3 disturbing stats

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Two int's all year?
This pace by years end means out of 16 games, opposing Q.B.'s threw only 4 int's on the year, and one INT is by Ellis, totally PATHETIC, and I think it's a direct corralation to us not blitzing enough to force errant throws.
We rely on Ware and Ware only in a 4 man rush, we need to mix it up more like we did when Henry blitzed and had 2 sacks in one game, and like we did last week mixing up different blitzes from different L.B.'s, but 2 int's all year is PATHETIC!

Second is sacks, Ellis only has 3 sacks, he's really slowed down this year and lost his last step, I think when Spencer comes back, he needs to start over Ellis and we need someone on the D-line other then Ratfliff get SOME pressure, Canty had a lot of Q.B. pressures and Q.B. knockdowns last week, hope he picks it up more, but we need Hatcher or Tank or someone else to put pressure.
Oh, and can we STOP with this trying to make Ware an all around L.B., make him what hes meant to be, Lawrence Taylor, and have him blitzing EVERY DOWN or at least 9 out of 10 downs, cause it's a WASTE to play him as a zone L.b. instead of just blitzing every down like L.T. used to do, we're wasting his talents, he'd have 13 sacks right now on his way to breaking the NFL record, but we drop him into coverage WAY too much, not only that, MOVE HIM from the left side to the right side and back and forth all game so the offense doesn't know which side he'll be lined up on evey play, just more coaching mistakes IMO.

3rd stat is odd, Pacman had 16 punt returns with ZERO fair catches, Crayton has 3 punt returns with SIX Fair catches?????
Does anyone else on our team return punts?
Craytons had one good return, but we know Crayton is basically a good hands guy who will basically 99% of the time just make a fair catch or get you 3 yards and get tackled on a return, don't we have anyone else to return punts?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2384444 said:
Two int's all year?

Explanation: Newman and Pacman are not playing, too large of cushions only allow the DB to tackle the WR not break up or intercept a pass. The picks should come with the DBs starting to press more.

ThatsmyQB;2384444 said:
Second is sacks, Ellis only has 3 sacks

Explanation: Can be attributed to the fact that the QB has been getting rid of the ball quickly because of the cushions. Also, Ellis is old and has had to spend too much time on the field covering downfield. Spencer returning should help out and the DBs pressing as mentioned above should help out in the area.

ThatsmyQB;2384444 said:
3rd stat is odd, Pacman had 16 punt returns with ZERO fair catches

Explanation: Did you see how many of these punt returns would have been much further had Pacman just run straight forward rather than dancing around? This led to short gains or long gains nullified because blockers had to hold/hit in the back to prevent him from being tackled so far back. I don't care for Crayton returning punts either, but I know that he isn't going to get 10 yards subtracted either.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Our DBs were playing way too far off the receivers even before Adam got suspended and Newman went down with an injury. It's a flawed scheme IMO. As far as QB pressure, I've never seen a team get so close to so many sacks as we have this year. When we played Philly in the 2nd week, we were close to 10-12 sacks, but just couldn't close the deal. Same last week. We often get pressure, but it comes just a split second too late. I agree that we should mix our blitzes up more. I like sending a corner or an inside line backer every now and then. Not all the time, but just every now and then. It keeps offenses off balance. IMO, our defense is way, way too predictable and that's our main defensive problem. We dont' move people around enough and don't mix up our blitzes. It's easy for offenses to game plan against us.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2384458 said:
Explanation: Did you see how many of these punt returns would have been much further had Pacman just run straight forward rather than dancing around? This led to short gains or long gains nullified because blockers had to hold/hit in the back to prevent him from being tackled so far back. I don't care for Crayton returning punts either, but I know that he isn't going to get 10 yards subtracted either.
No excuses for guys blocking in the back, it's pretty simple - if you see a guys name, don't touch him.

Pac gave us something even with bad blocking, Crayton gives us nothing. Maybe Austin could practice fielding punts.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
We're fifth in the league in sacks. I think we're blitzing plenty.

And more INTs will come. It's more likely that we revert to the mean than that we continue at this pace for the rest of the year IMO.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Clove;2384840 said:
No excuses for guys blocking in the back, it's pretty simple - if you see a guys name, don't touch him.

Pac gave us something even with bad blocking, Crayton gives us nothing. Maybe Austin could practice fielding punts.

What does that matter? Pac dancing around meant there was more of a chance of getting penalized. I would be curious as to what Pac's "Zero Fair Catches" netted us in total yards if you include the penalties made while he was dancing sideline to sideline.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the problem is that we don't have many Cbs who know how to make a play on the ball

Henry does, but he just doesn't have that burst to close in on the ball, and it doesn't help when he's playing 8/10 yards off the receiver

Newman has hands of stone

PacMan is rusty, he dropped a few, and is suspended

Mike Jenkins is fast enough and has the burst, but he's more of a guy who will stick his hand in there and break up the pass, he's not an INT guy

Scandrick has the speed and burst, the recognition, but he's not a big hands guy either

we don't need to go to a stricly man scheme to hopefully get more INTs, we need to give the WRs smaller cushions so as to be right there, and allowing Jenkins and Scandrick a small window where they can use their speed and burst to hopefully snag some balls

WarC

Reaction score
The CBs have been playing with huge cushions all year. By the time the pass is coming in all they can do is run forward and make the tackle, from what I'm seeing they're rarely in a position to make a play on the ball.

The philosophy seems to be to let the CBs give up the short routes in favor of preventing the big play, hope and pray for the rush to stop the dink and dunk in three downs.

I like the safety blitzes though. Hamlin got in there a few times against Tampa. I'd like to see that happen more. The positive thing about the CBs giving so much cushion is it frees up the safeties a little more to do those sorta things, since your reducing the risk of the big play. It'd be a little more conducive to Roy Williams' play style as well.

In A Perfect World its a nice defense. The injuries and Pac's suspension are really hurting though.

MCowboys

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2384444 said:
Two int's all year?

Oh, and can we STOP with this trying to make Ware an all around L.B., make him what hes meant to be, Lawrence Taylor, and have him blitzing EVERY DOWN or at least 9 out of 10 downs, cause it's a WASTE to play him as a zone L.b. instead of just blitzing every down like L.T. used to do, we're wasting his talents, he'd have 13 sacks right now on his way to breaking the NFL record, but we drop him into coverage WAY too much, not only that, MOVE HIM from the left side to the right side and back and forth all game so the offense doesn't know which side he'll be lined up on evey play, just more coaching mistakes IMO.

Say we are in our base 3-4 defense, naturally our 3 lineman are all rushing, but then we have Ware and Ellis both on the field too. I understand that Ware should rush the majority of the time, but if we sent him every time, then what would we do with Ellis (or whom ever is on the other side)? Would Ellis also rush every time (rushing 5 every time), or would you want him covering guys? Neither seems like that great an idea.