1st rd pick - NT?

bpfred

Reaction score
My opinion: The two biggest areas of need are G and NT. There are a lot of other areas which could use help, but we NEED a NT and a G.

NT - At NT we have Ferguson and T. Johnson. If anything happens to Ferguson, our season could go with it. While Parcells probably likes Johnson, he doesn’t like him enough to depend on him—not with playoff/Superbowl aspirations. Glover needs to be replaced, especially with Ferguson aging and something of an injury risk.

G – Starters – Kozier, Rivera. Backups: Peterman, Proctor, Tarullo, Snell. This is Peterman’s 3rd year. As incredible as it sounds, given the other guys, he may not make the roster. With Rivera’s back, and Kozier capable, but better suited to a utility role, this is the single position which is most in need of help on the whole roster. I doubt Parcells has any confidence in the backups, and he definitely needs to protect the team from Rivera’s back problems. Larry Allen needs to be replaced by more than Kozier. The problem? I don't see any guards, which pull or trap (the way Parcell's likes) that make sense in the 1st round. More interesting possibilites present themselves in the 2nd round.

Therefore, in the first round, the three NT will have to be considerations: Bunkley, Ngata, Watson. Bunkley & Ngata are projected to go before 18. If either slips, they could be considered. Depending on their rankings, Dallas may consider trading UP 3 or 4 spots. My opinion? I doubt they trade up. More likely, they consider Gabe Watson at 18. If they wind up with Watson or Ngata, almost certainly Parcells would insert a weight clause into their contracts, as he did with Ferguson when he drafted him. Parcells has stated the weight clause has had a significant positive impact on Ferguson’s career.

Trading down? Everyone would like to trade down and still get the player they want—including the Cowboys. The problem is somebody else has to want to move UP. I think the only real chance to trade down will happen if one the QBs drop to 18. It’s possible, but I’m not counting on it.

So, IMO, the choice which makes the most sense is Gabe Watson. It hurts, especially when most pundits have him going 15-20 picks later, but life’s tough. The other players, IMO, which make sense are Carpenter or Wimbley (in that order). IMO, NT is much more crucial (and risky) for Dallas than OLB. The wild card? If somebody falls outrageously like Hawk or Huff. Hawk would be a no brainer, Huff they would have to think about. If Vernon Davis were to fall to 18, it might present another opportunity to trade down. But I’m not counting on them dropping.

I’m dismissing FS as a possibility (except remotely for Huff) simply because NT is so much more important in the ¾. And, if I'm Parcells, I feel really vulnerable at NT.

So there it is. My first post. Y'all don't have to be gentle. But please don't try to find out where I live. (-:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Watson is NOT worth the 18th pick. frankly with his record for laziness and being benched during his senior season for that, 2nd rd at best. I HOPE we get nowhere near him. frankly, Steve Fifita from Utah could probably be had in the 5th rd and I see him as a better prospect: 5-11, 323 (short NT's eat centers for lunch- the center can never get under him). He is STRONGER then Watson and faster as well- AND HAS A MOTOR THAT IS UNQUESTIONED.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Nagata will be long gone- but if he was to be there then I could see BP grabbing him- but he is the only one. So that is why either a trade down or one of the top OLB is our first rd pick.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Watson is NOT worth the 18th pick. frankly with his record for laziness and being benched during his senior season for that, 2nd rd at best.

Exactly right, burma... in fact, I was astounded when I learned the Cowboys had shown an interest in him, I would have thought that he'd be the type of player that Parcells just HATED...

Then again, Rodrique Wright is a chronic underachiever with a questionable work ethic, and the Boys seem to be interested in him, too...

Sometimes it's tough, trying to figure out just WHAT the heck the Boys are looking for in a player...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I question the theory that the Cowboys would use their #1 on any nose tackle, much less a guy labeled as an underachiever.

I mean - at best - this guy would be a backup/rotation guy, right?

Would you want to use your top pick for a "part-time" player?

I wouldn't.

bpfred

Reaction score
I expected the post to be unpopular, or more likely, ignored.

My whole point is that they do need a rotation guy--in the worst way. NT may be the most important position in the 3/4. Parcells is big on rotating his defensive lineman and nobody takes a worse beating over the course of the game than the NT (besides Bledsoe).

While the point is taken about Watson and his shortcomings, nobody (in this thread anyway) seems to be considering what he did at the Senior Bowl. He was dominant. My guess is that most players will take plays off when they have to play the whole game--one of the reasons some coaches are so big on rotating their DL.

And while burmafrd thinks Fifita is a better player, that thinking isn't even close to what we're seeing in mock drafts by all the 'pundits'. Pundits are frequently wrong, but a lot of them get their opinions from NFL scouting departments. Indications (indirectly from 'pundits' and their mocks) are that most NFL folks think Watson is better.

I really don't know who they will draft, but it makes a lot more sense to me that they would draft Watson in the first, and hope to get Anderson/Gucong (or a G) in the second, than to draft Carpenter in the first, and hope to find another NT later. Yes, I know Burmfrd (and probably everyone else) totally disagrees.

The whole reason I did the post, was because nobody on this board, and no pundits, seem to consider NT as even a possibility in the first round. To me, it makes a lot more sense than a safety, or an OLB. Both of those positions are relatively deep. NT isn't. My opinions--and worth what you paid for them.

bpfred

Reaction score
Silverbear - It's interesting that you mention Rodrique Wright. I suspect they'll consider him in the 3rd if he's available. Whether they take him would depend on who else is there.

Physically, he reminds me a lot of Spears. Wright 6'5", ~300. Spears 6'4"", ~305. A natural 3/4 DE.

I expect you fellas to disagree with me. Heck, I haven't found a single person (on any draft board) that has agreed with me. Just something I have to live with. Well, that plus all the name calling.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bpfred said:
Silverbear - It's interesting that you mention Rodrique Wright. I suspect they'll consider him in the 3rd if he's available. Whether they take him would depend on who else is there.

Physically, he reminds me a lot of Spears. Wright 6'5", ~300. Spears 6'4"", ~305. A natural 3/4 DE.

I expect you fellas to disagree with me. Heck, I haven't found a single person (on any draft board) that has agreed with me. Just something I have to live with. Well, that plus all the name calling.

I agree with you about Wright. He is very much like Spears. Had the same underachiever rap to him as well. The big difference is that Wright didn't dominate at the Senior Bowl practices and help himself like Spears did. Watson is another player who is much like a former Longhorn, Shaun Rogers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I put more stock in what a player has or hasn't done over the course of their college career rather than how they tested or how they played in one particular game.

Teams get in trouble falling in love with a player's "measurables" rather than their "productivity".

burmafrd

Reaction score
The point is that Watson has been KNOWN for laziness and lack of motivation his entire time at Michigan. SO to me what he did in the Senior Bowl- ONE GAME- means very little compared to that.
As regards Fifita- he is very clearly a NT and nothing else. Too short for regular DT duties. BUT that is fine with us since that is all we want him for.
As I pointed out: he is STRONGER then Watson; FASTER then watson; and being short is great for a NT since he can get under the center and drive him back. BEST OF ALL Fifita has a GREAT motor. So to me, its a no brainer. Especially since we can probably get him in the 5th.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I agree with you about Wright. He is very much like Spears. Had the same underachiever rap to him as well. The big difference is that Wright didn't dominate at the Senior Bowl practices and help himself like Spears did. Watson is another player who is much like a former Longhorn, Shaun Rogers.

And if Watson plays like Rogers in the NFL, the team that gets him will be very happy, most of the time. Rogers still has bouts with not giving it his all, but when he does, he's great.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

bpfred

Reaction score
Watson isn't known only for laziness and lack of motivation. He wouldn't be ranked where he is if that were the case. The guy made a lot of plays. At the Senior Bowl, when grouped with the best players in the nation, players he would be competing against in the NFL, he made plays there as well. And he did it when every player there knew millions of dollars were on the line.

Watson in fact, may be a bust in the NFL. Or he could be put into a rotation at NT, play 40 or 50 plays a game, and be a real force.

The fact that you are projecting Fifita to be a better player in the NFL IS going out on a limb--something not many NFL talent evaluators apparently agree with. I give you credit for that.

Your argument seems to be that Fifita is who the Cowboys should wait on, and take the OLB in the 1st. Your opinion, one I don't necessarily agree with, but that's fine.

My point is this: Nobody seems to be seriously considering the loss of Glover, and how he will be replaced. A good NT is hard to find. Dallas has shown interest in Watson. He isn't projected (by very many pundits) to be available at 49. I doubt they will be able to trade down. OLB is a much easier position to fill in general, and particularly in this draft. Don't be surprised if they select Watson, and take the OLB later--if at all.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Watson is at a position where right now we have a lot of money tied up- NT in Ferguson. A first, which is probably what we would have to use to get Watson would cost us a lot of money-just not worth it. fifita in the 5th would cost us very little. remember that Watson is mostly projected as a DT- Fifita is only a NT- very much that and nothing else. that is why Fifita is a late rd guy. BUT stack them up and compare them playing ONLY NT and Fifita is not only better on the measureables (stronger, faster, etc- and short which is great for a NT) but ON MOTIVATION AND RECORD AS A PLAYER. MOTOR is something that Fifita OWNS WATSON on.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Watson is NOT worth the 18th pick. frankly with his record for laziness and being benched during his senior season for that, 2nd rd at best. I HOPE we get nowhere near him. frankly, Steve Fifita from Utah could probably be had in the 5th rd and I see him as a better prospect: 5-11, 323 (short NT's eat centers for lunch- the center can never get under him). He is STRONGER then Watson and faster as well- AND HAS A MOTOR THAT IS UNQUESTIONED.

i love the idea of fifita, especially since scouts are saying his main weakness is his stamina. as a back-up for ferguson this is almost perfect, his skills are all there and he's a "wide load", he will take on two blocks freeing up linebackers and definately will act as a good resting stool for ferguson.

Height: 5-11 1/4 | Weight: 323 | 40-Time: 5.14
stevefifita.jpg

Official Bio

one.gif
Strengths:
Extremely strong...A wide load who is very disruptive in the middle...Has a great motor...Plays with excellent leverage...Can stuff the run and take on multiple blockers...Is able to get some penetration...An experienced three-year starter.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the height you look for...Inconsistent...Is not a great natural pass rusher and won't rack up many sacks...Has a bit of a hard time with massive offensive linemen...Stamina could be a concern...Won't be a fit for every team.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "fee-feeta"...Strongest player on the team with a 675 lb. squat and 460 lb. bench press...Underrated player who could excel as a nose guard in the pros under the right circumstances...Need to be in the right scheme.