20 Questions: 17 - Most Important Game on the Schedule

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/17-most-important-game-on-2024-schedule

3 different answers from them.
SF, Cleveland (since it is the 1st game), Baltimore (you are 2-0, big game, or 1-1, or 0-2, need a win)

Of course many fans will say SF as that is the hurdle this team can't get over. However, we know what will be said if we beat SF. Well, it is regular season, wait for the playoffs.

Hard to say, as this will change as the season goes along. SF is obvious, and the reasoning for Baltimore makes sense also.
However, I will go with the season opener, set a tone, get a good solid win. Otherwise it could be the 1st game with Philly. If things go as expected. It could be for taking over or controlling the NFCE.

JustChip

Reaction score

SF, Cleveland (since it is the 1st game), Baltimore (you are 2-0, big game, or 1-1, or 0-2, need a win)

Of course many fans will say SF as that is the hurdle this team can't get over. However, we know what will be said if we beat SF. Well, it is regular season, wait for the playoffs.

Hard to say, as this will change as the season goes along. SF is obvious, and the reasoning for Baltimore makes sense also.
However, I will go with the season opener, set a tone, get a good solid win. Otherwise it could be the 1st game with Philly. If things go as expected. It could be for taking over or controlling the NFCE.
I agree. There is an opportunity to come out and play well and beat a quality opponent on the road. That’s something they’ve not been able to do for 2 years (Vikings in 2022) and consistently for longer than that. The opener doesn’t decide the season, but what they do in that game will go a long way in identifying whether they’re legit contenders or pretenders.

CWR

Reaction score

Na, beating the niners counts period. Have to show you can overcome that hurdle. Everyone know the playoffs are different but if you can't beat em in the regular season it doesn't bode well for the playoffs. Aside from that it's Philly and the division.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree. There is an opportunity to come out and play well and beat a quality opponent on the road. That’s something they’ve not been able to do for 2 years (Vikings in 2022) and consistently for longer than that. The opener doesn’t decide the season, but what they do in that game will go a long way in identifying whether they’re legit contenders or pretenders.
I hope Watson and Chub actually play though. I'd rather get em at full strength and see what happens. No more pretending like years past.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The first 4 games are critical........whether we are 1-3, 2-2, 3-1 or 4-0, we will know a lot about this team.

Reactions: CWR

Flamma

Reaction score
I won't say week 1 because it means nothing except for the W/L column. It doesn't say anything about your team. Other than, were you prepared or not.

I'll go with 49ers of course. I want to see us at least compete against them.

Reactions: CWR

Chasing6

Reaction score

It always has to be a divisional game. I would pick Philly on the road.

CWR

Reaction score
I won't say week 1 because it means nothing except for the W/L column. It doesn't say anything about your team. Other than, were you prepared or not.

I'll go with 49ers of course. I want to see us at least compete against them.
Week 1 means a ton to the fans, but it usually ends up being insignificant and not a great indicator of the team going forward.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most important game will be the playoff game.

If they aren't playing wild card weekend...yikes.

If they actually win that game, the next week will be the most important game and so on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Agree about the first game being the most important. They need to set the tone for the season. We will find out alot week 1.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

As of today, I don't consider any game as the single most important game on the schedule. Let's be honest: people on these boards are probably going to proclaim five or six different games throughout the year as the single most important game. All depends on circumstances.

But, as to not be a Debbie Downer, I'll say we need those Philly games to make sure we win the East. I'm not worried about the flotsam in NY or Washington. I want at least one home playoff game. Not that it helped much last season...sigh.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And they'd be right. It'd be good to stop the bleeding but until we send them home the way they did us 2 years in a row it will matter marginally unless we do it in the postseason too. See Green Bay in 2016.

pitt33

Reaction score
Early on against Baltimore. Winning that one will breed confidence for the later test again SF.

More than anything this team needs signature wins against quality opponents. I can’t remember the last one(s). It’s been that long.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first 4 games are critical........whether we are 1-3, 2-2, 3-1 or 4-0, we will know a lot about this team.
I don’t disagree with your logic. But IMO it takes a minimum of 6-8 games…sometimes more before you know what a team really is.

Some recent examples:
  • The 2020 SB champion Tampa Bay Bucs were 7-5 after 12 games that year. They didn’t win their division. But they got hot late with the great Tom Brady and their underrated defense.
  • The 2021 AFC champion bengals were 5-4 before their bye. They got super hot down the stretch.
  • The 2021 Niners, who made it to the NFC championship game before losing to the rams, started the season 2-4 before getting their act together.
My point is although I agree with you the Cowboys first 4 games will be critical with their HC on a hot seat, it really takes longer than 4 games to really know what a team is.

shabazz

Reaction score
Week 4 against the Giants. If these bums beat us I'll get a better handle on exactly how high in the draft we'll be picking from.

With this roster, lame duck coaches/ players and divisiveness on the team, it's actually the logical way to view it.