2nd and 6 - TE Screen to Witten?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Only caught the 1st half on TV and thought the Cowboys deserved to be winning and although only barely, thought they won each of the 3 phases of the game that half....

Looks like the 2 fumbles lost/turnovers I see on the stat sheet for 2nd half, and reading about a Dez dropped pass, cost us the game...

I'm not sure if you call the play a "TE Screen" but does anyone else think any play-call that requires Witten to be standing still or moving sideways when he catches the ball, is a VERY poor play call. Love me some Witten, but the guy is the least "quick" player from a standstill on offense and every time this has been called as a play in prior seasons it has been never successful (and basically got Witten killed in the pre-season last year!).

Earlier in the game, It was 2nd and 6 and we call that play and Witten gets stuffed on before he can get going, = 2 yard loss. Instead of a being 3rd and short (if you run for a couple of yards) or any of the myriad of other options you have on 2nd and 6 - since it is not a very predictable down - you are now at 3rd and 8. Now our squad is going to be pretty predictable on 3rd and 8.

That is the sort of thing that doesn't make sense to me. Not sure if that is Romo, now that he has more authority to call those, or if that is now Callahan, but why? Don't think it was an audible...

Witten needs to be down the field finding the soft spot, he doesn't have the acceleration to catch the ball at a stop and then burst upfield. Leave that to the quick WR's and RB's.

Little things like that bug me more than some other things? It is not playing to a strength.

I also think there was an offensive P/I penalty on Dez early in game that was pretty questionable.

Those 2 plays cost us some drives in the 1st half that might have led to more points........

Need to watch 2nd half if and when NFL network replays it...

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
This a phenomenal post that wont get much traffic. It has come to the point tha if we give witten 10 targets and 8 catches for > 0yards we think we have the league on its heels

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
This a phenomenal post that wont get much traffic. It has come to the point tha if we give witten 10 targets and 8 catches for > 0yards we think we have the league on its heels

Thanks - I'm listening to the radio now, and apparently we threw a bubble screen in redzone in the 2nd half that didn't go anywhere as well. Last week, didn't that cost us the pick to Williams last week too?
This might be Romo needing to improve too, but I sure hope those are the calls that aren't coming in. Gotta be more creative or aggressive than that! Would rather run the ball or throw to RB's than those down there in red-zone....

I love Witten, but I have to agree. If your TE is considered your main "weapon" (not anymore, now that Dez is here, but probably was for years) then you really aren't scaring anyone - because that player might move chains, but probably isn't winning you many games.....
1000 yard + seasons from your TE if you aren't scoring enough TD's and can't run the ball - probably does mean mediocrity - that isn't a very strong team identity!

Again, this is not AT ALL a shot at Witten, I just feel that shouldn't be your focus usually, on most football teams.....

I would try not to throw to Witten unless you need your great-handed security blanket to move the chains (in which case short passes where Witten has forward or at least diagonal momentum, FINE) OR throw the ball down the field to him where he can find the soft spot on a defense - but think about it - play to strengths!

From a running play, at least you can build in some play-action.....

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Thanks - I'm listening to the radio now, and apparently we threw a bubble screen in redzone in the 2nd half that didn't go anywhere as well. Last week, didn't that cost us the pick to Williams last week too?
This might be Romo needing to improve too, but I sure hope those are the calls that aren't coming in. Gotta be more creative or aggressive than that! Would rather run the ball or throw to RB's than those down there in red-zone....

I love Witten, but I have to agree. If your TE is considered your main "weapon" (not anymore, now that Dez is here, but probably was for years) then you really aren't scaring anyone - because that player might move chains, but probably isn't winning you many games.....
1000 yard + seasons from your TE if you aren't scoring enough TD's and can't run the ball - probably does mean mediocrity - that isn't a very strong team identity!

Again, this is not AT ALL a shot at Witten, I just feel that shouldn't be your focus usually, on most football teams.....

I would try not to throw to Witten unless you need your great-handed security blanket to move the chains (in which case short passes where Witten has forward or at least diagonal momentum, FINE) OR throw the ball down the field to him where he can find the soft spot on a defense - but think about it - play to strengths!

From a running play, at least you can build in some play-action.....

Spot on...that stupid screen was audibled while dez had 1on1. Laughable from all bar patrons

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
The play that stands out to me is Dez is 1 on 1 in the red zone, and we call(obviously a designed play) a bubble screen to Terrance Williams on 3rd down. Smh. Seriously?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Agree and it has been a problem for awhile now. Romo(and the scheme) is too dependent on Witten. Teams know this and allow him to get receptions because they know they can limit his yardage. Let him stay in to block and/or go find the soft spots but he is used too much in this offense.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The play that stands out to me is Dez is 1 on 1 in the red zone, and we call(obviously a designed play) a bubble screen to Terrance Williams on 3rd down. Smh. Seriously?

And people thought Jason Garrett's playcalling was the issue in the past. Not sure if the Williams bubble screen was Bill Callahan's call or Romo's audible at the line. I doubt we ever will know.