10 Shows That Wouldn't Exist Without Buffy The Vampire Slayer

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophen...ouldnt-exist-without-buffy-the-vampire-slayer

This article was written last spring but I thought the author made some good points about certain television shows that were strongly influenced by one of my all-time favorite series. Here are the ten shows listed in the article:

1. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  2. Doctor Who
  3. UnREAL
  4. Spaced
  5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  6. Being Human
  7. Orange is the New Black
  8. Orphan Black
  9. The Flash
  10. Crazyhead

Obviously, the Doctor Who explanation is a slight stretch but I believe Kat Sommers makes a good point. I have found myself reminiscing on BTVS while I watched several of the shows on Sommers' list--although I have not watched UnREAL, Spaced or Crazyhead yet.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes the Doctor Who thing is a stretch.

With that said...I never watched BTVS

Of the shows on that list, Not named Doctor Who...I liked Being Human (english and american versions) and the only other one I have watched on it was The Flash and I just don't care for the the DC shows on the CW network.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes the Doctor Who thing is a stretch.

With that said...I never watched BTVS

Of the shows on that list, Not named Doctor Who...I liked Being Human (english and american versions) and the only other one I have watched on it was The Flash and I just don't care for the the DC shows on the CW network.
Some will disagree but I think The Flash is the best of the The CW superhero shows. That said, I have not watched much of Supergirl since the show was regulated to CBS's sister network. It had some very good moments on the major network. Arrow is a fine show but I think the show takes a lot of liberties with the Oliver Queen character. Legends of Tomorrow? No comment. /mini-rant

[EDIT] The article's Doctor Who excerpted explanation:
Now, wait — hear us out. Obviously our trusty Timelord predates Buffy by a number of decades, let alone years, but its current revival began in 2005, just two years after the Scooby Gang faded from our screens. Showrunner Russell T. Davies even told The A.V. Club in 2009 that he had Buffy in mind as a blueprint, while Anthony Stewart Head, a Buffy series regular and Doctor Who guest star, told the Radio Times Buffy’s influence ensured the DW revival was more emotionally complex. And if you squint, there’s something distinctly Buffy-like to Rose in this early trailer:

Last edited:

Them

Reaction score
..."Doctor Who" was created in 1963...during it's first TV airing U.S. president JFK was assassinated ...so basically the show was a flop for the first female
director in Britain at that time....She fought for a 2nd airing and won...The show became a hit!...:cool:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophen...ouldnt-exist-without-buffy-the-vampire-slayer

This article was written last spring but I thought the author made some good points about certain television shows that were strongly influenced by one of my all-time favorite series. Here are the ten shows listed in the article:

1. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  2. Doctor Who
  3. UnREAL
  4. Spaced
  5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  6. Being Human
  7. Orange is the New Black
  8. Orphan Black
  9. The Flash
  10. Crazyhead

Obviously, the Doctor Who explanation is a slight stretch but I believe Kat Sommers makes a good point. I have found myself reminiscing on BTVS while I watched several of the shows on Sommers' list--although I have not watched UnREAL, Spaced or Crazyhead yet.
Every one of those is a stretch! It's not like that was the one and only chance the people involved with it had in their careers for success and if it didn't exist, we would have never known them.

Even beyond the "people" angle, the most obvious TV show that wouldn't exist without BTVS is Angel, which was a direct spinoff.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every one of those is a stretch! It's not like that was the one and only chance the people involved with it had in their careers for success and if it didn't exist, we would have never known them.

Even beyond the "people" angle, the most obvious TV show that wouldn't exist without BTVS is Angel, which was a direct spinoff.
The article's title is too literal and incorrect. The writer points out post-BTVS influence on the the shows examined. I believe Sommers was shooting for connecting describable BTVS effects upon non-Buffy series and excluded an example of a spinoff based virtually and almost completely upon the same theme.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article's title is too literal and incorrect. The writer points out post-BTVS influence on the the shows examined. I believe Sommers was shooting for connecting describable BTVS effects upon non-Buffy series and excluded an example of a spinoff based virtually and almost completely upon the same theme.
But I'm a very literal person and .. this .. does .. not .. compute .. :D