2006 NFL Free Agents: Linebackers

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
plus Witherspoon is fairly really young, and has a long future ahead of him, someone is going to want to lock him up

Reaction score
I was surprised that Carolina worked so hard to resign Dan Morgan before they even started talking with Spoon's agents. Morgan is good for a couple of plays before he stubs his toe and needs to be carried off the field. When he's healthy, he's a great LB. But he's rarely 100% healthy.

Spoon has hardly missed any games in his career, and he has gotten better each year. Seems like a good team guy, as well, based on what I hear around here and how he sounds on local sports radio.

Dwight

Reaction score
He probably will get a lot of looks from other teams and command a good amount of money, however, I would sign him because of his productivity and his youth. Thats the way you deal with Free agency, get solid to good players that are young.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
I was surprised that Carolina worked so hard to resign Dan Morgan before they even started talking with Spoon's agents. Morgan is good for a couple of plays before he stubs his toe and needs to be carried off the field. When he's healthy, he's a great LB. But he's rarely 100% healthy.

Spoon has hardly missed any games in his career, and he has gotten better each year. Seems like a good team guy, as well, based on what I hear around here and how he sounds on local sports radio.

what are you waiting for Jerry?!

oh, that little tampering issue :D

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
If we can pull out an Anthony Henry type deal with an OLB, ill be happy. Wouldnt mind seeing us get a guy that the media doesn't overhype, but ends up being better than anyone else out there.

Weatherspoon is really good. The kid on Jacksonville is good too.

Anyone who can bring some pass rush from the edge would be wonderful.

lwehlers

Reaction score
i would not be surprised if we do not go after any of these free agent linebackers. probaly go after young guys that we have never heard of. also this draft has good depth in middle rounds at lb this year. also with the way fowler played at the end of the year i would not be surprised to see james and fowler and a middle round draft pick be our middle lbs this year. the raven lb is the only lb to have ever played in the 3/4 defense. the rest are small lb who are more of 4-3 lbs. i would love to have witherspoon but i think he will cost to much now in free agency.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
If we can pull out an Anthony Henry type deal with an OLB, ill be happy. Wouldnt mind seeing us get a guy that the media doesn't overhype, but ends up being better than anyone else out there.

Weatherspoon is really good. The kid on Jacksonville is good too.

Anyone who can bring some pass rush from the edge would be wonderful.

sign either of the 2, or draft Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson, whatever works for me

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lwehlers said:
i would not be surprised if we do not go after any of these free agent linebackers. probaly go after young guys that we have never heard of. also this draft has good depth in middle rounds at lb this year. also with the way fowler played at the end of the year i would not be surprised to see james and fowler and a middle round draft pick be our middle lbs this year. the raven lb is the only lb to have ever played in the 3/4 defense. the rest are small lb who are more of 4-3 lbs. i would love to have witherspoon but i think he will cost to much now in free agency.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Kevin Burnett be our MLB, and we get a pass-rushing threat off the edge, opposite Ware

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
sign either of the 2, or draft Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson, whatever works for me

Drafting Carpetneter would be a great move or a stupid move depending on where we get him. I like him, even more so than Hawk. I think that he brings what we need, size, speed, and just raw ability. However, I would be a bit skeptical of spending a 1st rounder on ihm due to his injuries.

I dont want a repeat of Burnett, where we get a high round guy who has complications to an injury he suffered in college.

Speaking of Burnett, I wouldnt be at all suprised if he has a Brady James like break out perfomance. He was a team captain, obviously has leadership and intelligence, in college, and he looked real good at times for us. Film study, being healthy, and just another off-season should really benefit him. I keep seeing that play against Philly where he knifed through their O-Line and stopped Westbrook in the backfield.

lwehlers

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I wouldn't be suprised to see Kevin Burnett be our MLB, and we get a pass-rushing threat off the edge, opposite Ware

i do not know if burnett will get a shot at being a starter next year since he hurt his knee. he will be behind in most of the offseason program now rehabbing. also he was not playing real well most of last season to expect parcells to hand him a starting job next year. he is going to have to really prove himself to parcells in training camp. he did not impress parcells that much last year to be expected to be a starter. i still see him as a backup and a special teams player.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked Antwan Peek coming out of college...he has height but I do not know what his weight is now, he was on the thin side in college.

I also have not got to see him play much in the NFL as he is with the Texans so I am not sure how he has done...but he was pretty impressive to watch in the games I saw him as a bearcat in college.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
There are some decent lesser-known LB's out there who also won't break your budget. The Colts won't be able to re-sign all their LB's, so beside Cato June, what about David Thornton and Gary Brackett? Both are pretty speedy and Brackett is good in the middle (he's kind of like Nguyen with the size similarity...).

Also what about Sedrick Hodge? He's one of the fastest LB's in the NFL...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
There are some decent lesser-known LB's out there who also won't break your budget. The Colts won't be able to re-sign all their LB's, so beside Cato June, what about David Thornton and Gary Brackett? Both are pretty speedy and Brackett is good in the middle (he's kind of like Nguyen with the size similarity...).

Also what about Sedrick Hodge? He's one of the fastest LB's in the NFL...

As much as I loved Dexter and Dat, these guys wont work in our system.

You saw, Dat was pretty durable in the 4-3 with another DT absorbing blocks, but in the 3-4, when he was getting hit by Guards, he got beat up.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
we could have had Hodge last year for next to nothing and we didn't pull the trigger so I don't think it will happen.
Matt Wilhelm is a guy that could contribute. Great ST player and has played in the 3-4 for his whole career now.