“Over the hump”

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I keep seeing this phrase in regards to the cowboys- “Why can’t we get over the hump” and while I understand the point and I know the excitement given our 7-2 start the truth is ; The cowboys aren’t even on the hump. last year we were horrible and the previous season we were 8-8.

baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City and of course the gold standard with brady ; New England. These are teams that continuously either win their division or are in the playoffs. The more frequently you are in the playoffs the more cracks you have at a Lombardi. The more cracks you have in the playoffs the better your odds are that one of these years you get hot run the table and are crowned nfl champions.

that’s getting over the hump. For the cowboys while it’s always the expectation of super bowl or bust we know the reality is for the last nearly 30 years that’s just not true. The focus should be building a winning culture and program under MM that’s consistently in the playoffs and or winning the division. Sustained success and more cracks at the apple.

A team coming out of nowhere and winning it all is typically not normal and usually you see it building for a few years. While I won’t say we can’t win it all this year as I’m an optimist and am rooting hard for it - the likelihood is we won’t. We have an extremely talented young team however and we can start that climb now and hopefully reap the benefits of it over the next few years.

just some perspective as we play out these next 6 games and head into the playoffs. If we don’t win a super bowl it’ll suck but how we respond moving forward will be equally important.

Last edited:

CowboyFFan

Reaction score
Cant win in the NFL without an elite coach. Tomlin, Belichick, McVay, Shanahan, LaFlauer, etc. Cowboys have had mediocre yes man as coaches for the last 30 years

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I keep seeing this phrase in regards to the cowboys- “Why can’t we get over the hump” and while I understand the point and I know the excitement given our 7-2 start the truth is ; The cowboys aren’t even on the hump. last year we were horrible and the previous season we were 8-8.

baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City and of course the gold standard with brady ; New England. These are teams that continuously either win their division or are in the playoffs. The more frequently you are in the playoffs the more cracks you have at a Lombardi. The more cracks you have in the playoffs the better your odds are that one of these years you get hot run the table and are crowned nfl champions.

that’s getting over the hump. For the cowboys while it’s always the expectation of super bowl or bust we know the reality is for the last nearly 30 years that’s just not true. The focus should be building a winning culture and program under MM that’s consistently in the playoffs and or winning the division. Sustained success and more cracks at the apple.

A team coming out of nowhere and winning it all is typically not normal and usually you see it building for a few years. While I won’t say we can’t win it all this year as I’m an optimist and am rooting hard for it - the likelihood is we won’t. We have an extremely talented young team however and we can start that climb now and hopefully reap the benefits of it over the next few years.

just some perspective as we play out these next 6 games and head into the playoffs. If we don’t win a super bowl it’ll suck but how we respond moving forward will be equally important.

I completely disagree that you see it building for years. That’s not the NFL I’ve watched for the last 15 - 20!years.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Cant win in the NFL without an elite coach. Tomlin, Belichick, McVay, Shanahan, LaFlauer, etc. Cowboys have had mediocre yes man as coaches for the last 30 years

while I agree with your point and am skeptical about big Mike- i think we still owe it to him to see 1) how this season plays out and 2) if this year doesn’t go how we want in terms of super bowl or a deep run how he responds next season. While MM clearly has management flaws he’s still accomplished more than lafleur (who also has Rodgers)or Mcvay.

now I’m not saying he’s as good of a mind as those guys as he’s much older I still think his overall grade here in Dallas is TBD

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I completely disagree that you see it building for years. That’s not the NFL I’ve watched for the last 15 - 20!years.

name me a team that comes out of nowhere and wins the super bowl. Parity? Sure. Playoff runs? Sure. Name me the super bowl champion that just came completely out of left field and win it. I’d like to be educated. Typically it’s either a team that’s been bad a few years and has had some high draft picks who suddenly put it together or a team with talent that makes a coaching change in terms of surprise teams.

you can have parity in the nfl- it’s what makes it great but that’s not the same as what I’m saying but I’ll wait for you to name those teams. The closest is the teams I mentioned or a team like the bucs who signed the greatest qb of all time.

CowboyFFan

Reaction score
while I agree with your point and am skeptical about big Mike- i think we still owe it to him to see 1) how this season plays out and 2) if this year doesn’t go how we want in terms of super bowl or a deep run how he responds next season. While MM clearly has management flaws he’s still accomplished more than lafleur (who also has Rodgers)or Mcvay.

now I’m not saying he’s as good of a mind as those guys as he’s much older I still think his overall grade here in Dallas is TBD
McMcarthy is plainly an idiot flat and simple. If one of the best QBs of all time tells the world how that you dont know football, you dont hire that guy as your head coach the second he is fired. This organization kept Garrett for 10 years so its not surprising and I expect McCarthy to stick around for a decade when another group of players and coaches come in we all repeat the same song and dance.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
McMcarthy is plainly an idiot flat and simple. If one of the best QBs of all time tells the world how that you dont know football, you dont hire that guy as your head coach the second he is fired. This organization kept Garrett for 10 years so its not surprising and I expect McCarthy to stick around for a decade when another group of players and coaches come in we all repeat the same song and dance.

If the cowboys didn’t hire a coach they liked because they listened to the opinion of someone who said something in the moment or in his feelings over an old coach. I’d be even more worried.

blueblood70

Reaction score
shanahan has losing record in all seasons besides the sb year LOSS..

tomlin hasnt sniffed sb since 2011 and pretty sure he lost to one MM...

was Pederson an elite coach, no he wasnt..

somehow you left out Reid, Harbaugh, and Pete carroll?

his record is below 500 with the 9ers so hes better then MM you are high! Mcvey nice but dude lost a sb and while good most years still no ring, laflauer no rings..if he dos get one its with the same guy that got MM one, that not impressive or both are elite coaches, cant have it both ways.. Dan quinn got to sb and lost but hes not on the list with the other SB losers you listed?

those coaches had one thing in common try have or have had elite QBS to win a sb...MM also has a ring and few championship games..

so somehow a list full of holes ie coaches with no rings and some with losing records are better then MM with a ring and skins on the wall..then you leave out some better coaches..

terrible post..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Only one idiot in this thread and im replying to him now..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
shanahan has losing record in all seasons besides the sb year LOSS..

tomlin hasnt sniffed sb since 2011 and pretty sure he lost to one MM...

was Pederson an elite coach, no he wasnt..

somehow you left out Reid, Harbaugh, and Pete carroll?

his record is below 500 with the 9ers so hes better then MM you are high! Mcvey nice but dude lost a sb and while good most years still no ring, laflauer no rings..if he dos get one its with the same guy that got MM one, that not impressive or both are elite coaches, cant have it both ways.. Dan quinn got to sb and lost but hes not on the list with the other SB losers you listed?

those coaches had one thing in common try have or have had elite QBS to win a sb...MM also has a ring and few championship games..

so somehow a list full of holes ie coaches with no rings and some with losing records are better then MM with a ring and skins on the wall..then you leave out some better coaches..

terrible post..

I maintain that MM was overrated in Green Bay and now is underrated here. I think he’s a good coach, not a great one. He clearly has time management issues there’s no debate there. Andy Reid is tiers above MM to me but he was also a coach who was maligned and killed for his clock management.

I think MM game plans right, motivates right and deligates right but is still flawed and not an elite coach but more than capable but again that’s TBD.

cowboynut

Reaction score

I don’t think McCarthy will last 10 years because Jerry wants the next worst thing in a coach in Moore.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I maintain that MM was overrated in Green Bay and now is underrated here. I think he’s a good coach, not a great one. He clearly has time management issues there’s no debate there. Andy Reid is tiers above MM to me but he was also a coach who was maligned and killed for his clock management.

I think MM game plans right, motivates right and deligates right but is still flawed and not an elite coach but more than capable but again that’s TBD.

I say your opinions are vastly overrated, so we are even,,those listed up there have done nothing special of late and some not at all other then BillB and the old tomlin teams many left out like i said..

Mcvey
Lafluer
shannahn

ALL vastly overrated they have NOT done a single special thing that makes them better then MM..like i said DQ made it to SB and lost and Pederson won one, so all at least on that level ..they are overrated..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I say your opinions are vastly overrated, so we are even,,those listed up there have done nothing special of late and some not at all other then BillB and the old tomlin teams many left out like i said..

Mcvey
Lafluer
shannahn

ALL vastly overrated they have NOT done a single special thing that makes them better then MM..like i said DQ made it to SB and lost and Pederson won one, so all at least on that level ..they are overrated..

i didn’t mention those coaches. In fact I said MM did more with Rodgers than lafluer so im confused lol. I’m agreeing with you actually. That was the other poster.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i didn’t mention those coaches. In fact I said MM did more with Rodgers than lafluer so im confused lol
in my reply you replied to that i replied to the OP in this thread. Dudes call them elite i say they are not..if they are elite then MM is as well is all im saying..