2 QB's

CowboyChris

Reaction score
are we really going to cut Baker the 3rd QB? if he doesnt count as a roster spot why cut him? i beleive every team in the league will have 3 QB's on opening day

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
He would count as a roster spot and Jerry has already said we're only keeping 2 QBs.

That doesn't mean we won't try to sneak him onto the PS.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
does anyone else here think its insane to keep only 2 QB's? what if Bledsoe goes down? are we going to be scramblng to sign a QB off of waivers?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if Bledsoe's injury last night will shift our thinking.

Personally, I like the decision. I'd be fine with keeping three if Henson were still around, but not if Baker is the guy. He is simply not one of our best 53 players and, frankly, if a game came down to him I think we would be better off with some free agent off the street.

Should Bledsoe go down, yeah, we'll sign another guy. But if it comes down to a third quarterback or a third kicker that can consistently produce touchbacks on kickoffs, I'd much rather take the kicker.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
are we really going to cut Baker the 3rd QB? if he doesnt count as a roster spot why cut him? i beleive every team in the league will have 3 QB's on opening day

Hew would count against the 53. You must be on the 53 man roster even to be the emergence QB. There is no way in heck that he would ever get into a game this year in any circumstance, and with the probable need to keep two kickers added to the fact that there is some serious talent that BP would love not to have to cut he is a definite goner. However, they should be able to get him to the practice squad if they want to.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
does anyone else here think its insane to keep only 2 QB's? what if Bledsoe goes down? are we going to be scramblng to sign a QB off of waivers?

Then we put romo in whats the big deal if we lose both Bledsoe and Romo we are screwed anyways who is going to make a playoff run for you at that point unless it happens before the trade deadline. I mean we going to phone Vinny to come lose some games I mean at that point might as well call up the rookie limit the game plan and tell your defense to go win the game.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:

So knowing that Matt Baker is on the regular roster instead of the practice squad is going to let you sleep better at night?

Nothing has changed ... we'll still keep a "developmental" 3rd QB, just like every team in the NFL does. The only difference is he's on the practice squad instead of the regular roster. You can get away with it when you have an ironman starter and a backup who never takes sacks.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters. He counts a roster spot. You may be thinking about the emergency QB not counting against the game day roster.

There is no reason we can't sneak Baker to the PS is they are really interested in trying to develop him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Then we put romo in whats the big deal if we lose both Bledsoe and Romo we are screwed anyways who is going to make a playoff run for you at that point unless it happens before the trade deadline. I mean we going to phone Vinny to come lose some games I mean at that point might as well call up the rookie limit the game plan and tell your defense to go win the game.

I'm telling you guys, I like Volek more and more.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'm telling you guys, I like Volek more and more.

Does Volek sign here to be the third guy when he had a shot to start in Tennessee?

Surely there's a team that could offer him a No. 2 spot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dale said:
Does Volek sign here to be the third guy when he had a shot to start in Tennessee?

All that will come clear in the next few days. There will be a team that takes Volek on once the final cuts are made.

I would not like any scenario where both Bledsoe and Romo are injured. I think that would be an indication that the offensive line is doing a horrendous job of protecting the QB. Then it would not matte who is back there.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
haven't the colts gone with just two QB's for years?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dale said:

I don't know but I know this, he won't be starting in Tennesse. Hell, I wanted to sign Collins because I thought he could still be a decent QB in a pinch.

If I'm Volek, I might elect to go out and play in Washington or some where else but, if Jerry were to offer me a decent short term contract, I might consider it. I'm not talking about signing Volek to a long term deal. I would look at maybe a year contract with an option for another year. That would give Volek a job now and put him in a situation where the starter is not young, the back up is unexperienced and the team around me is good enough to maybe challenge for a championship. What could happen if Volek managed to QB this team to a Championship? I don't know but it would certainly drive up Voleks stock. I don't know if he would want to come to Dallas but I can see reasons why he might be interested.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guarantee you if we sign a vet QB it will be either Vinny T or Tommie Maddox.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Seems like we are forced to go with two kickers and with BPs concerns at other postions, such as OT keeping only 2 qbs to open the season is what we may have to do.
As far as Bledsoe going down, Romo would obviously be force fed the starters role. Not to be funny, but in this 'disaster' scenario is Vinny signed by anyone yet? With Romo starting I'd be okay with Vinny as backup because he knows what Bill wants done should he get put in and lets face it, if it gets down to a third starting qb for a season, we're screwed anyway.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
I guarantee you if we sign a vet QB it will be either Vinny T or Tommie Maddox.

You may be right and I would not like it. I think either of those guys will be pointless to sign. If either is starting in Dallas because of injuries, the season is lost.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Didnt the colts do this a year ago?

I believe they just had Manning and Sorgi I think was the backup.

conner01

Reaction score
we will not sign a vet unless someone is injured. and we will not be the only team with 2 qb's. the odds of getting to the 3rd qb in a game is mighty slim. you could say the same with almost any position.not many spots do you have 3 deep in depth