News: 2 Cowboys make the top 50 "trench" list

Techsass

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-trench-list/ar-AAMietP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

This list was made based almost exclusively on my personal film study of the trenches. The idea behind the slots for each player is based on an assessment of their overall body of work until this point, coupled with a projection for expected performance in the 2021 season.

Keep in mind that the ‘tiers’ are more important than the actual ranking, so players inside each tier can be shifted around without much pushback from me.

(Elite tier, 2nd overall) Zack Martin - RG - Cowboys - Year 8 - 30-years old

Martin was forced to play right tackle for the Cowboys in three games last season including starting at the unfamiliar position twice before going down with a season-ending calf injury in his second start at right tackle in Week 12 against Washington. Along with a concussion that took him out for Week 7, Martin missed a total of six games in 2020, the most of his illustrious career (his prior high was two missed games in 2018).
There was only one player who received a higher ranking, and that was DT Aaron Donald, who gets the “unique” category all to himself.

Martin’s return is part of the reason that hopes are up for the performance of Dallas’ offensive line. The other parts are named Tyron Smith, La’el Collins, and Tyler Biadasz, all of whom missed much or all of the season. This made them basically ineligible for this ranking. If all are indeed healthy, it could bode very well indeed, and had he not gone out himself Smith would probably have cracked this list somewhere since he received honorable mention at the end.

(Very good/trending down tier, 38th overall) DeMarcus Lawrence - Edge - Cowboys - Year 8 - 29-years old

Lawrence has been a bit mischaracterized over the last two seasons largely due to his sack numbers dipping. When you contrast his raw numbers from the 2019-2020 seasons (11.5 sacks) with his 2017-2018 seasons (25 sacks) it is understandable for people to think that he is no longer a dynamic, very good edge player, rather in the ‘good/above average’ tier. It’s important to understand the various changes that the Dallas defense has undergone during that timeframe relative to coaching changes that have impacted what Lawrence’s responsibilities are as a player. Lawrence has gradually been asked to focus more heavily on defending the run while seeing an inordinate amount of double-teams over the last couple of seasons. When isolated against top-tier competition at tackle, he is still on the shortlist for most respected by his opponents due to his vaunted cross-chop technique but also his spin move, effectiveness on stunts, and underrated power.

Last edited:

pansophy

Reaction score
Looking at their ages and it just seems like we keep wasting the careers of some outstanding talent.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Looking at their ages and it just seems like we keep wasting the careers of some outstanding talent.
Of the 10 offensive linemen that may be all decade team 8 of them where non cowboys.

7 out of those 8 played in a Superbowl.......

Outstanding talent has 100% been wasted

Last edited:

Techsass

Reaction score
5 may be low.

I'm not kidding.
Well they only pick from the linemen, so 1/2 of them making the top 50 is pretty stout. I'm with you though & would love a couple of our DTs or Biadasz to step up to the plate. Heck Conner Williams was ranked 13th I think. He might jump up a tier.

RS12

Reaction score
Agree with what was posted. I need to see guys stay healthy, and be productive.