2010 NFL Combine: Players Who Will Be Affected Most by 40-Yard Dash

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ers-who-will-be-impacted-most-by-40-yard-dash

Players Who Could Be Affected Negatively

These are players who have a high likelihood of running a poor 40-yard dash—and they need to run a solid time to maintain their current draft stock.

1. Brandon Spikes—LB, Florida
Spikes had a phenomenal college football career. However, his No. 1 question mark is his top-end speed. Spikes plays faster than he is because of his quickness, but his 40 time could hurt his stock. If Spikes can't run below a 4.75, his stock could take a hit and push him deeper into the second round.

2. Jordan Shipley—WR, Texas
Shipley had a phenomenal senior season for Texas. However, he is undersized and does not possess great top-end speed. If Shipley runs in the 4.55 range, his stock will likely take a hit. Teams have trouble with drafting undersized wideouts without great top-end speed.

4. Javier Arenas—CB, Alabama
Arenas has seen his stock go up after a solid senior season. Arenas made a splash at corner and in the return game. Despite being a solid return man at Alabama, Arenas' 40 time could end up in the 4.55-4.65 range. If this is the case, he may lose his added special teams value in the draft.

Players Who Could Be Affected Positively

1. Jacoby Ford—WR, Clemson
Ford is seen as an undersized burner who will likely be a solid returner, but not a No. 1 or 2 receiver. However, Ford has great track speed and could run a sub-4.3 dash. If he is able to do that at the combine, he will significantly improve his stock
3. Perrish Cox—CB/S, Oklahoma State
Cox had been rising in many scouts' minds, but his stock took a huge hit at the Senior Bowl. Cox missed curfew twice and is now seen as a red-flag player for character issues. Cox has the ability to run a sub-4.4 on a good day. If he can do that, he could gain back some of his lost stock.

The Realist

Reaction score
I agree with those names for the most part.

Don't know if Shipley gets hurt.

McClain could be one who gets hurt a skosh.

Love to see Earl Thomas run slower than expected.

Won't happen.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Everybody here better hope and pray Spikes runs in the 4.8's because otherwise we have no shot at him.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
No thanks to Cox. I'm an OSU alum and I want no part of him. He didn't even play in his final college game due to being suspended for curfew. Obviously football isn't too important to him.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3276738 said:
Everybody here better hope and pray Spikes runs in the 4.8's because otherwise we have no shot at him.
Am I the only one that's hesitant for us to draft him after the eye gouging incident? I know football is a physical sport, but something about that didn't sit right with me.

rkell87

Reaction score
Cover 2;3276774 said:
Am I the only one that's hesitant for us to draft him after the eye gouging incident? I know football is a physical sport, but something about that didn't sit right with me.

it happens at every level he just got caught

rkell87

Reaction score
The Realist;3276800 said:
Yep, even Ware admits to stuff like that.

i can just imagine how many bruised balls and poked eyes came out of that scrum at the superbowl, im just surprised no fingers were broken

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I've grown to hate the 40. Really fast times are impressive. Chris Johnsons speed was impressive. Other than that, most of these guys take some sort of sprinting class to get ready for it.

Put them in pads and then time them.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3276845 said:
I've grown to hate the 40. Really fast times are impressive. Chris Johnsons speed was impressive. Other than that, most of these guys take some sort of sprinting class to get ready for it.

This.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3276845 said:

Time them in the 40 but do it situationally. Start the WR's in a WR stance and have them run a go route as fast as possible.

Have the runningbacks take a pitch and once they hit the line of scrimmage time then for 40 yards.

have a CB back peddle 10 yards and then time him 40 yards at soon as he turns around.

In football it does you little good to stand in a track stance and dash 40 yards. You need to be able to explode into that speed from your position.