need to be big to be a force, at least in the secondary. Momentum = mass * velocity after all. That's why you see small fast guys like Whitner being big hitters. Think I'd rather go with speed esp. on D given the prevalence of athletic QB's who can throw out of the pocket and break long runs out of the read-option, plus teams using the spread and multiple WR's. DB's and LB's have more ground to cover against that formation.