2 pointer

Sully

Reaction score
OK let's start off with, if this happened to our team ( Dallas ), we all would be screaming bloody murder. Be honest, we all would be.

Next, if McCarthy was a "smart" head coach, he would have run the clock far better. Taking a STUPID delay of game flag because he can see ONE SECOND difference between play and game clock. He runs the offense correctly, the Lions never get the ball to begin with. Even the announcers said it.

Now to the controversy. I am going to end one thing. The Lions formation was legal. There were 7 on the line. The WR, at the bottom was pushed back NOT covering up #68.

Now did the players report? Like the "push tush", both will be change next season. And for this particular issue, I don't understand why the referee doesn't make the announcement to the entire stadium? Was done in the past. This will eliminate ALL grey areas. "Number _____ is reporting in as an eligible receiver" Case closed.

And will throw in one more tid bit.....we can all complain about the officials. Pick any sport and their is complaining about the officials. I hear it all day game ( Yes, I am a local ref ). Why don't former NFL players, become referees? They have the experience on the field and have the knowledge. Make the game better and become a referee instead of going to the media and continuing their complaining about the officials.

Eventually, AI will eliminate the referees because people will demand perfection, the next generation will not want to be an official because of the attacks. Don't get me wrong, there are many flags that I scratch my head about also. I say to myself, I would not flag that. I error on : " if it is grey, I do not throw my flag".

Fans, players and coaches are not at the game to watch the officials. Try to be as invisible as possible. Let the game dictate itself. But with this issue, it can be solved immediately with just making a stadium announcement.

Shannon1

Reaction score
OK let's start off with, if this happened to our team ( Dallas ), we all would be screaming bloody murder. Be honest, we all would be.

Next, if McCarthy was a "smart" head coach, he would have run the clock far better. Taking a STUPID delay of game flag because he can see ONE SECOND difference between play and game clock. He runs the offense correctly, the Lions never get the ball to begin with. Even the announcers said it.

Now to the controversy. I am going to end one thing. The Lions formation was legal. There were 7 on the line. The WR, at the bottom was pushed back NOT covering up #68.

Now did the players report? Like the "push tush", both will be change next season. And for this particular issue, I don't understand why the referee doesn't make the announcement to the entire stadium? Was done in the past. This will eliminate ALL grey areas. "Number _____ is reporting in as an eligible receiver" Case closed.

And will throw in one more tid bit.....we can all complain about the officials. Pick any sport and their is complaining about the officials. I hear it all day game ( Yes, I am a local ref ). Why don't former NFL players, become referees? They have the experience on the field and have the knowledge. Make the game better and become a referee instead of going to the media and continuing their complaining about the officials.

Eventually, AI will eliminate the referees because people will demand perfection, the next generation will not want to be an official because of the attacks. Don't get me wrong, there are many flags that I scratch my head about also. I say to myself, I would not flag that. I error on : " if it is grey, I do not throw my flag".

Fans, players and coaches are not at the game to watch the officials. Try to be as invisible as possible. Let the game dictate itself. But with this issue, it can be solved immediately with just making a stadium announcement.
And what about the tripping call that wasn’t never would have had the 2 pt conversation

JBS

Reaction score
This idea that the lions weren’t getting the ball back is flat out wrong. Yes MM screwed it up. But Det was getting the ball back no matter what

CWR

Reaction score
And what about the tripping call that wasn’t never would have had the 2 pt conversation
Just ignores it like the rest of them. Gice me a break. It cuts both ways. Game was over if not for that call.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
They did announce to the stadium that 70 was eligible
And that is the biggest problem of all - either way one team is screwed by the refs. Lions get bit b/c refs say #68 didn't report, or the refs don't announce #68 as eligible the Cowboys won't know to cover him. Of course, as some other posters have mentioned, there were multiple players around the refs and stadiums are not quiet places. Did the refs miss what #68 said? Did he get some sort of confirmation? Either way it doesn't matter now. I don't think those kind of trick plays should be allowed anyway.

Bagman

Reaction score
This idea that the lions weren’t getting the ball back is flat out wrong. Yes MM screwed it up. But Det was getting the ball back no matter what
You're wrong. Dallas' drive started with a 1st and 25. Shoulda been 1st and 10. Dallas did drive about 14 yds before they had to kick the FG. Without the totally BS tripping call, Dallas runs out the clock. A new set of downs wipes out the Lions remaining TOs.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Yes but they should have gotten it back with 40 fewer seconds if MM ran the ball instead of throwing it. Which means the Lions would have ran out of time before getting their last touchdown the way the last drive unfolded.

DripTooHard

Reaction score

The ref announced 70 as eligible to the whole stadium over the PA. Why didn’t the Lions correct him? They had a full 25 second play lock to correct the ref before the snap.

JBS

Reaction score
Yes but they should have gotten it back with 40 fewer seconds if MM ran the ball instead of throwing it. Which means the Lions would have ran out of time before getting their last touchdown the way the last drive unfolded.
Yes. Less time for sure. Can’t speak on how last drive unfolded bc the entire situation changes

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with you on officiating being bad this year, but it was announced. Clearly. To the entire stadium. Listen below.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score

Yeah but with a minute left no timeouts. Huge difference that 45 seconds

csirl

Reaction score
Game shows that even good coaches make stupid calls. MM should have run 40 more seconds off the clock and DC should have kicked the xpt rather than persisting with multiple 2xpt attempts.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
If this happened to our team, the coach would get fired for going for it again after the fake sneakery

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

The formation was legal. The player who caught the pass(#68) was not. Because he wasn't reported as eligible. #70 was. If that was incorrect player being called eligible then lions needed to correct it. Cowboys players were pointing to 70 as eligible. Nobody coverwd 68.

They didn't Correct the eligible player thus 70 was eligible. 68 was not. Trygng to be too smart for Their own good.

Further on officiating. Hendorshot was called for tripping. Watched the video 10 times. What tripping? That made it 1st and 25 instead of 2nd and 3. Huge huge huge impact on the game. We won. As we should have. But if we lost it would have been a grave mistake on officials deciding playoff seedings, etc.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

I think the Lions were even surprised Quinn backed off on the pressure and allowed Goff to carve them up in the final minutes. It appears the Lions attempted that 2 point try with numerous marginal encroachments on the rule book. They wanted the game to end at that point and losing would not hurt them too much. Thye took a calculated risk and failed.

It's a lot easier to coach the game from the booth with numerous television angles available in a moment's notice. Last I checked, the guys in the booth have zero coaching experience. If McCarthy ran the ball 3 times for 2 yards and a cloud of dust, people would be complaining about that as well. McCarthy has taken the team to 3 straight playoff appearances and is on the cusp of three straight 12-win seasons. While it's a fan's right to want more, you have go back a long way to see that kind of production on Dallas. Under the current circumstances (Ownership), I say McCarthy is outperforming expectations.

If AI takes over officiating, the 49ers will never lose again.

visionary

Reaction score
With 1/40 left or with 40 left is a massive difference