1992 Cowboys vs Giants preview narrated by Pat Summerall

Flamma

Reaction score
I hope they paid Summerall very well. Guy was top notch.

I remember that game very well because I dumped a ton of dough on the Cowboys -16 without a second thought. The Cowboys were still putting pressure on the Giants QB late in the game. Dave Brown came in for a few plays and got swarmed. Leading some Giants to say, I can't believe they were blitzing.

Today that would have been on all social media. Back then you had to read it in a paper.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had (and might still have) years worth of these games on VHS tapes.

I think the art of building up these games has been lost and forgotten.

Summerall was the best, but I liked Frank Gifford’s Monday Night Football lead-ins as well. They could make even mediocre games feel epic.

Scotman

Reaction score
I like the one in 1993 too.

It's amazing looking back at how different the game was. Late hit? Not unless it was the next play. Roughing the QB? Not unless they were about to huddle up. Separated shoulder? Rub some dirt on it. It just looked SO much more physical.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It's amazing looking back at how different the game was. Late hit? Not unless it was the next play. Roughing the QB? Not unless they were about to huddle up. Separated shoulder? Rub some dirt on it. It just looked SO much more physical.
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. Late hits and roughing the passer did exist back then, albeit in a scaled back fashion compared to today.

Rustinpeace21

Reaction score
I had (and might still have) years worth of these games on VHS tapes.

I think the art of building up these games has been lost and forgotten.

Summerall was the best, but I liked Frank Gifford’s Monday Night Football lead-ins as well. They could make even mediocre games feel epic.
You’re right it has been forgotten. Watching this it feels like you’re about to watch two teams battle it out for their destiny.

Today it’s just wave after wave of analytics, and endless talking about who choked more.

Scotman

Reaction score
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. Late hits and roughing the passer did exist back then, albeit in a scaled back fashion compared to today.
Of course it was an exaggeration. I was literally exaggerating for effect. I thought that was obvious, but maybe not. That said, the game looks much different to me than it did then.

Toro9

Reaction score
Pat had THE BEST play-by-play voice of all time. Al Michaels is #2.