Rd 5, Pick 30 (166) Hamlin, Michael FS -good pick
Rd 5, Pick 36 (172) Buehler, David K
Rd 6, Pick 24 (197) Hodge, Stephen SS -? not good
Rd 6, Pick 35 (208) Phillips, John TE
Rd 7, Pick 18 (227) Mickens, Mike CB- did not make team
Rd 7, Pick 20 (229) Johnson, Manuel WR- practice squad

Now that you see last years pick we basically have 1/2 a draft class already
most of them were injured
Round 1. I think we trade down for high round picks.
2nd,3rd,5th

Round 2.
a. Vladimir Ducasse OG/OT
great pick here.
Versatile and can possibly replace Kosier or Adams.

b. Brandon Spikes ILB
a true football player on the field, makes plays, decent in coverage.
If Jason Williams can play inside there won't be a problem in pass coverage.

Round 3.
a. Javier Arenas CB and KR/PR
pet cat here. great guy quick feet and can probably defend the slot very well.
can return kicks very well

b. Jason Veldheer OT
at 6'8 this guy is a tank. with some mentoring we can make him into a premier OT

Round 4.

Carlton Mitchell WR
JJ says no wideouts, but this guy is too good to pass up.
6'4 210lbs this guy has height and speed help us.
If he is not available than Dezmon Briscoe WR, 6'3
playmaker here.

Round 5.
Myron Rolle SS/FS
last year he would have been a first round pick.
this is a difficult one because of Mike Hamlin FS.
We could take FS Robert Johnson, but Rolle is a player

Round 6. Think JJ trades down for a 6h and 7th due to value.

Garret Graham TE/FB
a versatile FB
Round 7.
a. Leigh Tiffin, Top 5 kicker.

b. Clifton Geathers DE
Geather's is huge at 6'8 and 280, he's about the size of Calias Campbell who now plays in Arizona's 3-4, for what that's worth. I don't like the way he left school (just turned off his phone and disappeared), but the raw talent is there, and for a 7th round pick, completely worth it.

I bet we are trading Marion Barber and Sam Hurd, but in this case we would solidify a line and we could release Holland and maybe Proctor.
I D-line would be very good especially against the pass.
I think Mike Hamlin can be a play maker with some experience, and Myron Rolle could be the next Darren Woodson. With this draft and last years we fill in every need.

:giants: :skins: :eagles: :bow:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Rd 4, Pick 20 (120) Williams, Brandon DE- true DE

You keep saying this but he isn't. In a 3-4, he's a pass rushing OLB.

Brandon Williams is 6'3" 248 lbs.

Some 3-4 DE's...
Marcus Spears 6'4" 306
Igor Olshansky 6'6" 315
Jason Hatcher 6'6" 305
Aaron Smith 6'5" 298
Richard Seymour 6'6" 310

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3273460 said:
Rd 4, Pick 20 (120) Williams, Brandon DE- true DE

You keep saying this but he isn't. In a 3-4, he's a pass rushing OLB.

Brandon Williams is 6'3" 248 lbs.

Some 3-4 DE's...
Marcus Spears 6'4" 306
Igor Olshansky 6'6" 315
Jason Hatcher 6'6" 305
Aaron Smith 6'5" 298
Richard Seymour 6'6" 310
I was thinking that too.

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
If we trade down and pick somebody from UMass, I'm turning it off.

Sorry, turning it off.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Monster Heel;3273542 said:
If we trade down and pick somebody from UMass, I'm turning it off.

Sorry, turning it off.

What a loss that would be.

RS12

Reaction score
I dont see any immediate impact players here other than Spikes, and would rather see what Jason Williams can do before investing a high pick on an ILB. I would like to see at least 3 immediate impact players from this draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
RS12;3273569 said:
I dont see any immediate impact players here other than Spikes, and would rather see what Jason Williams can do before investing a high pick on an ILB. I would like to see at least 3 immediate impact players from this draft.
That'd be nice, I agree. But the better your team is the tougher it is for that to happen obviously.

Except for Buehler, I'm not sure we had a single direct impact player from last season either. I had an issue with the shotgun approach to drafting (ie trading down and adding a bunch of Joes in hope of one or two hitting) last year and I would have even more of issue with it this year. Phillips and Hamlin were looking ok though.

Unless the value is not there at the #27 slot, I say grab a fist round player who has better odds of making a contribution. Two years ago held off fdrom getting too cute and drading out of the 1st round and instead went for quality---we got Felix and Jenkins...two players good enough to really make an impact for us and both better than anything we got last year.

I'm not saying some of last year's guys won't end up helping..maybe a lot. But our roster is strong enough that it should take real quality players to break the starting lineup. Occasionaly lightening strikes, and the shotgun approach at least allows for that chance. But taking a 1st round quality player with your 1st round pick and then taking 4-6 other players works better if the value is there.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3273614 said:
That'd be nice, I agree. But the better your team is the tougher it is for that to happen obviously.

Except for Buehler, I'm not sure we had a single direct impact player from last season either. I had an issue with the shotgun approach to drafting (ie trading down and adding a bunch of Joes in hope of one or two hitting) last year and I would have even more of issue with it this year. Phillips and Hamlin were looking ok though.

Unless the value is not there at the #27 slot, I say grab a fist round player who has better odds of making a contribution. Two years ago held off fdrom getting too cute and drading out of the 1st round and instead went for quality---we got Felix and Jenkins...two players good enough to really make an impact for us and both better than anything we got last year.

I'm not saying some of last year's guys won't end up helping..maybe a lot. But our roster is strong enough that it should take real quality players to break the starting lineup. Occasionaly lightening strikes, and the shotgun approach at least allows for that chance. But taking a 1st round quality player with your 1st round pick and then taking 4-6 other players works better if the value is there.
*AHEM* Victor Butler would like to have a word with you outside

Randy White

Reaction score
RS12;3273569 said:

Who are you planning on cutting ? I'll give you Ken Hamlin and Flo, but the replacement for FLO is already on the roster, so he won't come from this draft.

Not bringing back Spears ? Ok, I can see that too, but if that happens, you can bet Bowen would immidiately take his place.

My point is that all this talk about expecting this many players or that many players to make an immidiate impact out of this draft should stay in the " wishful thinking " bin. If it happens ? Absolutely fantastic, praise the football gods, kiss the sky, walk around like if you won the lottery. If it doesn't happen, which is a 99% certainty that it won't, just sit back and hope they made the right choices and those choices are developed correctly.

People forget that neither Mike Jenkins nor Anthony Spencer made any type of an impact in their rookie seasons. Demarcus Ware was a good player in his rookie year, but nowhere near the player that he is today and he was the 11th player taken in his draft. Marcus Spears still hasn't made the impact that he should have after being drafted 20th overall and might not even be back next season.

Impact ? I don't expect anybody selected in this draft to make an impact, even if they pick a starter right off the bat, which they probably won't. What I do expect is progression. This type of progression:

1) Jason Williams pushing Keith Brookings HARD for playing time at ILB. Give Wade many sleepless nights trying to decide who to start from game to game.

2) I expect Victory Butler to force the Cowboys into, at the very minimum, 3 man rotation at OLB during passing situation, or forcing B-Ware to line up as a DE while Butler lines up at OLB in obvious passing downs when they use the 4-3 package.

3) I expect McGee to come close to take Kitna's job in this camp, at least physically wise. Obviously Kitna would retain it because they want experience at the back up position, but I expect McGee to start opening some eyes during this camp AND pre-season.

4) I expect Brandon Williams to make a splash in special teams, prove he can get to the QB, even if it's only in the most basic defenses. I expect Robert Brewster to show that he belongs on a NFL roster and do so without ANY " we'll sees " from the coaches.

5) I expect Michael Hamlin to fight for a starting spot. Might not win it, depending if the Cowboys get help from FA ( and, of course, that they cut Ken ) but push hard enough where his name is right up there in the " could start, if needed " category

6) I expect the Cowboys to get long term talent replacement in this draft. Wether it's players that might take 1 or 2 years to develop, or somebody who's worth going through the growing pains of a rookie because he's that good ( Larry Allen type ).

You give me those 6 wishes and I'd be happy as a Lion who just ate a water buffalo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3273710 said:
*AHEM* Victor Butler would like to have a word with you outside
Yeah, yeah. I like Butler to be the best of the bunch possibly, but his contibution to the defense last year was not great. But yes, you are right, based on the way I worded that.

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3273793 said:
Just curious but why the knock on Hodge?:confused:

HES NOT A GREAT PLAYER plain and simple he is not a SS thats why we need Rolle. a guy that can fly across the field and make plays when the FS is not there. aka Sidney Rice play.

RS12

Reaction score
Randy White;3273754 said:
Who are you planning on cutting ? I'll give you Ken Hamlin and Flo, but the replacement for FLO is already on the roster, so he won't come from this draft.

Not bringing back Spears ? Ok, I can see that too, but if that happens, you can bet Bowen would immidiately take his place.

My point is that all this talk about expecting this many players or that many players to make an immidiate impact out of this draft should stay in the " wishful thinking " bin. If it happens ? Absolutely fantastic, praise the football gods, kiss the sky, walk around like if you won the lottery. If it doesn't happen, which is a 99% certainty that it won't, just sit back and hope they made the right choices and those choices are developed correctly.

People forget that neither Mike Jenkins nor Anthony Spencer made any type of an impact in their rookie seasons. Demarcus Ware was a good player in his rookie year, but nowhere near the player that he is today and he was the 11th player taken in his draft. Marcus Spears still hasn't made the impact that he should have after being drafted 20th overall and might not even be back next season.

Impact ? I don't expect anybody selected in this draft to make an impact, even if they pick a starter right off the bat, which they probably won't. What I do expect is progression. This type of progression:

1) Jason Williams pushing Keith Brookings HARD for playing time at ILB. Give Wade many sleepless nights trying to decide who to start from game to game.

2) I expect Victory Butler to force the Cowboys into, at the very minimum, 3 man rotation at OLB during passing situation, or forcing B-Ware to line up as a DE while Butler lines up at OLB in obvious passing downs when they use the 4-3 package.

3) I expect McGee to come close to take Kitna's job in this camp, at least physically wise. Obviously Kitna would retain it because they want experience at the back up position, but I expect McGee to start opening some eyes during this camp AND pre-season.

4) I expect Brandon Williams to make a splash in special teams, prove he can get to the QB, even if it's only in the most basic defenses. I expect Robert Brewster to show that he belongs on a NFL roster and do so without ANY " we'll sees " from the coaches.

5) I expect Michael Hamlin to fight for a starting spot. Might not win it, depending if the Cowboys get help from FA ( and, of course, that they cut Ken ) but push hard enough where his name is right up there in the " could start, if needed " category

6) I expect the Cowboys to get long term talent replacement in this draft. Wether it's players that might take 1 or 2 years to develop, or somebody who's worth going through the growing pains of a rookie because he's that good ( Larry Allen type ).

You give me those 6 wishes and I'd be happy as a Lion who just ate a water buffalo.

I dont know, I think if they go lineman (either side), DB, and WR/KR with the first three picks, there is a better than one percent chance they all make an impact in 2010.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
TrueBeliever007;3274008 said:
HES NOT A GREAT PLAYER plain and simple he is not a SS thats why we need Rolle. a guy that can fly across the field and make plays when the FS is not there. aka Sidney Rice play.

You realize they immediately made him a linebacker don't you? This and your belief that Brandon Williams is a true DE has me wondering how closely you follow the team.

Randy White

Reaction score
BUT I don't think there's a receiver in this draft that can make an impact ( other than special teams ) with the Cowboys. Not because of talent, but simply because of numbers.

Alot of fans complained this year about Marty B not making an " impact ". Last off season most of those same fans would have let Miles Austin walk for a 2nd round pick. What those 2 have in common is that, at those respective times, they weren't even a 5th option in the Cowboys passing game because of people ahead of them and they've been in the team for years.

There's simply too many options on this team for a rookie WR to come in and make any type of an impact. Hell, it's hard enough trying to get Ogletree in the rotation as it is.

Lineman ? At best we're talking about somebody starting, but starting does not equate to " impact ". Let's say the Cowboys get rid of FLO and start FREE in his place. Let's say they're incredibly lucky and Iupati lands on their spot in the 1st round and they pick him. Let's also assume that he beats out Kosier ( as he should ) for the starting spot. That's a completely new left side of the line with half a season worth of starting experience. Just winning the starting job (Iupati) is hard enough, much less make an impact on a rookie year. Not impossible, but very hard.

DB ? A little bit easier, again, providing who's the player and what the Cowboys do in the off-season. If they decide to bring Ken back and resign Sensabaugh, then there's no room for anybody to make any impact. If they decided to bring one back but not the other, then its' a fight between that pick and Mike Hamlin and/or whomever the Cowboys decide to bring through free agency.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TrueBeliever007;3274008 said:

Did u watch Hodge play in college? And isn't he projected to play lb in the nickel/dime package like Barbie instead of ss?

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3274162 said:
You realize they immediately made him a linebacker don't you? This and your belief that Brandon Williams is a true DE has me wondering how closely you follow the team.

do you see Hodge getting playing time, well i dont. You are true about Brandon but he has thee energy and tenacity to play there like rat at NT