News: 2016 Shrine Game: Navy's Keenan Reynolds looks natural at RB

CCBoy

Reaction score
2016 Shrine Game: Navy's Keenan Reynolds looks natural at RB
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ame-navys-keenan-reynolds-looks-natural-at-rb

SAINT PETERSBURG – No quarterback in FBS history has more career rushing yards than Navy's Keenan Reynolds, who tallied 4,559 rushing yards over the last four seasons. He also set the Division-I record for total touchdowns (88) and finished fifth in the 2015 Heisman Trophy voting.

But with his size (5-10, 200) and skill-set, Reynold's best fit in the NFL is at running back, a position he has never played. However, with his experience as a ballcarrier in Navy's option offense, the transition should go smoothly. And if Monday's Shrine Game practice is any indication, Reynolds looks like a natural at the new position.

Reynolds showed the lower body athleticism to make quick cuts and fluidly redirect his momentum, stringing together his moves to pick through the defense. He reads the field well and has the speed to beat the linebacker to the edge. With only one career catch in college, Reynolds is unproven as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, but he didn't drop a ball during the first practice and appeared natural looking the ball into his hands before bursting downfield.

With his limited build, Reynolds doesn't have the body power to run through contact, which showed as an inside runner. And with 32 career fumbles at Navy, he also needs to improve his ball security, putting the ball on the ground once during practice on Monday...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ensign/Lt Reynolds still has to do 4 years in Navy/Marines right?

That's what attendance at a Service Academy once entailed. I have been told differently on site, as of more recent comments.

When I attended the USAFA, four years was the rule of law.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Keenan Reynolds is a guy you use a 7th rd pick on. While it is possible that the Navy will not hold him to his commitment it is more than likely they will hold him to it. Now unless between now and draft day the Navy comes out and says they will not hold him to his military commitment I don't think any team will use more than a late rd pick to take a chance on him knowing it will be 3 to 4 years before he can play in the NFL

We can point to Staubach and Chad Henning but fact is both were drafted late and served the country for up to 4 to 5 years before playing with the Cowboys