'08 WR roster stuff

slotshot

Reaction score
Between Johnson, Berrrian and Stallworth (who will have to be released unless he takes a huge paycut with the Patriots), we have a very nice chance of locking up a fast, relatively young reciever. I would also willingly give up a #1 pick for Fitzgerald, but would not so readily do so for R. Williams. We still have a nice developmental guy in Stanback, who might even press for #3 by the middle or end of the season.

I just think that drafting recievers high is just too risky, unless they are a real man-beast like Calvin Johnson (and those "sure" players tend to go very high). This would also let us apply those 2 #1s to a CB and best player available.

Finally, does anyone really think Terry Glenn will be back next year...not I.

...Side Topic... Isn't it odd that we dont talk a lot about Bryant Johnson in these discussions. I guess he doesn't have a huge body of pro work to look at.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Stallworth would not be a bad choice there. Chad Johnson will remain with the Bengals. Berriman, not so sure. Fast yes, but not that great of a receiver. Personally, I'd like to see a trade made to get Fitzgerald, but it most likely won't happen. The bottom line is we HAVE to either draft or sign a receiver with speed that can stretch the field. That and an upgrade at corner are our biggest needs. We also have to draft a fast RB to take JJ's place. The good thing is that this year's draft is absolutely full of very good backs. Also pretty deep with good corners.

Woods

Reaction score
What do you guys think of J Gage (Tenn) and Hackett (Sea) as possibly cheaper alternatives?

I think both of those two guys are pretty young as well.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
slotshot;1912772 said:
Between Johnson, Berrrian and Stallworth (who will have to be released unless he takes a huge paycut with the Patriots), we have a very nice chance of locking up a fast, relatively young reciever. I would also willingly give up a #1 pick for Fitzgerald, but would not so readily do so for R. Williams. We still have a nice developmental guy in Stanback, who might even press for #3 by the middle or end of the season.

I just think that drafting recievers high is just too risky, unless they are a real man-beast like Calvin Johnson (and those "sure" players tend to go very high). This would also let us apply those 2 #1s to a CB and best player available.

...Side Topic... Isn't it odd that we dont talk a lot about Bryant Johnson in these discussions. I guess he doesn't have a huge body of pro work to look at.

I'd be interested in Bryant Johnson - big, fast, strong, decent hands, tough to bring down plus he'll only be 27 when the season starts. I bet he's just itching to move beyond 3rd-WR status for some team.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;1913030 said:
I'd be interested in Bryant Johnson - big, fast, strong, decent hands, tough to bring down plus he'll only be 27 when the season starts. I bet he's just itching to move beyond 3rd-WR status for some team.

I agree, Johnson has been my quiet favorite for some time.

rebelations

Reaction score
Slotshot, why don't you just worry about your own business, dirtbag?! Just kidding, bro. Kiss the kids for me and tell them Uncle T misses them.

Oh, and BTW, I agree on getting a FA WR like Fitz or Berrian, that would be good stuff.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
slotshot;1912772 said:

Probably a long shot and the scenerio will likely not work out but a guy I'd like to see Dallas bring in (still) is Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR (Raiders).

He didn't do much for them this year. IMO, he was very much under- and mis-used in Oakland. He's a speed guy with solid hands. He's no #2 WR, but could be a solid #3. In college he frequently took quick out passes from the QB or ran routes across the middle (taking some huge hits and getting up).

He's also a good kick-returner. Again, his 07 stats don't do his potential justice. If by chance Oakland releases him, I'd love to see Dallas take a chance on him.

sago1

Reaction score
I'd like to see some stats on Johnson. If he's a FA this year, there should be enough game film on him for the coaching staff to determine if he a legit #2 WR whose got the speed, hands & can run good routes. Wonder if the Cards will make an effort to sign him. If he's as good as some think, you are right he should be desperate to get out of Arizona and certainly the Cowboys with a great young QB in Romo should look very attractice to him.

As for Glenn, I'd give him every chance and certainly not cut him but really doubt he will be wearing a Cowboy uniform in 08 which would save us about $4.5M in cap money.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i'd love fitz, but i doubt arizona would let him go. I say we draft a wr, we could use a young guy with upside at the position

utrunner07

Reaction score
TO, Williams, Stanbeck, Austin..................tackling dumbing ..............Crayton

mmillman

Reaction score
Berrian would be a good addition at a reasonable price. Berrian has suffered in Chicago due to poor qb play. Having said that Roy Williams from Detroit might flourish outside of the Detroit system. He could come here knowing that he won't see many double teams and that eventually he will be the guy.