105 Y.O. film of SF street scene.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Just ran across this film of San Francisco's Market Street four days before the great earthquake, filmed from a camera fixed to the front of a cable car.

Couldn't find any record of it having shown up here before, and I am sure some of the history buffs will find it pretty interesting if they haven't seen it previously.

[youtube]pnDjmNNC9So[/youtube]

burmafrd

Reaction score
Interesting the way people just casually walked right in front and pulled right in front cars and carts and such. Bad driving even 105 years ago

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Caution: Stumbling drunk man @ 5:25. Get the hell out of the way of the trolley, idiot. :laugh1:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd;3890445 said:
Interesting the way people just casually walked right in front and pulled right in front cars and carts and such. Bad driving even 105 years ago

Fast forward to any Walmart, anywhere in America and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

There is no hope for us.

arglebargle

Reaction score
burmafrd;3890445 said:

Bad driving/walking but not illegal, as there were no driving rules!

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
burmafrd;3890445 said:
Interesting the way people just casually walked right in front and pulled right in front cars and carts and such.

They still do this in downtown atlanta

burmafrd

Reaction score
nothing has changed at all despite all the government laws and rules and safety messages.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Everyone in that video is dead.

One day, we'll all be dead as well.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3891161 said:
Everyone in that video is dead.

One day, we'll all be dead as well.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

My grandmother is 90 and she wasn't born until an entire decade (1920) after that movie was made.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
nyc;3890393 said:
If you were smart, you would have just road the trolley. :muttley:

if he were smart he'd have rode the trolley, or better yet ridden it ;)

Wolfpack

Reaction score
daschoo;3891202 said:
if he were smart he'd have rode the trolley, or better yet ridden it ;)

Actually I walked it once each way in order to photograph most of the buildings. I've found that you really can't experience a cool place if you are in a car or bus the whole time.

I did ride the F line on Market however and love the 40's era trains on that line, they are really beautiful streamline era cars.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Wolfpack;3891243 said:
Actually I walked it once each way in order to photograph most of the buildings. I've found that you really can't experience a cool place if you are in a car or bus the whole time.

I did ride the F line on Market however and love the 40's era trains on that line, they are really beautiful streamline era cars.

Sounds like you and your boyfriend had a pleasant time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wolfpack;3891243 said:

Best way to get round SF besides walking.