2025 Compensation picks, could we use them today or tomorrow?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We have 3 picks today, and several more on Saturday. With that said, to move up, maybe to snag one of the LB or RB , could we use our comp picks to help facilitate said trade? It would be smart to use those instead of our current picks this year if we can. Please give your thoughts

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't trade any 2025 comp picks that have not been awarded yet. They can trade their own picks though. And gamble they will get those comp picks.
However it would be dumb to trade a 4th round in 2025, hoping one of the comp picks will be a 4th. Then that will still be lower in the round than their own 4th.
It could be a 5th instead.

Not a wise move. I don't think our FO is that stupid. Sure they seem to do stupid things at times, but not that stupid.

However I would not be surprised if the traded a 2025 5th or 6th to move up in a round this year. Such as they did to get Eric Scott last year. I hate when they do that.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas can move one of their 2025 picks with the idea that round could be replaced by a comp pick.

IE Pollard = a 6th, for example, so they could move their 2025 6th rounder to move up if need be in day 3.

*I haven't followed estimated comp picks and if Pollard is higher or lower. Also his play/snap counts are a factor too

raven55

Reaction score
don't worry there will be a dumb move after the 1st round some where

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas can move one of their 2025 picks with the idea that round could be replaced by a comp pick.

IE Pollard = a 6th, for example, so they could move their 2025 6th rounder to move up if need be in day 3.

*I haven't followed estimated comp picks and if Pollard is higher or lower. Also his play/snap counts are a factor too
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Right now they have us losing 5 players eliglible for comp picks. Of course the max is 4.

They have us getting 3 - 5th rounds, and a 6th round. Then a 7th at the 5th player. All that can change with incentives of all players. Could move up or down.
I think with Tyrone Smith's contract, he could get us a 4th round.

jujoboys

Reaction score
We could trade our 5th or 6th round picks next year knowing that we will most likely get 3 comp picks in the 5th round and 1 comp pick in 6th round. However, we can't trade the actual comp pick until awarded. I'm not a big fan of this move because a 5th round pick next year is valued a round lower this year. I am more a fan of waiting until after the draft and using those draft picks for veteran players that are being put on the trade block because a team drafted soemone to replace them. You can sometimes get very good players for cheap value that way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just looked.
Robert Hunt, Miami, is projected a 3rd round comp pick, at $20 million. Tyron's contract with the Jets, I believe with incentives is $20 million.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Can't trade any 2025 comp picks that have not been awarded yet. They can trade their own picks though. And gamble they will get those comp picks.
However it would be dumb to trade a 4th round in 2025, hoping one of the comp picks will be a 4th. Then that will still be lower in the round than their own 4th.
It could be a 5th instead.

Not a wise move. I don't think our FO is that stupid. Sure they seem to do stupid things at times, but not that stupid.

However I would not be surprised if the traded a 2025 5th or 6th to move up in a round this year. Such as they did to get Eric Scott last year. I hate when they do that.
keep hearing all this comp pick stuff, I hear it in my sleep some times I swear, that and position flex! lol

John813

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Right now they have us losing 5 players eliglible for comp picks. Of course the max is 4.

They have us getting 3 - 5th rounds, and a 6th round. Then a 7th at the 5th player. All that can change with incentives of all players. Could move up or down.
I think with Tyrone Smith's contract, he could get us a 4th round.

Unfortunately he's capped at a 5th round pick per the retweet from Adam. But multiple 5ths would be good trade up bait