20 years ago (+1 day) Tyson bit Holyfields ear. Twice!

yimyammer

Reaction score
Boxing used to be so exciting and so much fun.

If you're young and don't know much about how big boxing used to be, find and check out the 30 for 30 episode called "Chasing Tyson"

Here's an interesting article on the "bite fight"

Come to think of it, this might be the last big Heavyweight fight and the sport has gone downhill ever since. Hard to believe considering how huge it used to be.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It probably was the last great moment in heavyweight boxing. I liked Lenox Lewis, but he literally had no one to fight. Holyfield and Tyson were done, and the older Klitschko just wasn't as good.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It probably was the last great moment in heavyweight boxing. I liked Lenox Lewis, but he literally had no one to fight. Holyfield and Tyson were done, and the older Klitschko just wasn't as good.

Lennox had good opponents. He was just safe and boring. I mentioned this before.
He got knocked out cold twice by one punch each time.

It took those two losses for him to come back and thoroughly destroy and avenge both losses.
I think he is the only boxer to beat every opponent. Not undefeated. To come back and beat previous winners.

Back to Tyson Holyfield.

Their first fight when Holyfield knocked Tyson out ... we were in my brothers condo... Me, my brother and father jumped up and down so much I think we woke the entire complex.

Second fight that was crazy.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Boxing used to be so exciting and so much fun.

If you're young and don't know much about how big boxing used to be, find and check out the 30 for 30 episode called "Chasing Tyson"

Here's an interesting article on the "bite fight"

Come to think of it, this might be the last big Heavyweight fight and the sport has gone downhill ever since. Hard to believe considering how huge it used to be.
Yeah. Sad really. Greed killed boxing. Its slow death started with the end of the club fights.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
You could be right.

Hope I'm not. Baseball is suffering from a lack of interest in urban areas and slow play. If the NBA's not careful, the lack of competitive balance caused by "Superteams" may kill interest in the smaller markets.

There's enough greed to go around in both sports by the owners and the players. Guaranteed contracts in both sports are causing franchises to shell out large sums of money for underperforming players. Owners subsidize their bad decisions and poor bargaining position by just jackin' up the prices. Eventually, the fans won't be able to afford to watch and say "enough".

Anybody remember Bobby Bonilla? July 1st is "Bobby Bonilla Day" for the New York Mets. Rather than pay him the $5.9M they owed him to walk away from his deal in 2001, they agreed to an annuitized payout of $1.9M every year from 2011 until 2035. His total payout on the $5.9M will end up close to $30M. Dude's 53 or 54 years old, still on the payroll, and will continue to be for the next 18 years.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Hope I'm not. Baseball is suffering from a lack of interest in urban areas and slow play. If the NBA's not careful, the lack of competitive balance caused by "Superteams" may kill interest in the smaller markets.

There's enough greed to go around in both sports by the owners and the players. Guaranteed contracts in both sports are causing franchises to shell out large sums of money for underperforming players. Owners subsidize their bad decisions and poor bargaining position by just jackin' up the prices. Eventually, the fans won't be able to afford to watch and say "enough".

Anybody remember Bobby Bonilla? July 1st is "Bobby Bonilla Day" for the New York Mets. Rather than pay him the $5.9M they owed him to walk away from his deal in 2001, they agreed to an annuitized payout of $1.9M every year from 2011 until 2035. His total payout on the $5.9M will end up close to $30M. Dude's 53 or 54 years old, still on the payroll, and will continue to be for the next 18 years.
Interesting story about Bonilla. Why would the Mets make a deal like that?? Baseball should survive..l never understood the support of a gimmick sport like the NBA!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just finished watching clips of all of Tyson's fights. Man, I loved watching him and miss those days in the Sports Bars. Even a few times, the fight was over before I got the drinks from the bar :laugh: