18 Years Since NFC East Had Repeat Champs?

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Was kinda floored when they announced that during the 4th quarter of the Washington game today, when it was clear that Dallas was going to win and the Eagles would lose to the Giants.

Of the 4 teams in the division, we haven't had anybody dominate the way other teams are dominating their own divisions. Like, say the Chiefs, who I think just won their division for the 8th year in a row.

So the last 18 years the NFC East title has switched back and forth every year between Dallas, NY and Philly. Not sure the last time Washington won it, but its been awhile for that team.

Wouldn't the fact no team has been able to dominate the division the last 18 years mean the NFC is one of the best division in the league? One year its us, the next year it's the Giants, then the Eagles take their turn, then back to Dallas...

BTW I was kind of surprised at the Giant's collapse this year. Was hoping we'd have another year of the NFC East sending THREE teams into the playoffs.

adamknite

Reaction score
Was kinda floored when they announced that during the 4th quarter of the Washington game today, when it was clear that Dallas was going to win and the Eagles would lose to the Giants.

Of the 4 teams in the division, we haven't had anybody dominate the way other teams are dominating their own divisions. Like, say the Chiefs, who I think just won their division for the 8th year in a row.

So the last 18 years the NFC East title has switched back and forth every year between Dallas, NY and Philly. Not sure the last time Washington won it, but its been awhile for that team.

Wouldn't the fact no team has been able to dominate the division the last 18 years mean the NFC is one of the best division in the league? One year its us, the next year it's the Giants, then the Eagles take their turn, then back to Dallas...

BTW I was kind of surprised at the Giant's collapse this year. Was hoping we'd have another year of the NFC East sending THREE teams into the playoffs.
Actually Washington won it like 3 years ago I believe. The first year they were the "football team" if memory serves me. They've won it more recently than the Giants.

Edit: but yes. It's wild how tough this division has been and we were only something like a game away from 3-peating the division though. A Division that has seen a team in the Super Bowl in that span.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
The NFC East has always been a bloodbath.

It's always been a tradition that, if you can't win the division, then sabotage your next division opponent's chances to win it.

Then again, did you know that the NFC East has won more Super Bowls than any other division? Teams come out of the NFC East hardened and ready for playoff football.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I was thinking about this stat several weeks ago thinking that the streak would end this year. So yeah, I was well aware of the streak before yesterday.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I think it’s primarily because there has been no dominant team in the division within that span. Our divisional titles have been interrupted by unhealthy quarterbacks, overall inconsistency (Garrett) or a year like last year where another team emerges for one hot year.

The Giants managed to win two Super Bowls without ever having a dominant regular season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually Washington won it like 3 years ago I believe. The first year they were the "football team" if memory serves me. They've won it more recently than the Giants.

Edit: but yes. It's wild how tough this division has been and we were only something like a game away from 3-peating the division though. A Division that has seen a team in the Super Bowl in that span.
Yes Washington got it by default that was the COVID year, MIkes first year...

that was a year in which the Eagles and Cowboys had so many major injuries, I mean what was their record, I think they won the division with nine wins, literally weakest year I've seen it a long time for the division...

so yeah Washington got 2020, the rest of them over the last decade and you've been to Eagles and Cowboys ,Cowboys Eagles, Eagles Cowboys ,Cowboys Eagles literally going back as far as I can remember that is why this is one of the biggest division rivals between the Cowboys and Eagles more so than anyone else in the division because it's always competitive...

it's coming down between those two teams yearly and it's becoming chippy...