11 candidates for Cowboys vacant defensive coordinator position

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a unique situation now. They are going to have to find a new defensive coordinator after the departure of Dan Quinn. Quinn became Washington’s new head coach, and will have a playground to work with that includes $63 million in cap space and the No. 2 overall selection in a QB-heavy draft class.

That Dallas needs to replace a coordinator isn’t a big deal. The fact that their head coach is going into the final year of his contract without an extension is what makes things difficult. Defensive assistants in positive environments, or with a bunch of opportunities, might hesitate to pack up their lives (and families) for what might be a one-and-done.

Link: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-defensive-coordinator-search/

Steve Belichick​

The Hoodie’s son is well regarded among league insiders as being a potential coaching star. Perhaps Dallas looks in this direction to see if they could catch Shanahan-style lightning in a bottle, but on defense.

USATSI_22160171.jpg

https://twitter.com/KDDrummondNFL
KD Drummond
@KDDrummondNFL

All jokes aside, if Quinn is gone the Cowboys should bring Steve Belichick in to interview and have McClay see what kind of ideas he has... see if you might have a defensive Kyle Shanahan.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well there's quite a few names on that list but we've talked about most of them other than maybe 3 or 4 way outside the box thinking however if you see the other thread that was started on the topic that Dallas wants to make a home run swing for a defensive coordinator I don't know if it's gonna be one of these young guys.... Also don't think it's gonna be in house so that eliminates quite a few people I don't know what a home run swing looks like like a big name for the Dallas Cowboys but there's someone that list...

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Well there's quite a few names on that list but we've talked about most of them other than maybe 3 or 4 way outside the box thinking however if you see the other thread that was started on the topic that Dallas wants to make a home run swing for a defensive coordinator I don't know if it's gonna be one of these young guys.... Also don't think it's gonna be in house so that eliminates quite a few people I don't know what a home run swing looks like like a big name for the Dallas Cowboys but there's someone that list...
Rex Ryan? LOL

_sturt_

Reaction score
Taken in a silo, I love the idea assuming Junior is legitimately well-thought-of... b/c let's face it, if you hire the kid, daddy's going to be around and giving input constantly anyhow.

But taken in the full environment... nah... would make things very awkward, and unless they decide instead of the SB winner, they'll give the Rozelle trophy to the best team drama... not okay.

Caveat... unless it were McCarthy's own preference. Which it would never be, imo.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
How do we know that?
Jerry said it..

I know.. dont listen to Jerry..

but he is going to look like a bit of a goose if he promotes from within.. whether its for the best or not.. just wouldn't be my idea of "swinging for the fences".

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys are in a unique situation now. They are going to have to find a new defensive coordinator after the departure of Dan Quinn. Quinn became Washington’s new head coach, and will have a playground to work with that includes $63 million in cap space and the No. 2 overall selection in a QB-heavy draft class.

That Dallas needs to replace a coordinator isn’t a big deal. The fact that their head coach is going into the final year of his contract without an extension is what makes things difficult. Defensive assistants in positive environments, or with a bunch of opportunities, might hesitate to pack up their lives (and families) for what might be a one-and-done.

Link: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-defensive-coordinator-search/

Steve Belichick​

The Hoodie’s son is well regarded among league insiders as being a potential coaching star. Perhaps Dallas looks in this direction to see if they could catch Shanahan-style lightning in a bottle, but on defense.

USATSI_22160171.jpg

https://twitter.com/KDDrummondNFL
KD Drummond
@KDDrummondNFL

All jokes aside, if Quinn is gone the Cowboys should bring Steve Belichick in to interview and have McClay see what kind of ideas he has... see if you might have a defensive Kyle Shanahan.
Anybody coming off the defensive coaching tree of Belichick is worth considering,,, and this guy is young so the Einsteins that think the game of football has fundamentally changed and passed by anybody over 50 can be placated.

Gambit

Reaction score
Jerry said it..

but he is going to look like a bit of a goose if he promotes from within.. whether its for the best or not.. just wouldn't be my idea of "swinging for the fences".
Well my question was for that specific poster who said we can't trust social media, but had to in order to even hear this.

And we don't know Jerry said it. Fish, the hack, reported an anonymous official from another team said that Jerry said that. That's like 2 levels of he saids.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry said it..

He'll look like a bigger idiot hiring Zimmer or Rivera over Al Harris.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How do we know that?
Again we read and we quote the same sources dude so I'm sorry that you're mix isn't overlapping with mine but I could tell you right now why don't you go look at where Joe Witt landed this morning it wasn't in Dallas thank you very much for this one save since you've been harping on it all week and telling me how wrong I am and I bet al Harris follows him now because once you have one the other one follows but either way he's not getting the defensive coordinator job here and that pretty much leaves no one therefore we're going outside like everyone thought in the first place...

But I'm glad that you made sure you were adamant about being correct on Joe wit and you got somehow twisted up by believing everything you read on the Internet....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well my question was for that specific poster who said we can't trust social media, but had to in order to even hear this.

And we don't know Jerry said it. Fish, the hack, reported an anonymous official from another team said that Jerry said that. That's like 2 levels of he saids.
And yet I was 100% correct this time again we read through the same sources on the Internet we have it all open to us and whatever we take from that it happens but Joe Witt is now a Washington commander and you are wrong and again I only take small pieces of what I read and Jerry has said he was hoping to be all in whatever that means to him he's also said he wanted to make a statement with the hiring of a defensive coordinator and I don't think that's staying status quo... But in this case I'm glad that all night long you tried to put me down call me out and now my receipts are all being paid right now so maybe you oughta come to the understanding that we all read the same resources and take from it what we choose..

And in this case unless something crazy happens there's a report Joe Whitt is not coming here to interview Hes NOW A Washington commander but thank you very much for your adamant debate on here all week long...​

Gambit

Reaction score
And yet I was 100% correct
No you weren't. At the time you said he was gone he was not.

Funny how you only reply AFTER the hire became real. You've still not admitted you were wrong and you won't, because you are a low character person.

I know it, you know it, every other poster knows it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BB kid Steve was just hired to the Commodes staff. My bad, its Washington, but the college team. He's headed to the Huskies.

Gambit

Reaction score
Again we read and we quote the same sources dude so I'm sorry that you're mix isn't overlapping with mine but I could tell you right now why don't you go look at where Joe Witt landed this morning it wasn't in Dallas thank you very much for this one save since you've been harping on it all week and telling me how wrong I am and I bet al Harris follows him now because once you have one the other one follows but either way he's not getting the defensive coordinator job here and that pretty much leaves no one therefore we're going outside like everyone thought in the first place...

But I'm glad that you made sure you were adamant about being correct on Joe wit and you got somehow twisted up by believing everything you read on the Internet....
The point is the source never said he heard it from Jerry. He heard from some random anonymous source.

This is called heresay

Now it might be the habit of yours to just take what you hear through the telephone game as the truth. For me though, I don't. 2 levels removed from Jerry saying it and you're prepared to bet $1000 not. 2 levels removed from Jerry saying and I'm questioning the veracity of it.

And again, when I said he was scheduled to be interviewed and not yet had been hired, it was me who spoke truth and you who believed everything you heard just like with you claiming Jerry said swing for the fences.

No run along and find some character at least enough to be honest with yourself.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fish this morning said if the Jones's think swinging for the fences is hiring Zimmer, then he's ok with that. Of course he is. Problem is, under all definitions, that hire isn't swinging towards anything except a new low bar standard.