CFZ 2023 Cowboys Reminiscent of the 1995 Deion Sanders Season?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It was 1995.

Jimmy Johnson was out by now. Deion Sanders was in.

It was the year after we played a tough 49ers team and truly had the personnel on the team to beat the 9ers. There was the interception by Troy Aikman, or was it by that pesky Deion Sanders? We just needed maybe one more player to add to the roster, so Jerry, of course, said, why not add the best corner to ever play the game? And Switzer added a few adjustments here and there.

The Cowboys were good that year. That last year. I remember it, though.

Fast forward almost three decades, and we've added players like Brandin Cooks, and Stephon Gilmore. Plus, we had a stellar draft, I think. At least 4 of those players could see the field, along with a couple/few free agents or UDFAs.

Like the 1994 playoffs, we were booted from the playoffs by the 49ers, albeit that year it was the NFC Championship game, if I recall.

Like that year, there was the same base of players, but a few coaching changes and adjustments throughout the staff. And recently, I've seen a few posters posting about Johnathan Taylor and saw that Broadus was talking about how the Cowboys could make one more big move. Given those parallels and the deep history with The Catch game in 1981, it just feels like something is in the air.

Anyone else think we end up matching up against San Francisco again this year? I think the odds are still pretty good. I also think the odds are good history repeats the outcome of 1994.

I'm not trying to wax nostalgic, but it's difficult not to when I look toward the future. It's just something in the air.

You may cue in your Phil Collins gifs.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry practically bought a Super Bowl championship that season at a devastating price. Sander's contract contributed to a mass exodus of talent and depth that severely limited their ability to compete at the highest level over the next several seasons.

San Fransisco is a true and historic rival through and through. They have met in the playoffs 9 times, more than any other team the Cowboys have faced. That includes 6 conference championship games, again, more than any other opponent....by far.

The Cowboys are 4-2 in conference, 1-1 division, 0-1 wildcard. 6 of the 9 games were played in San Fransisco. The Cowboys really need to focus on the seeding this season, I think it will be extremely relevant this time around.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
It was 1995.

It was the year after we played a tough 49ers team and truly had the personnel on the team to beat the 9ers. There was the interception by Troy Aikman, or was it by that pesky Deion Sanders? We just needed maybe one more player to add to the roster, so Jerry, of course, said, why not add the best corner to ever play the game? And Switzer added a few adjustments here and there.

Fast forward almost three decades, and we've added players like Brandin Cooks, and Stephon Gilmore. Plus, we had a stellar draft, I think. At least 4 of those players could see the field, along with a couple/few free agents or UDFAs.

Like the 1994 playoffs, we were booted from the playoffs by the 49ers, albeit that year it was the NFC Championship game, if I recall.

Like that year, there was the same base of players, but a few coaching changes and adjustments throughout the staff. And recently, I've seen a few posters posting about Johnathan Taylor and saw that Broadus was talking about how the Cowboys could make one more big move. Given those parallels and the deep history with The Catch game in 1981, it just feels like something is in the air.

Anyone else think we end up matching up against San Francisco again this year? I think the odds are still pretty good. I also think the odds are good history repeats the outcome of 1994.

I'm not trying to wax nostalgic, but it's difficult not to when I look toward the future. It's just something in the air.

Does it matter? As soon as "certain players" do something you don't like you'll will just call them a ape. While the mods let you continue.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The Cowboys are 4-2 in conference, 1-1 division, 0-1 wildcard. 6 of the 9 games were played in San Fransisco. The Cowboys really need to focus on the seeding this season, I think it will be extremely relevant this time around.
No you get to the SB by beating these teams, not trying to evade them. It has to be in your mind that SF is just another waypoint. Not a juggernaut you're going to fear.

Those last two years were just pathetic.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry practically bought a Super Bowl championship that season at a devastating price. Sander's contract contributed to a mass exodus of talent and depth that severely limited their ability to compete at the highest level over the next several seasons.

San Fransisco is a true and historic rival through and through. They have met in the playoffs 9 times, more than any other team the Cowboys have faced. That includes 6 conference championship games, again, more than any other opponent....by far.

:laugh: But San Francisco has plenty of expensive quarterback talent on their roster now.

Back in 1994-1995, Larry Allen made a huge difference. First at right tackle and then at left guard.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It was 1995.

The current offensive line is made up completely with offensive linemen started in the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. I think that is a relevant element to the current offensive picture as well.

Smith
Smith
Biadasz
Martin
Steele

Most of the backups in the offensive line have been with and developed by Dallas as well...

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Deion Sanders compared to anyone on this team? Are you kidding me? How stupid is that. That makes no sense. Deion Sanders is way better then anyone on this entire team. What a stupid comparison.

To the OP: I'm trying to blend in this **** shack by not reading anything on the OP and hating everything about this team. Nothing personal.

yentl911

Reaction score
Seems like a bunch of posts turn into a personal back and forth between members. I haven't been on here in a while and seeing this is unfortunate. Some very knowledgeable fans on here and I appreciate the ideas and perspective. I might not always agree with people but I try to leave it at that.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understand the comparison. I just don’t believe anything carries over or continues year to year. SF could miss the playoffs as could the Cowboys. Would be cool if they got there and met again, but I’d be surprised if they did.

calico

Reaction score
That 1995 team always seemed to be just ready to implode. I legit thought they were going to lose the Super Bowl that year in the 2nd half when the Steelers managed to turn momentum and stop Dallas with their D. Thank God for O'Donnell.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The current offensive line is made up completely with offensive linemen started in the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. I think that is a relevant element to the current offensive picture as well.

Smith
Smith
Biadasz
Martin
Steele

Most of the backups in the offensive line have been with and developed by Dallas as well...
Chemistry.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Another excellent reply. And I agree with the seeding point.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Does it matter? As soon as "certain players" do something you don't like you'll will just call them a ape. While the mods let you continue.
You poor thing. One day, you will actually know what you're talking about. I never called anyone an outright ape. There was video of Parsons mimicking an animal on the sideline (I'll let you guess at the species), but you obviously didn't see that and are fine making assumptions about someone and try to cancel someone because you lacked the information to comprehend what I was saying. Even Parsons agreed with the general idea about he behavior, apparently.

I probably shouldn't have replied to you, because you're going to cry your radical tears when someone does something you don't like, even if you don't like it because you simply misunderstood the context. That's the irony here.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
You poor thing. One day, you will actually know what you're talking about. I never called anyone an outright ape. There was video of Parsons mimicking an animal on the sideline (I'll let you guess at the species), but you obviously didn't see that and are fine making assumptions about someone and try to cancel someone because you lacked the information to comprehend what I was saying. Even Parsons agreed with the general idea about he behavior, apparently.

I probably shouldn't have replied to you, because you're going to cry your radical tears when someone does something you don't like, even if you don't like it because you simply misunderstood the context. That's the irony here.
Guess I also misunderstood your use of thug and gangster. Heil Fuhrer.

Last edited:

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
It was 1995.

when did they win 2 of the last 3 superbowls? I thought I would have heard abt that