29sec-d

Viper

Reaction score
It’s a three point game. Romo and the offense just drove down the field scoring a TD. The game is close now, the score is 10-7. There is 29 seconds left on the clock, with two time outs remaining for the eagles. The D needs to buckle down to end the half. It’s gut check time. We have a chance to end the half on a solid note!

The eagles begin the drive on the 36 yard line. This should be easy, stop them and end the half. There is only one problem, our D steps onto the field. First play, is a nine yard run, eagles call a time out. Only one time out remaining! Garcia runs for a first down, eagles us their last time out. 16 seconds left, the eagles need to use the sidelines. Garcia uses 8 seconds and throws the ball. With 8 seconds left, Garcia drops back, Lewis hugs the sideline as he catches a 16 yard pass. Lewis runs out of bounce with 1 second left on the clock. Eagles kick a field goal, our D folds!

This one drive sums up our Defense. The eagles dominate us. The offense plays catch for up the rest of the game. The Cowboys fail to add any points in the second half. The Division no longer rest in our hands, we must depend on the eagles now. Hoping they fail to win their last game while and if we win ours.

Earlier in the year, we debated a new nick name for our Defense. Doomsday 3, the biggest misconception this year. My new nick, 29sec-D!

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Everyone in the entire nation was saying....all you have to defend is the sidelines and play safety to keep it out of the endzone and the half is over. What do we do? We give them a 16 yard pass to the SIDELINE?

Haley94

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1260646 said:
Everyone in the entire nation was saying....all you have to defend is the sidelines and play safety to keep it out of the endzone and the half is over. What do we do? We give them a 16 yard pass to the SIDELINE?

I know. That was a joke. I wish Zimmer would have taken that job at Nebraska.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I really wish some reporters could ask BP some intelligent questions about his defensive schemes and why they choose to run the cover two and fail to check the flats consistently during games. And why do we run so much man? Its obvious that our guys can't cover (that includes Newman getting burnt by a TE on a simple square in route) guys one on one, especially Henry.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score

No, the coaching staff brings Owens in on defense to defend the Hail Mary. That type of decision alone shows everything you need to know about the cluelessness of the staff.

Did they misread the clock and think there were only 3 seconds left? Did they misread the LOS and think the Eagles were on their own 20 yard line?

Plus that stupid field goal cost me a fantasy title again this year.

Viper

Reaction score

We also allowed them to run up the gut for huge gains twice on that drive. Very disappointing.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1260676 said:
No, the coaching staff brings Owens in on defense to defend the Hail Mary. That type of decision alone shows everything you need to know about the cluelessness of the staff.

Did they misread the clock and think there were only 3 seconds left? Did they misread the LOS and think the Eagles were on their own 20 yard line?

Plus that stupid field goal cost me a fantasy title again this year.
The point is the Coverage on that particular play was too loose.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Viper;1260703 said:
We also allowed them to run up the gut for huge gains twice on that drive. Very disappointing.

I agree with the up the gut comment but at least that runs the clock. I can see that. I had not thought of the fact they brought TO meaning that they were ONLY defending the hail mary but now that you look back on it....what were the D coaches thinking?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
not too mention, had we kicked the first FG it woulda been 10-10 and things could have changed, that 4th down play sucked some life out of me as it happened, I am sure it did the same to the team.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
That's when I knew we'd lose the game. I think a lot of other people did too. You only put TO in with a few seconds left, not eight.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
bringing in TO with those 8 seconds was one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. Coaching staff must've thought the Eagles were going for the hail mary. When I saw TO run onto the field I almost passed out with disbelief. I wished they would've just called timeout like it looked like they were going to do. Dumb decision.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Not to mention bringing in T.O......for what? To much time for that.....and you cannot tell me T.O. can play center field any better then 6'5'' Watkins

Viper

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1261030 said:
I agree with the up the gut comment but at least that runs the clock. I can see that. I had not thought of the fact they brought TO meaning that they were ONLY defending the hail mary but now that you look back on it....what were the D coaches thinking?

You have 29 sec left in the half, you run a draw, your pretty much saying...let's run out the clock and take it to half time. But no, they get a 9 yard gain, give the eagles a spark of hope!