CFZ 13 Games In: What this team is and isn’t

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have plenty of evidence now to assess this 2022 Cowboys team. I certainly hope the team continues to fight hard to improve. Lord knows they have a lot of areas to improve and if we want a deep playoff run, it usually happens with teams that have become hot late in the season.

So IMO, here are the team’s strengths and weaknesses so far starting with weaknesses:
WEAKNESSES
  • Having sluggish starts, especially on offense.
  • Not much of a killer instinct as a team.
  • Too many INTs from Dak; something he used to not do nearly as much.
  • WRs running too many lazy, un-precise routes, causing some of the INTs.
  • Vulnerable against the run, especially on the edges and against QBs who can run.
  • Secondary has two of its best corners out for the season and their best corner has a banged up hand. Backup corners are suspect.
  • OL is banged up with Terrance Steele out for the season.
  • 80 yr old GM who never shuts up and undermines his coaches.
  • 27 year old monkey on their backs.
STRENGTHS
  • Micah Parsons, when healthy, best defensive player in NFL.
  • Best pass rush in the league.
  • Defense can force turnovers in bunches at times.
  • Running game with Pollard and Zeke is solid.
  • Pollard is a weapon that can break a huge play at any moment. Best weapon we have.
  • When Dak runs and moves well in the pocket he’s at his best.
  • Cedee Lamb can be outstanding in the slot, making it easier to get favorable matchups.
  • Coach Mac has always been good at managing injuries as we saw earlier in season. He will need to do that again with latest rash of injuries.
  • Team has confidence that it can win against anyone.
I’m sure I missed a bunch in both categories. What would you add?

links18

Reaction score
We have plenty of evidence now to assess this 2022 Cowboys team. I certainly hope the team continues to fight hard to improve. Lord knows they have a lot of areas to improve and if we want a deep playoff run, it usually happens with teams that have become hot late in the season.

So IMO, here are the team’s strengths and weaknesses so far starting with weaknesses:
WEAKNESSES
  • Vulnerable against the run, especially on the edges and against QBs who can run.
  • Secondary has two of its best corners out for the season and their best corner has a banged up hand. Backup corners are suspect.
STRENGTHS
  • Pollard is a weapon that can break a huge play at any moment. Best weapon we have.
  • Cedee Lamb can be outstanding in the slot, making it easier to get favorable matchups.
  • Coach Mac has always been good at managing injuries as we saw earlier in season. He will need to do that again with latest rash of injuries.

Is the coaching a strength or a weakness?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

WEAKNESSES
STRENGTHS
The lack of Killer Instinct jumps out to me.
They should have gotten on top on the Texans early and put them to bed.
Same against the Colts.
They play down to the competetion instead of imposing their will on them.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lack of talent at WR is a killer when we struggle running the ball IMO. Outside of Lamb I don’t trust anyone to be able to win 1:1 and finish.

Believe we had 4 drops yesterday. 1 led to a pick and 1 was in the endzone that would’ve been a huge TD.

Dak was average yesterday, but it doesn’t help that our pass O is easy to defend due to a lack of talent.

Macnalty

Reaction score
You just need to just get in the dance and I think the current configuration will be there.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The weakness of the conference and the fact that we got the AFC South this year has skewed our record. We don’t look any better than we did last December and we’re probably looking at the same result in January.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This team is what it has been for years until proven otherwise in the postseason. Flashes of brilliance, but enough breakdowns to fall short in the end.

Exactly...........this team is just like last year's team, good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to make a run.

Since we will almost certainly be the 5th seed barring a collapse from the Eagles, we will have to win 3 consecutive road games to reach the Super Bowl. Does anybody seriously believe that is going to happen?

Keep in mind our last road playoff win was 1992 at San Fran, so yeah, we are talking 30 years.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

WEAKNESSES
STRENGTHS
I am a lifelong fan, so while I am loving the regular season "good feelings" that come with being 10 - 3. I have been a "wake me up" when the playoffs kind of fan over the last 10 years. This team can beat the teams it is supposed to beat, I appreciate and respect that. But do we have the front office, coaching staff and roster to win 4 straight games in a single postseason run? That is always my question. And in spite of our great record, I think the answer to that question was and still is NO. Why? Because of one of the points you made: Vulnerable against the run, especially on the edges and against QBs who can run.

That point has Jalen Hurts written all over it.

Another point I don't think you made I will make.... PHYSICALITY. That is the culture at a place like the 49ers. Which is why there brand of football is sustainable no matter who is under center.

But back to the Eagles. The maturation of Jalen Hurts allows them to toy with defenses. Then they add a physical, dominant WR like AJ Brown and that will make that offense tough to stop, especially with a dual threat QB. Also, they saw what we were doing with our run game, so they went and added two interior DL. That was the Eagles announcing to the Cowboys that you are not going to run on us, so you better get Dak ready to beat us. And we simply do not have a WR like Dez, where I know you are covered, but I am going to throw it to you anyway and I EXPECT you to out physical the defender for the ball. OBJ would not have fixed this dilemma either. You need that especially when your offense does not SCHEME people open. How many INTs has Dak thrown where the WR did not fight for the ball? You can argue he should not have thrown it, but with Irvin and Dez....it was either they were going to catch it, or no one was going to catch it...and we do not have anyone on this roster like that

I love the Cowboys, I am ENJOYING the ride. But on defense...we simply are not physical enough to make a long postseason run.

Last edited:

JBond

Reaction score
Does Parsons look tired to anyone else? Maybe running him into 330lb people every play isn't the best idea. Letting him roam and pick his attack might be a better plan. He is a LB.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lack of talent at WR is a killer when we struggle running the ball IMO. Outside of Lamb I don’t trust anyone to be able to win 1:1 and finish.

Believe we had 4 drops yesterday. 1 led to a pick and 1 was in the endzone that would’ve been a huge TD.

Dak was average yesterday, but it doesn’t help that our pass O is easy to defend due to a lack of talent.
Are you talking about Gallops hit in the end zone? He got drilled! That was not a drop! That was a forced incompletion.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

WEAKNESSES
STRENGTHS
llll
Id i’d love for an explanation of Jones undermines his coaches that were I would agree with. But this debate has been had countless Times. I’ve never heard any coach of the Dallas Cowboys after they left the Cowboys make any such comments. Not even Bill Parcells ever said that and he was notorious for control.
I do agree with most of your post and you’re a knowledgeable poster

DanA

Reaction score
Great OP.

On the negative side I would add reliance on youth. That can be a detriment and on the big stage.

On the positive side I would add safety play. I think they’ve been tremendous, all of them (Wilson, Kearse, Hooker, Mukuamu). Diggs’ ability to travel and lockdown a no.1 reciever is also a strength to the point I am not worried about any no.1 WR in the league. No.2 receivers on the other hand…..

plymkr

Reaction score

WEAKNESSES
STRENGTHS
One thing I would add to your list of strengths is rookies performance. This team has several rookies, especially on defense, that are coming into their own. That helps this year but is really encouraging for the next 1-3 years. I feel this season is the first season of a 4 year window for us to get a Championship. Basing that off of the draft the last two years. Moving forward into next year we need a solid #2 outside CB and a solid RT depending on Steele's future.

I feel we have a shot this year, albeit a small one, but the next 3 years is more realistic. If we don't win a super bowl in one of these 4 years then it's never going to happen IMHO. Unless we completely luck out and draft a Tom Brady type QB.