KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Posted today (9/8) on The Draft Network by Keith Sanchez

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/09/08/nfl-mock-draft-2025-september-nfl-week-1

Top 10

1. New York Giants​

Carson Beck, QB, Georgia

The expectation is that the New York Giants will have one of the worst offenses in the NFL and the Giants will finally turn the page from the Daniel Jones era. If that's the case, I'm expecting them to draft a quarterback. If the draft was right now, the best case would be for the Giants to take Carson Beck. Beck enters the Giants organization with a trio of young receivers to throw the football to, which should make his transition into the NFL easier. Beck is an accurate quarterback who is mobile enough to throw on the run and extend plays.

2. Carolina Panthers​

Mykel Williams, EDGE, Georgia

The Panthers spent a great deal of their assets improving this offense to support Bryce Young, which was much needed. With the hope that Bryce Young takes steps forward with this supporting cast (it didn't happen in Week 1), the next step would be to rebuild this defense. In the offseason, they traded away their premier edge rusher Brian Burns to the Giants, so with this pick, they attempt to replace him by drafting Georgia edge rusher Mykel Williams. Williams is a player who has tremendous upside with athleticism and all of the physical measurables to be a dominant edge rusher in the NFL.

3. New England Patriots​

Will Campbell, OT, LSU

The Patriots draft a premier LT to protect Drake Maye here. Maye had some high-level moments in the preseason and if they can put a good supporting cast of receivers and linemen with him, the Patriots may have their quarterback for the next 15 years.

4. Denver Broncos​

Tetairoa McMillan, WR, Arizona

The Broncos need a true No. 1 wide receiver to pair with Bo Nix if they expect the Nix experiment with Sean Payton to work. Tetairoa McMillan is a big-bodied receiver who dominates at the catch point but can also win down the field on vertical routes. This should play well as Nix has someone to target down the field with 50/50 balls that can turn into high-level completions. Nix will have a WR trio of Marvin Mims Jr., Troy Franklin, and McMillan to work with.

5. Tennessee Titans​

Abdul Carter, EDGE, Penn State

The Titans loaded up on the offensive side of the football with free agent signings and through the draft to help give Will Levis the best opportunity to succeed in the NFL. Now it's time to flip sides of the football and improve the defense. Over the past couple of years, the Titans have lost some key veterans. While Jeffery Simmons is still the dominant piece in the middle, he needs help. Abdul Carter is a versatile second-level defender who can play true stacked linebacker but also has the opportunity to be the best edge rusher in this class. Just think if Micah Parsons played for Tennessee.

6. Washington Commanders​

Will Johnson, CB, Michigan

The Commanders are still taking steps in the direction of revamping this entire team. In the 2024 draft, they went with LSU QB Jayden Daniels to be the offensive leader and playmaker for this team. Now for the 2025 draft, the expectation would be for them to find that key piece defensively. With this pick, I believe they draft the current consensus No. 1 corner in the draft, Will Johnson. Johnson is an elite cover corner who is scheme versatile and has the potential to eliminate one side of the field for Dan Quinn's defense.

7. New Orleans Saints​

Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas

At this point, the Saints' quarterback situation is one of the most complex in the NFL. With uncertainty about Derek Carr as the long-term starter and positive reviews about rookie Spencer Rattler, the Saints could go in several different directions. However, picking this high, they should take advantage and draft a QB like Quinn Ewers. Ewers is a high-IQ player, and although some may consider him slightly undersized, the Saints organization should be confident in that profile, considering they have seen it before with Drew Brees.

8. Las Vegas Raiders​

Shedeur Sanders, QB, Colorado

The old saying is if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. That is never truer than in the Raiders situation. The Raiders let Gardner Minshew and Aidan O Connell battle it out in the preseason and instead of someone winning the job, it seems that they just had to give it to someone. So with that being the case, the Raiders draft QB Shedeur Sanders in a true Raiders fashion. For all of what's said about Sanders, he is a gifted quarterback who embraces challenges and is mentally and physically tough. That's exactly what the Raiders need at the QB position.

9. Arizona Cardinals​

Travis Hunter, CB/WR, Colorado

I'm putting my vote in now for Travis Hunter playing wide receiver in the NFL. And with this pick, the Cardinals draft him to do so. Pairing Hunter with Marvin Harrison Jr. would instantly give the Cardinals one of the best one-two punches in the entire NFL at the wide receiver position. And yes, I would still let Hunter play corner from time to time.

10. Minnesota Vikings​

Mason Graham, IDL, Michigan

The Vikings have needed interior defense line help for many years now. Although they have tried to address the position, it just hasn't seemed to work. With this pick, they have another swing at it and draft Mason Graham. Graham can make a case for being the best player in the entire draft, showcasing to be dominant in both the run game and as a pass rusher. If the Vikings take Graham here, they will finally have their dominant interior defensive lineman to build the rest of the defense around.

Cowboys pick

25. Dallas Cowboys​

Omarion Hampton, RB, North Carolina

The Cowboys have finally paid CeeDee Lamb and Dak Prescott but there is still work to be done to get this offensive unit back to what it used to be. The Cowboys take the next step in that direction by drafting RB Omarion Hampton, a 6-foot, 220-pound back who can do it all, would be a good piece to draft to run behind this newly revamped offensive line and get the Cowboys back to dominantly running the football.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Two things I'm not buying:

1. Shedeur as a top-10 pick
2. Dallas taking a first-round RB
Shedeur has a few things going against him. He (and his dad) come across as unlikeable and that can hurt you when teams are thinking about making you their franchise quarterback. He also has zero blocking and Pat friggen Shurmur calling plays for him aka their very own version of Scott Linehan.

He does have talent, and this is an awful QB class for the 2025 draft, so he has a chance. It only takes one team.

Dallas (the Jones) are the kings of the overcorrection. Do not rule out them taking a RB in the last 1st, especially if there is a lot of late-season criticism regarding their RB's lack of effectiveness. (I thought Zeke was very solid yesterday, Dowdle was a zero).

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Shedeur has a few things going against him. He (and his dad) come across as unlikeable and that can hurt you when teams are thinking about making you their franchise quarterback. He also has zero blocking and Pat friggen Shurmur calling plays for him aka their very own version of Scott Linehan.

He does have talent, and this is an awful QB class for the 2025 draft, so he has a chance. It only takes one team.

Dallas (the Jones) are the kings of the overcorrection. Do not rule out them taking a RB in the last 1st, especially if there is a lot of late-season criticism regarding their RB's lack of effectiveness. (I thought Zeke was very solid yesterday, Dowdle was a zero).
I don't really buy Shedeur's talent as it translates to the NFL. Obviously, he has physical tools, but he doesn't do any of the things NFL QBs are asked to do - diagnose, stand in the pocket, deliver on time. Not all his fault, but it's such a high risk I don't see him going early (plus all the other stuff).

It's possible if there is a coaching change, but McCarthy doesn't want a bell cow like that. But maybe more important than that, this is a pretty strong DL class, and Dallas is going to have a bunch of holes on the DL. They have, generally, been good at focusing on key positions in the first round.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Shedeur may end up similar to Spencer Rattler. Character concerns caused him to slip to the 5th round (pick 150). But I think most teams would admit that was a mistake based on Rattler's talent and how he has looked so far.

I've watched most of his games the last three years at Colorado and Jackson State, a few live, and he had no chance at Colorado; that offensive line is horrible.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Posted (9/5) on CBS Sports by Josh Edwards

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...next-qb-in-top-10-but-defense-reigns-supreme/

Round 1 - Pick 1 Mykel Williams EDGE Georgia • Jr • 6'5" / 265 lbs
Offensive line is a bigger need but bypassing a better prospect just to check a box is a poor use of draft capital. If trades were being projected, this would be a classic spot. As it stands, they take a larger pass rusher who can help replace Matthew Judon.
Round 1 - Pick 2 Will Johnson CB Michigan • Jr • 6'2" / 202 lbs
Carolina pulled a lot of resources from its defense to upgrade Bryce Young's supporting cast. The 2025 NFL Draft is an opportunity to start reinvesting on that side of the ball and it begins with my No. 1 overall prospect.
Round 1 - Pick 3 Shedeur Sanders QB Colorado • Sr • 6'2" / 215 lbs
It is a long season. While I feel better about the depth of this year's quarterback class, I am not sure that it will produce the level of talent seen in last year's group. Sanders had a good debut but there is a long way to go before he solidifies himself as the top quarterback prospect.
Round 1 - Pick 4 Will Campbell OT LSU • Jr • 6'6" / 323 lbs
The presence of third-round selection Brandon Coleman is not going to deter the organization from drafting a potential franchise left tackle. They re-signed Sam Cosmi so the pieces are starting to come together with Will Campbell and, hopefully, Coleman.
Round 1 - Pick 5 James Pearce Jr. EDGE Tennessee • Jr • 6'5" / 243 lbs
Pearce's professional career begins in close proximity to where he made a name for himself in Knoxville. Tennessee has lacked a pass rusher of Pearce's caliber so perhaps he can provide some much-needed pass-rush juice.
Round 1 - Pick 6 Carson Beck QB Georgia • Sr • 6'4" / 220 lbs
I am not sure anyone won the quarterback battle between Gardner Minshew and Aidan O'Connell. When identifying teams that could be in the mix for a rookie quarterback next year, Las Vegas is among the first that come to mind.
Round 1 - Pick 7 Travis Hunter CB Colorado • Jr • 6'1" / 185 lbs
Travis Hunter looked much better as a wide receiver in the opener. Although it would be almost impossible to play both ways in the NFL, there is value to being able to play cornerback as well.
Round 1 - Pick 8 Abdul Carter EDGE Penn State • Jr • 6'3" / 252 lbs
Arizona and Washington were flush with draft capital a year ago but they still have needs across the roster. Carter gives them another body to man the fronts as coach Jonathan Gannon looks to take his team from feisty to threatening.
Round 1 - Pick 9 Deone Walker DL Kentucky • Jr • 6'6" / 345 lbs
For the second consecutive year, Minnesota uses a first-round pick to address its front seven. Minnesota's current roster is lacking an interior pass rush so Walker should elevate the Vikings in that area.
Round 1 - Pick 10 Tetairoa McMillan WR Arizona • Jr • 6'5" / 212 lbs
New Orleans has some complementary pieces at receiver to pair with Chris Olave, but McMillan would give them a strong duo. I believe New Orleans would give Spencer Rattler a chance at quarterback before outright drafting another rookie.

Cowboys pick
Round 1 - Pick 23 Malaki Starks S Georgia • Jr • 6'1" / 205 lbs

Dallas has a couple of veteran safeties and the cost is rising for Malik Hooker in the coming years. Starks is a clean safety prospect who would improve the future outlook of that position in Dallas.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'd almost always say no to a round-1 safety, but Starks can actually play man coverage too (ala Minkah). Would be a fun pick there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'd almost always say no to a round-1 safety, but Starks can actually play man coverage too (ala Minkah). Would be a fun pick there.
If Malaki Starks is available at pick 23 for the Cowboys, Jerry should fire everyone in the room for not insisting he traded up to 18 to get him.

Elite player.

Sydla

Reaction score

Bingo.

We used a 4th pick in the draft on a TB because Jerry panicked at the 2015 season being so bad despite the fact the RB likely had nothing to do with the results and instead the fact Romo was out was the biggest contributor to that. This was done after Jones said in the 2015 offseason that their research showed you don't get as much out of RB investments as you do other positions.

Thomas82

Reaction score
If we go running back in the 1st round, I want Ollie Gordon from Oklahoma State.

TheDank

Reaction score
If Malaki Starks is available at pick 23 for the Cowboys, Jerry should fire everyone in the room for not insisting he traded up to 18 to get him.

Elite player.
Sounds like I need to watch him. With our corners a ball hawking safety would be pretty amazing.