10 toughest coaching jobs in sports (Cowboys #8)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1717091 said:
Alabama OVER the Yankees ? I disagree. They are in one of the biggest media hubs in the world. Same as your reasoning for the Giants.

Since no one has succeeded in Arizona how much pressure could there be ?

I agree the Tide certainly could deserve a spot among avid sports fans, but not the general public or media in a lot of instances.

I agree Yankees earned the top spot. How many times did Billy Martin get fired? :laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mavs Man;1716948 said:
But was chasing off high-powered coaches like Johnson
When are people going to understand it was Johnson who quit and not Jones who chased him off?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1717108 said:
When are people going to understand it was Johnson who quit and not Jones who chased him off?

I agree. Jimmy Johnson entire coaching career consistent of 5 or less year stints I don't think Jimmy would ever be happy in one place for long. When he got hired by the Dolphins as HC and GM I told some Miami fans not to expect more than 5 seasons and I was correct Jimmy left after 5 season with the Dolphins. I think his style of coaching while effective can wear on a team and I think Jimmy knows this.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score

That's bad, but suggesting that Jones chased off Parcells, too, is even worse.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I say Montreal Canadiens over Toronto Maple Leafs. There is as much press in Toronto but it is all in one language. In Montreal, the French press complains you aren't playing enough French guys and the English press complains that you cater to the French press too much.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1716948 said:
10 toughest coaching jobs in sports

1. Yankees

This franchise accumulates superstars (and super egos) without much regard for how the pieces fit together. The Yankee Way is to latch onto the Next New Thing at any cost.

Despite having Derek Jeter at shortstop, Steinbrenner and his people just had to get Alex Rodriguez, too. Sure, A-Rod had to move to third base and cope with Jeter's enormous popularity. Joe Torre's job was to make all that work.

When the Yankees just had to bring Roger Clemens out of his latest retirement, Torre had to accommodate his laundry list of special needs. Somehow, some way, Torre maintained order in the clubhouse year after year after year.

He won four World Championships and six American League pennants. But Torre last won the World Series in 2000, so Boss George let him go.

No wonder Yankees coach Don Mattingly seemed wary of the job.

"It's like following John Wooden or something," he told the Associated Press. "This guy wins championship after championship and we're in the playoffs in every year. You know . . . it's pretty much a no-win situation for someone coming in here to be able to live up to the expectations or live up to what he did. It's not going to happen. So as far as someone coming in and taking over this job, it's not a good, you know — it's not necessarily a great situation."

8. Dallas Cowboys

When the Cowboys rallied miraculously Monday night at Buffalo, cameras followed Jerry Jones' every reaction. He is the show in Big D, more than temperamental receiver Terrell Owens or mercurial quarterback Tony Romo.

Jones is the NFL's best owner, a visionary marketer and a driving force in the NFL's modernization. He also considers himself a football man, which creates obvious problems for his coaches.

Barry Switzer dealt with that phenomenon better than Jimmy Johnson did. Wade Phillips should cope better than Bill Parcells did.

"The perception was that when Bill came in, there were fewer decisions that I would make," Jones told the Dallas Morning News. "That was not true. The perception is that there will be more being made now. That's not true, either. Wade could very easily have as much influence on what player we keep or don't keep or draft as Bill did."

But was chasing off high-powered coaches like Johnson and Parcells any way to build an on-field dynasty to match his astonishing business success?

One way where George and Jerry differ is:

George will only get noisy, involved when the results are not a win, a championship. Torre won World Series and was rewarded and made to stay on.

Jerry kicked Jimmy out after winning back to back SuperBowls. He definitely cost us atleast one SB.

Jerry could learn a thing or two from the Old man in the Bronx.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Jerry threatened him with being replaced by Barry Switzer and Johnson quit.

AtlCB

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1717091 said:
Alabama OVER the Yankees ? I disagree. They are in one of the biggest media hubs in the world. Same as your reasoning for the Giants.

Since no one has succeeded in Arizona how much pressure could there be ?

I agree the Tide certainly could deserve a spot among avid sports fans, but not the general public or media in a lot of instances.

The media in New York appeared to be a little upset when Torre was fired. In Alabama, the coach is villified whenever he doesn't win a national championship. The rednecks in Tuscaloosa eat, drink, and breathe college football.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
"But was chasing off high-powered coaches like Johnson and Parcells any way to build an on-field dynasty to match his astonishing business success?"

This kind of stuff ticks me off more than it should. I need to just except that this idea, the belief that "Jones is a meddeling owner who ran off not one but two successful coaches so he can play FF GM" will never die.
Its too good a storyline. Makes no difference if its true.
The media in all its forms will simply repeat it over and over and over and over and over again until they make it true.

Even in an article like this thats really not meant to be all that anti-Jones. It's repeated again as a simple trueism. Jerry's a great owner, did this well and that well, good marketer. If he could only keep from canning good coaches!

Shoot, who am fooling they've already done it. They have made it fact!

In 50 years when the topic of the Dallas Cowboys at the turn of century is discussed. All that will be remembered is that silly owner who fired two HOF coaches.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1717159 said:
Jerry threatened him with being replaced by Barry Switzer and Johnson quit.

And Jimmy snubbed Jerry at the owners meeting before Jerry made his comments. Both men played a part in this and Jimmy knew what cords to strike on Jerry to cause this reaction by Jones

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kØwbØy;1717339 said:
talking yankees, isnt A-Rod possibly leaving NY?

This is my issues. I want him to leave NY to free up the $21M Texas will owe him. On the other hand, I want him to stay because as long as A-Rod is one a team, it will NEVER win a world championship. If A-Rod's a Yankee, it serves a purpose for me. ;)

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
kØwbØy;1717339 said:
talking yankees, isnt A-Rod possibly leaving NY?

He and Boras have said they will be seeking a new contract. And the Yankees have said that if he does seek a new contract, they will not look to re-sign him. But who knows when it comes to the Yankees.

As a Ranger fan, I sure hope he leaves so he can finally get off the payroll.

thekavorka

Reaction score
dallas_112678;1717011 said:
This should called the top 10 hardest coaching jobs in AMERICA, because over in Europe, soccer is incredibly big and has alot of pressure there on the coaches.

yeah, seriously. See Jose Mourinho for example.

all of the top club teams in europe have more pressure than the yankees