1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Zoners: Nice article about our Rookie Wr

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, May 18, 2012.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I thought some of you would really like this article.:starspin

http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1366677

Jason Stamm
    HokieHaven.com Publisher

Related Links:

VT Still Working On Three-Star WR
    Did Hokies Make CB's Top 2?
    'Like' Us On Facebook
    Talk about it in The Gobbler
    Virginia Tech senior wide receiver Danny Coale wasn't at the top of the wide receiver class in this year's NFL Draft.

But even while top wideouts like Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon and Notre Dame's Michael Floyd were taken in the first round, one team was among those keeping a close eye on Coale.

The Dallas Cowboys had been watching Coale's progress for months. With the 17th pick of the fifth round, No. 152 overall, the Cowboys selected Coale, the Hokies' sure-handed wideout.

Associated Press

O'Quinn said Coale has had a nice transition to the NFL thus far.
    "We study several receivers and as coaches, we have between 20-30 guys to look at," Dallas wide receivers coach Keith O'Quinn said. "We probably figured that if we did take a receiver, it would be around that mid-round spot. We certainly thought Danny had value in that range. We weren't gonna take a Justin Blackmon at an early pick, but where we thought about taking a receiver, he was ranked high. Everyone liked what they saw from Danny and we're happy with having the opportunity to take him and him being a part of our organization."
  2. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,700 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    I hope Coale is the long term answer at third receiver. Except Laurent, we haven't had a reliable third guy since Crayton left.
  3. elcowboi

elcowboi Member

826 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I'm not familiar with O'Quinn. I didn't even know had a coach named O'Quinn. I feel dumb. Lol.
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I'm with you. When did Keith O'Quinn become the Cowboys' WR coach?
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,950 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    On the Cowboys website they list Keith O'Quinn as Offensive Quality Control / Wide Receivers
  6. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just for the sake of providing some background info on O'Quinn, for those that may want to know more about him:

Coach/Executive Bios

[IMG]
    Keith O'Quinn

POSITION: Off. Quality Control/ Wide Receivers
    COLLEGE: North Texas
    NFL EXP: 2nd Year
    COWBOYS EXP: 2nd Year

Keith O'Quinn rejoined the Dallas Cowboys in 2010, but this time as a coach after previously serving as a pro scout with the team for three seasons. As a quality control/offensive assistant coach in 2010, O'Quinn assisted the Cowboys offensive staff in breaking down film of upcoming opponents' defenses and helping compose each week's playbooks. In 2011, O'Quinn will continue to prepare the weekly playbooks, but will work closely with the wide receivers and new wide receivers coach, Jimmy Robinson.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_biosCoachExec.cfm?newName=Keith_OQuinn
  7. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the post, Crazy Cowboy. Coale has got it, I suspect, whatever it is..
    :)
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,148 Messages
    2,749 Likes Received
    Can't wait to see this kid in preseason.
  9. HoyaParanoya

HoyaParanoya New Member

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I get a sense that Dez and Austin are not very reliable when it comes to route running and being where they're supposed to be at any given time. I also get a sense that Robinson was and that's why he and Romo were so successful together. Hopefully Coale is the route runner they say he is because Romo will trust and get him the ball.
  10. pgreptom

pgreptom Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Not to attack you or anything, but you obviously have not watched Miles Austin play with Romo. I can understand why you would say that about Dez - but Miles.. really??? Come on man. That's just ridiculous.

35 games started - 211 catches, 3,294 yards, 28 touchdowns.. that only averages 6 catches per game, 94 yards, and almost 1 td per game.
  11. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Austin is very reliable route runner so not sure why you included his name.
  12. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

828 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    He is just not reliable, but a precise route runner and this has been mentioned by the coaches and Romo numerous times!
  13. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,551 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Route-running is not one of Austin's problems. His hands and health are.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,357 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I think this was my favorite pick of the draft.
  15. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    "No one has jumped out and grabbed it at this point," O'Quinn said. "We're looking at that in OTAs, for some guys to emerge. I would say that Danny is certainly in contention for that. He's just a young guy and it's early. A lot of it is what they can learn. They have to be able to come in and grasp the offense. A lot of times, they have the physical tools, but mentally they're not ready. But we'll see."

I think we had a couple of those guys on the roster last year. Sounds like their upping the job requirements.