3 problems the Dallas Cowboys still need to solve after beating the New York Giants

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just 3???

3 problems the Dallas Cowboys still need to solve after beating the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football
Story by Criss Partee
9/30/24

The Dallas Cowboys secured a much-needed win against the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football, edging out the division rival 20-15. While the jubilation in Dallas is palpable, a closer look at the game reveals critical areas where Dallas still needs significant improvement. Addressing these issues will be vital for the Cowboys to remain in contention late into the season.

1. Inconsistency on offense
2. Lingering questions on defense
3. Coaching and team identity

Something has to give - These Cowboys have all the potential in the world, yet the problems they've faced cannot be ignored. From inconsistencies offensively to defensive vulnerability and coaching indecision, these are not just bumps in the road — they're problems that equate to mountains rather than molehills. For the Cowboys to remain competitive this season, tackling these problems with urgency should be a top priority. If they cannot make some changes soon, it could be McCarthy’s post where the change is made in the offseason.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=e4e0ef6e6b5242bf8157dd2fdfe7d27e&ei=31

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I disagree. I dont think this team has all the potential. Micah, Dlaw are hurt. DT are nothing short of terrible. LBers are chasing ghosts. Seatbelt lost his tensioner. Diggs is playing half a mile from the WR. Guyton has a learning curve. Qb 4 is playing like the JAG he is. RB's are well below avg. CD is becoming a diva now that he is paid.

Where is the potential?

Only potential I see is not making the playoffs, coaches getting fired and forced to live with Dak for the next 4 seasons.

This is not getting fixed anytime soon.

75boyz

Reaction score
I disagree. I dont think this team has all the potential. Micah, Dlaw are hurt. DT are nothing short of terrible. LBers are chasing ghosts. Seatbelt lost his tensioner. Diggs is playing half a mile from the WR. Guyton has a learning curve. Qb 4 is playing like the JAG he is. RB's are well below avg. CD is becoming a diva now that he is paid.

Where is the potential?

Only potential I see is not making the playoffs, coaches getting fired and forced to live with Dak for the next 4 seasons.

Extremely hard to argue any of this.
Very valid and/or truthful response.

Praxit

Reaction score
...#3 wont get solved this year or probably never.

The offense will be fine. Rooks are getting better. I would bring up Cooks, for a shot.

As for defense. The facts are in, neither Dlaw or Parsons were making much of impact these last 3 games.

We will miss Parsons respect he gets on the field. But the guy is looking tired out there. DL position is wearing him out.

NFC is wide open, SEEMS like most teams are on PAR with each other. We are in this for long run of season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Where is the potential?

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
...#3 wont get solved this year or probably never.

The offense will be fine. Rooks are getting better. I would bring up Cooks, for a shot.

As for defense. The facts are in, neither Dlaw or Parsons were making much of impact these last 3 games.

We will miss Parsons respect he gets on the field. But the guy is looking tired out there. DL position is wearing him out.

NFC is wide open, SEEMS like most teams are on PAR with each other. We are in this for long run of season.
I don't get what he's so worn out about?????? He's a football player, he's not always getting blocked by 2 people, yes it happens on certain plays, but what is he tired from, this excuse is getting old (don't get mad at me bud), it's nuts!!!! Aren't the other pass rushers tired??? Yet they have a job to do, all of these players have a job to do, is PASS rusher the only position on the field where players get tired? CB's they're running on every play, shouldn't they be worn out??

Praxit

Reaction score
I don't get what he's so worn out about?????? He's a football player, he's not always getting blocked by 2 people, yes it happens on certain plays, but what is he tired from, this excuse is getting old (don't get mad at me bud), it's nuts!!!! Aren't the other pass rushers tired??? Yet they have a job to do, all of these players have a job to do, is PASS rusher the only position on the field where players get tired? CB's they're running on every play, shouldn't they be worn out??
..lol.. obviously you never played football with pads n helmet. When you get BIG bodies on you, every down or play.

The body punishment begins exponentially wear on you. Micah deals with double teams probably 70% of time.

Thats 300lb x 2 of muscle and fat. In physics that's like trying to constantly move two refrigerators that fight back.

Yes, you are going to wear, ....and fast.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
..lol.. obviously you never played football with pads n helmet. When you get BIG bodies on you, every down or play.

The body punishment begins exponentially wear on you. Micah deals with double teams probably 70% of time.

Thats 300lb x 2 of muscle and fat. In physics that's like trying to constantly move two refrigerators that fight back.

Yes, you are going to wear, ....and fast.
I actually played football and I was better than you!! Lol, I was the actual guy responsible for blocking Micah (OT)

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just 3???

3 problems the Dallas Cowboys still need to solve after beating the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football
Story by Criss Partee
9/30/24

The Dallas Cowboys secured a much-needed win against the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football, edging out the division rival 20-15. While the jubilation in Dallas is palpable, a closer look at the game reveals critical areas where Dallas still needs significant improvement. Addressing these issues will be vital for the Cowboys to remain in contention late into the season.

Something has to give - These Cowboys have all the potential in the world, yet the problems they've faced cannot be ignored. From inconsistencies offensively to defensive vulnerability and coaching indecision, these are not just bumps in the road — they're problems that equate to mountains rather than molehills. For the Cowboys to remain competitive this season, tackling these problems with urgency should be a top priority. If they cannot make some changes soon, it could be McCarthy’s post where the change is made in the offseason.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=e4e0ef6e6b5242bf8157dd2fdfe7d27e&ei=31
I wonder how Mahomes keeps winning with inconsistency on offense?

Maybe it has something to do with the defense giving up 10 points.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just 3???

Story by Criss Partee
9/30/24

I was gonna share my thoughts, but you didn't ask for them....
:huh:;):huh:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Root causes for problems on the field always end up being awareness, execution and technique.

Sometimes pure physical talent and schemes will influence the outcome ofthe game, but most of the time teams are farily equal. It just ends up being a case of who will understand the down, distance, play design, executing their job and winning with good technique.

If you hit on all of these things it's not guranteed that you will win every play, but you will perform very well. If you can get 22 players doing this consistently you got yourself a football team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The potential is in abandoning the run and putting some pressure on opponents.

They are so much better when they don't force themselves to get behind the chains by running the ball early. Hopefully they start to use more motion, play action, and additional misdirection to make things easier, too.

That said, it doesn't really matter if they don't add talent at WR.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Opposing Offense knows all they have to do is get Micah and Dlaw blocked and the cake is there for the slicing.
Teams have adjusted to Zimmers scheme now. They only have like 30 years of film to figure out his tendencies.
Kendricks has been as solid as one could expect from a starting 32 year old vet MLB. Hes no Fred Warner, but he will get you 120 tackles this year.
The other 8 guys are currently playing like JAGS. Only impact player has been Overshown but he makes 1 really bad play for every great play.
This team will get gashed all year against the run. I don't see how they can prevent that from happening with the makeup of the roster.
No Dlaw and Micah? Man this could get ugly based on the upcoming schedule. 6 very losable games in a row. All of them can run the football.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
The potential is in abandoning the run and putting some pressure on opponents.

They are so much better when they don't force themselves to get behind the chains by running the ball early. Hopefully they start to use more motion, play action, and additional misdirection to make things easier, too.

That said, it doesn't really matter if they don't add talent at WR.

I listened to two different National shows on XM and both said that the Cowboys & Jets are running 1980s offenses with no motion, essentially saying the receivers can’t get separation because of what is being done schematically. They blamed Dak & Rodgers for the archaic approach as that is what both are comfortable with and don’t want to come into 2024.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I listened to two different National shows on XM and both said that the Cowboys & Jets are running 1980s offenses with no motion, essentially saying the receivers can’t get separation because of what is being done schematically. They blamed Dak & Rodgers for the archaic approach as that is what both are comfortable with and don’t want to come into 2024.
They're speculating that.

But it doesn't really matter. The motion and pre-snap stuff can manufacture looks - but the reality is that Tolbert and Cooks can't beat man coverage because they can't get vertical. The offense is archaic, but it gives 1-1 opportunities that they can't capitalize on.

plasticman

Reaction score
So the problem is offense, defense and coaching.

Didn't Aubrey miss his last field goal attempt?